03-17-10 10:58 PM
168 123 ...
tools
    Well, thanks for nothing to the Verizon fanboys (and girls) who so dutifully notified us, in several threads, that tethering without paying for it is a breech of contract. Now, thanks to you, I won't be tethering. Not for fear of getting caught, mind you; we all know that won't happen, but because in doing so I will be breaking my word.

And THAT p!sses me off.

Prior to that little tidbit of information, I would have been perfectly justified, both morally and ethically, to tether to my heart's content, for a plethora of reasons.

Topping the list was ignorance, albeit willful, and ignorance is ethical bliss. Yes, I was aware that Verizon charges $30/mo to tether, but is it my fault there are applications available like TetherBerry and PDAnet that enable me to tether with no additional charges? Certainly not. Obviously, Verizon is well aware of how Tether (formally TetherBerry) works; that traffic is diverted through Tether's servers, and that it makes it appear as though it is a normal handheld data request. People who use Tether seem to think that it is a secret that needs to be kept from Verizon. Lol, trust me, they know. If they were that concerned about it, they could actually name Tether in their contract as a banned service/application. They could also require RIM to block data access via Tether's servers by either putting it in the firmware (at least in official OS's), or by hardcoding it into the device. But they don't do any of that.

The next justification I had was that 5 GB is 5 GB, no matter how you slice it. I am paying for a data package which allows me to use 5 GB of data from my BlackBerry per month. Who friggin cares how that data is being used? It's not putting them out any if I split up that usage between my BB and my laptop. This is why I never bought into the argument that all the "tow the line" reps have been using about "stealing". It's not stealing; I'm paying for 5 GB and I'm using 5 GB. Now, if I was going over the allotted bandwidth, then I could see their point.

To illustrate my point, let's say that I agreed to pay a water company $30/mo for a big barrel of nice, pure spring water. Every month, I go in and hand them my barrel, and they fill it to the top. I am happy to pay for this service, and they are happy to fill my barrel. I go home, drink a little, give some to my dog, water my plant with it, and at the end of the month I even have a little left over just for good measure. The next month, I go in to have my barrel filled again, and they are happy do to it. However, they inform me that there is some fine print in my contract that forbids me to give any to my dog, and since I did (my dog told on me, I guess), my bill that month will be $1000 for doggie water overages if I want my barrel to be filled again.

You see, what does it matter to them how I use the friggin water? They aren't out any water. I used the same amount I would have had I not given any to my dog. I didn't come in with 2 barrels demanding they fill 2 for the price of one, for crying out loud. And I'm certainly not paying an extra $30/mo to put the SAME amount of water in the SAME barrel just because I gave some to my dog!

I know that example is a bit simplistic, but I think it accurately illustrates how asinine VZW's tethering policy is. It's purely about revenue. I am not using any more of their bandwidth just because I am tethering. I'm also NOT going to pay them to tether, because I am already paying for that very same 5 GB.

So this leaves me with one option, and that's not to tether. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but for me it is. I am only home one to two days a month, and doing 100% of all my internet activities on my BB while on the road is not ideal. It's actually becoming cumbersome and quite laborious. I have a great 17" widescreen laptop that is sitting virtually unused because I cancelled my VZW air card to trim our budget. (Times are tough)

So here I sit, typing this out on my 9630 Tour from the cab of my Peterbilt semi truck, 2000 miles from home, having a great need to have internet on my laptop, and also having the ability, but not the funds, to tether. But now, because some holier than thou Verizon fanboy posts the contract, now that I've actually seen it, I am bound by my word to honor it. Yeah, I know, I should have been the only customer in history to pour over the fine print of the contract in a crowded Verizon store while there is a line of people impatiently waiting behind me. And yes, I know that I signed it and therefore I am responsible for it. Spare me the woulda/coulda/shoulda's. I also know, and agree, that the purpose of a company is to generate revenue. The whole tethering thing is just over the top IMO.

What a crappy development. I was just about to take advantage of Tether's special this week of 50% off too.

However, a man is only as good as his word.

Whatever.

/end rant

Here come the "what's the point if this thread" and "why even bother posting if you have already come to a conclusion" posts. I won't be acknowledging those. My point was to vent, primarily at VZW, and vent is what I did.

Posted from my CrapBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-09-10 at 12:24 AM.
    01-08-10 10:05 PM
    I also blame Comcast for charging for Premium channels and fining people who steal Premium channels. I mean the channels are there regardless. Who cares if I use it for free and others have to pay for it. If Comcast had such a problem with it they would identify the people stealing cable and turn off the service. If I paid the fee the service, it is still there, they didn't have to build anything or add any different hardware, its just different channels. I can't believe that they would charge for different channels that are there to begin with. I just wanted to rant with you. Because I wanted to blame someone for stealing...so I blame dolphins and whales. **** you Dolphin! **** you Whale! -end sarcas......end rant-
    01-08-10 10:43 PM
    I also blame Comcast for charging for Premium channels and fining people who steal Premium channels. I mean the channels are there regardless. Who cares if I use it for free and others have to pay for it. If Comcast had such a problem with it they would identify the people stealing cable and turn off the service. If I paid the fee the service, it is still there, they didn't have to build anything or add any different hardware, its just different channels. I can't believe that they would charge for different channels that are there to begin with. I just wanted to rant with you. Because I wanted to blame someone for stealing...so I blame dolphins and whales. **** you Dolphin! **** you Whale! -end sarcas......end rant-
    Ahh, but see, that's apples and oranges. If you want to compare apples to apples, then let's use Comcast Cable Internet in the example instead of cable TV.

I have Comcast at home; both for internet and for cable TV. I signed up for cable internet, and cable internet is what I got. It's not Comcast's business how many devices I am accessing their internet with. I have 5 PC's, my kids' XBox, PS3, PSP's, wii, etc, all accessing the internet through one account. They are not charging me for a dozen accounts. And I'm not stealing by doing it. Nor is it stealing to tether without paying extra fees to VZW.

It's not stealing, it's breaking your word. Both are equally wrong, to be certain, but they are two entirely different things. As I said above, if I were to tether, I pay for 5 GB and I use 5 GB. I am not stealing more bandwidth than 5 GB.

Another reason that your example isn't an accurate comparison is because Comcast pays more for premium channels, therefore they have to sell them for more. Verizon, however, doesn't pay any more just because you tether, because you are staying within the 5 GB limitation.

Apples to apples.

That's all you got from my thread? The stealing thing?

Wow.

What is the relevance of dolphins and whales? Are you ok? There are people that can help you with that.

You also hinted that I want to "blame someone" for my "stealing." If you would have finished reading, you would have noticed that I am not tethering. I decided not to. Read before you post.

Posted from my 9630 at
    wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-08-10 at 11:44 PM.
    01-08-10 10:55 PM
    Ahh, but see, that's apples and oranges. If you want to compare apples to apples, then let's use Comcast Cable Internet in the example instead of cable TV.

I have Comcast at home; both for internet and for cable TV. I signed up for cable internet, and cable internet is what I got. It's not Comcast's business how many devices I am accessing their internet with. I have 5 PC's, my kids' XBox, PS3, PSP's, wii, etc, all accessing the internet through one account. They are not charging me for a dozen accounts. And I'm not stealing by doing it. Nor is it stealing to tether without paying extra fees to VZW.

It's not stealing, it's breaking your word. Both are equally wrong, to be certain, but they are two entirely different things. As I said above, if I were to tether, I pay for 5 GB and I use 5 GB. I am not stealing more bandwidth than 5 GB.

Apples to apples.

That's all you got from my thread? The stealing thing?

Wow.

You also hinted that I "blame someone" for my "stealing." If you would have finished reading, you would have noticed that I am not tethering. I decided not to. Read before you post.

Posted from my 9630 at
    wapforums.crackberry.com
    Gotta say I 100% agree with you that vzw policy is bull..I am paying for unlimited data on my storm, and to me that means UNLIMITED, not limited to my phone. My biggest issue is the number of non mobile friendly sites on the web, and I often wonder if there's a lawsuit in that in some way, since it is a sort of backhanded limitation on their part, given that you know that they knew about that, which is why they've designed it that way. The second problem I have is paying another $30 to use less data than on my phone...its a deliberate rip off as far as I'm concerned. That's why I took advantage. Of the free trial and then cut it off before they could charge me, just to kind of screw them back. Maybe if they charged an extra $5 a month to plug my laptop into the data plan I'm already paying for, I'd happily do it without complaint. But that's not what its about with vzw, its appearantly about making your customers feel used so that they move on to a competitor as soon as possible.
    I have 2 friends who have already moved on because they are as insulted by this as I am, and. I'm joining them as soon as my contract is up. I know, that only makes 4 I know of now that are unhappy with vzw's bs, which is hardly a significant portion of their customer base, but of there are 4, them there are probably more out there, and that's just among those who are aware of this. I doubt that this will change anything, but there's nothing like feeling like you're getting ***** that'll make you move on quicker. Vote with your wallet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 11:45 PM
    greenthumb1: Switching carriers isn't a viable option for me. I run in 48 states and nothing, I mean nothing, compares to Verizon's coverage. I've been with them for years. I'm actually quite pleased with everything else about VZW, it's just the tethering thing that sticks in my craw.

01-09-10 12:00 AM
    Nor is it stealing to tether without paying extra fees to VZW.

I agreed with you up to that point.

Verizon Wireless charges for the tethering feature. It's theft of services if someone were to tether without paying for the feature (the 5 GB argument is irrelevant if they are not paying for the tethering feature). It's perfectly legal for a company to place restrictions on how their services may be used (as ridiculous as they may be).
    01-09-10 12:24 AM
    greenthumb1: Switching carriers isn't a viable option for me. I run in 48 states and nothing, I mean nothing, compares to Verizon's coverage. I've been with them for years. I'm actually quite pleased with everything else about VZW, it's just the tethering thing that sticks in my craw.

Well...sounds like they've got ya by the short n curlies...oh well, to each their own ;-D

01-09-10 12:29 AM
    I agreed with you up to that point.

Verizon Wireless charges for the tethering feature. It's theft of services if someone were to tether without paying for the feature (the 5 GB argument is irrelevant if they are not paying for the tethering feature). It's perfectly legal for a company to place restrictions on how their services may be used (as ridiculous as they may be).
    Well, you make a really good point. When you say, "theft of service", it almost begins to makes sense to me. I see the legality of it but not the logic behind it, excluding revenue generation, of course.

Actually, I haven't been disputing the legality of it. Something can be perfectly legal, yet unethical and illogical at the same time. I guess I like things to make sense, to follow a logical flow, and it's absurd for them to ask us to pay more for the same bandwidth usage from the same device just because they can. The device has the ability to tether built into it from RIM, it's not something that VZW adds to it or pays more for, so in my logical little perfect world, lol, it should follow that the consumer shouldn't pay more for it either. Now, if it was a feature that was added by VZW, or something that cost them more to provide the service for, then it would make sense.

But no, I'm not disputing the legality of it at all.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-09-10 at 01:13 AM.
    01-09-10 01:10 AM
    Well, thanks for nothing to the Verizon fanboys (and girls) who so dutifully notified us, in several threads, that tethering without paying for it is a breech of contract. Now, thanks to you, I won't be tethering. Not for fear of getting caught, mind you; we all know that won't happen, but because in doing so I will be breaking my word.

And THAT p!sses me off.

Prior to that little tidbit of information, I would have been perfectly justified, both morally and ethically, to tether to my heart's content, for a plethora of reasons.

Topping the list was ignorance, albeit willful, and ignorance is ethical bliss. Yes, I was aware that Verizon charges $30/mo to tether, but is it my fault there are applications available like TetherBerry and PDAnet that enable me to tether with no additional charges? Certainly not. Obviously, Verizon is well aware of how Tether (formally TetherBerry) works; that traffic is diverted through Tether's servers, and that it makes it appear as though it is a normal handheld data request. People who use Tether seem to think that it is a secret that needs to be kept from Verizon. Lol, trust me, they know. If they were that concerned about it, they could actually name Tether in their contract as a banned service/application. They could also require RIM to block data access via Tether's servers by either putting it in the firmware (at least in official OS's), or by hardcoding it into the device. But they don't do any of that.

The next justification I had was that 5 GB is 5 GB, no matter how you slice it. I am paying for a data package which allows me to use 5 GB of data from my BlackBerry per month. Who friggin cares how that data is being used? It's not putting them out any if I split up that usage between my BB and my laptop. This is why I never bought into the argument that all the "tow the line" reps have been using about "stealing". It's not stealing; I'm paying for 5 GB and I'm using 5 GB. Now, if I was going over the allotted bandwidth, then I could see their point.

To illustrate my point, let's say that I agreed to pay a water company $30/mo for a big barrel of nice, pure spring water. Every month, I go in and hand them my barrel, and they fill it to the top. I am happy to pay for this service, and they are happy to fill my barrel. I go home, drink a little, give some to my dog, water my plant with it, and at the end of the month I even have a little left over just for good measure. The next month, I go in to have my barrel filled again, and they are happy do to it. However, they inform me that there is some fine print in my contract that forbids me to give any to my dog, and since I did (my dog told on me, I guess), my bill that month will be $1000 for doggie water overages if I want my barrel to be filled again.

You see, what does it matter to them how I use the friggin water? They aren't out any water. I used the same amount I would have had I not given any to my dog. I didn't come in with 2 barrels demanding they fill 2 for the price of one, for crying out loud. And I'm certainly not paying an extra $30/mo to put the SAME amount of water in the SAME barrel just because I gave some to my dog!

I know that example is a bit simplistic, but I think it accurately illustrates how asinine VZW's tethering policy is. It's purely about revenue. I am not using any more of their bandwidth just because I am tethering. I'm also NOT going to pay them to tether, because I am already paying for that very same 5 GB.

So this leaves me with one option, and that's not to tether. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but for me it is. I am only home one to two days a month, and doing 100% of all my internet activities on my BB while on the road is not ideal. It's actually becoming cumbersome and quite laborious. I have a great 17" widescreen laptop that is sitting virtually unused because I cancelled my VZW air card to trim our budget. (Times are tough)

So here I sit, typing this out on my 9630 Tour from the cab of my Peterbilt semi truck, 2000 miles from home, having a great need to have internet on my laptop, and also having the ability, but not the funds, to tether. But now, because some holier than thou Verizon fanboy posts the contract, now that I've actually seen it, I am bound by my word to honor it. Yeah, I know, I should have been the only customer in history to pour over the fine print of the contract in a crowded Verizon store while there is a line of people impatiently waiting behind me. And yes, I know that I signed it and therefore I am responsible for it. Spare me the woulda/coulda/shoulda's. I also know, and agree, that the purpose of a company is to generate revenue. The whole tethering thing is just over the top IMO.

What a crappy development. I was just about to take advantage of Tether's special this week of 50% off too.

However, a man is only as good as his word.

Whatever.

/end rant

Here come the "what's the point if this thread" and "why even bother posting if you have already come to a conclusion" posts. I won't be acknowledging those. My point was to vent, primarily at VZW, and vent is what I did.

Posted from my CrapBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I, for one, will not post "what's the point of this thread" "why even bother posting." I, applaud your post. Despite some errors regarding 5gb (tethering on your handheld is unlimited, and the reasons for unlimited plans is based on pooled usage etc..)

I'm not going to criticize your post. Thanks for the enjoyment. Thanks for actually sticking to your word.
    01-09-10 02:07 AM
    ... "tow the line"
    "toe the line" not "tow the line"

I really liked the water barrel analogy, though. Nicely done. Well played.
    01-09-10 05:44 AM
    Gotta say I 100% agree with you that vzw policy is bullsh*t...I am paying for unlimited data on my storm, and to me that means UNLIMITED, not limited to my phone. My biggest issue is the number of non mobile friendly sites on the web, and I often wonder if there's a lawsuit in that in some way, since it is a sort of backhanded limitation on their part, given that you know that they knew about that, which is why they've designed it that way. The second problem I have is paying another $30 to use less data than on my phone...its a deliberate rip off as far as I'm concerned. That's why I took advantage. Of the free trial and then cut it off before they could charge me, just to kind of screw them back. Maybe if they charged an extra $5 a month to plug my laptop into the data plan I'm already paying for, I'd happily do it without complaint. But that's not what its about with vzw, its appearantly about making your customers feel used so that they move on to a competitor as soon as possible.
    I have 2 friends who have already moved on because they are as insulted by this as I am, and. I'm joining them as soon as my contract is up. I know, that only makes 4 I know of now that are unhappy with vzw's bs, which is hardly a significant portion of their customer base, but of there are 4, them there are probably more out there, and that's just among those who are aware of this. I doubt that this will change anything, but there's nothing like feeling like you're getting f*cked that'll make you move on quicker. Vote with your wallet.

Not quite. You can get a tethered laptop to use more bandwidth than a phone. On your phone you are paying for unlimited usage basically one application at a time. That is you are not downloading and browsing at the same time as can be done on an a real multicore Intel or AMD processor. Verizon is charging so their network does not become ATT. They are giving you the ability to max out your connection speed up to 5 gigabytes, however long that takes.

I see no difference with this stipulation, than your broadband ISP provider prohibiting you from reselling their services. Why not, it's your bandwidth to do with as you please.
    01-09-10 07:56 AM
    I agree with many points on here. The fact of the matter, it is what it is. With that being said I tried tether last night. Works great but then find out that VZW will kick ya to the curb if they found out was enough for me to stop using it. Here is the problem I have, I called VZW to find out if this is true and it took them over 6 mins to find an answer. Next I understand if I was to buy the tether app off of CB but can now be bought from BB App world. It is also listed right in the the top 25 paid apps. No where does it state vzw customers can not use. This was find and downloaded off of my vzw device. Next I thought I would use my desktop and go to BB app world. Aw there it was under supported carries. What a min. It states all carries supported EXCEPT some company I have never herd from. I would think VZW uses RIM phone and service and it states in their contract no 3rd party tethering that VZW would contact RIM and tell RIM to add VZW to the not supported list. Normal customers that download apps and do no searching would have no way of knowing untill their service is canceled. I would think VZW would have enough courtesy to their paying customers that this is not supported and to stop using immediately and they will cancel their service not just cancel with no warning. JUST PLAIN STUPID! It was well known its a no no than I would understand. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for letting me rant.
    01-09-10 10:49 AM
    Good rant man! I know you canx the aircard for budgetary purposes. You were paying $60 per month for that right? Adding VZW tethering to your BB is $30. Why not see if you can compromise your budget by $30/mo vs $60/mo? That, or can you not buy bandwidth a bit cheaper at some of the truck stops? I'm not a trucker so I won't pretend to know it all but I think you could trim expenses and still get what you're looking for. Drive safe.

01-09-10 12:48 PM
    Good rant man! I know you canx the aircard for budgetary purposes. You were paying $60 per month for that right? Adding VZW tethering to your BB is $30. Why not see if you can compromise your budget by $30/mo vs $60/mo? That, or can you not buy bandwidth a bit cheaper at some of the truck stops? I'm not a trucker so I won't pretend to know it all but I think you could trim expenses and still get what you're looking for. Drive safe.

Sorry, I'm driving, so I'll have to keep this short. Yes, the aircard was $60 and tethering is $30. It's just that we've tried very hard to cut out all of the piddly extraneous expenses that really start adding up when combined. A little here and a little there can become a lot in no time.

Over the holidays, my 8330 crapped out, and I used my upgrade that was coming to get a 9630. I used the buy one get one free deal to surprise my wife with a Tour as well. Part of my justification for the extra expense her data charges would incur was that, since I don't own my own big rig any more and I am now a company driver (as of 5 months ago), that I don't need internet for business any longer, and I would dump the air card.

Well, that lasted all of a month, lol. I have been doing everything on my BB, and I am longing for my laptop. I do a lot of research, writing, etc., and it's wearing out my thumbs.

Now that it's no longer used for business, internet access is no longer a need, but a want. I'll probably end up buckling and paying to tether, eventually, but it really torques my nut.

Regarding truck stop wifi, they all have it, but every chain has their own proprietary package, usually about $30/mo or $4.95/day, but it's impossible to sleep in the same truck stop chain every night.

Huh. So much for keeping it short. Man, can I be a long-winded gasbag or what?!

01-09-10 01:28 PM
    "toe the line" not "tow the line"

I really liked the water barrel analogy, though. Nicely done. Well played.
    Thank you. And thank you for letting me know about the saying, "toe the line." Interesting. It must have maritime origins, I'm guessing.

01-09-10 01:39 PM
    Not quite. You can get a tethered laptop to use more bandwidth than a phone. On your phone you are paying for unlimited usage basically one application at a time. That is you are not downloading and browsing at the same time as can be done on an a real multicore Intel or AMD processor. Verizon is charging so their network does not become ATT. They are giving you the ability to max out your connection speed up to 5 gigabytes, however long that takes.

I see no difference with this stipulation, than your broadband ISP provider prohibiting you from reselling their services. Why not, it's your bandwidth to do with as you please.
    Ummmm...ya, I already knew this, which is why I wouldn't be averse to a slight additional charge (why don't people read entire post before replying?) bottom line is their "service" is practically useless to me for anything other than crackberry and pandora, which is why I'm so angry, which is why I'll be moving on as soon as I can

01-09-10 01:57 PM
    You know, I paid the $30 per month for about 6 months before I got a brain. Sure, had I been using it a lot then it would have made sense, but the reality is that I only tether in the rare event that my cable goes out or if I'm out of town and need internet in a pinch. My total data usage per month, including tethering is usually less than 200 MB. I doubt VZW is being too hurt.

That said, I used to drive truck and I can honestly say that I used enough data then to make the $30 worth it. Maybe you don't use your computer as much, I don't know, but I was on the internet pretty much any time I was stopped...lol! At that time I had the air card instead though.

Anyway, I definitely don't feel bad about the very small amount of data I use while tethering. If VZW were to offer up different tethering plans with plans for casual users I might reconsider. Otherwise, they can eat the two hours or so of tethering I do every month.
    01-09-10 02:40 PM

Truck stop WiFi is a rip-off. It's expensive and it doesn't work half the time. I remember when I was driving there was a truck stop that I used quite a bit so I bought the $20/month thing. Well, their WiFi was down for about two months! Then they had this thing in some rest areas where you could buy WiFi. I did that too, but then it only worked sometimes also and then they took it away but kept charging for it. And it's not easy to cancel any of those deals! But the biggest problem was that most of the time I didn't even sleep in truck stops. It was a total waste having their WiFi services!

I agree with many points on here. The fact of the matter, it is what it is. With that being said I tried tether last night. Works great but then find out that VZW will kick ya to the curb if they found out was enough for me to stop using it. Here is the problem I have, I called VZW to find out if this is true and it took them over 6 mins to find an answer. Next I understand if I was to buy the tether app off of CB but can now be bought from BB App world. It is also listed right in the the top 25 paid apps. No where does it state vzw customers can not use. This was find and downloaded off of my vzw device. Next I thought I would use my desktop and go to BB app world. Aw there it was under supported carries. What a min. It states all carries supported EXCEPT some company I have never herd from. I would think VZW uses RIM phone and service and it states in their contract no 3rd party tethering that VZW would contact RIM and tell RIM to add VZW to the not supported list. Normal customers that download apps and do no searching would have no way of knowing untill their service is canceled. I would think VZW would have enough courtesy to their paying customers that this is not supported and to stop using immediately and they will cancel their service not just cancel with no warning. JUST PLAIN STUPID! It was well known its a no no than I would understand. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for letting me rant.
    I think the fact that it's available on AppWorld is a good excuse to play dumb and put the responsibility on RIM. Seriously, if you get caught just lead VZW to AppWorld. Honestly though, I really don't think VZW is going to care if you're a casual tetherer anyway unless you're downloading porn 24/7 or something.
    01-09-10 02:48 PM
    Thank you. And thank you for letting me know about the saying, "toe the line." Interesting. It must have maritime origins, I'm guessing.
    Indeed!

Bravo Zulu!
    01-09-10 02:49 PM
    You'd have to check but in another Tether thread, it was mentioned that Verizon's own "shop" sells Tether(berry). Now what is the purpose of that? Make money selling the software and then top it off by billing them for tethering overages??? Why sell it if it is not within the terms of service and you need to purchase tethering from them?

Yup, there it is: Under Best Sellers from the Verizon home page - get apps.

(irony: That page uses BING for search and I put "tether" in as search string hit the trackball (and the return) and it just did NOTHING. Did it 3 or 4 times - NOTHING))
    01-09-10 03:08 PM
    What's really going to get you then is that the Terms of Service also prohibits streaming - Pandora, Slacker and iHeartRadio are theoretically naughty apps. In fact, the TOS is so broad that virtually every service that Blackberry Internet Service provides is prohibited. May as well just turn the thing off.
    01-09-10 03:29 PM
    What's really going to get you then is that the Terms of Service also prohibits streaming - Pandora, Slacker and iHeartRadio are theoretically naughty apps. In fact, the TOS is so broad that virtually every service that Blackberry Internet Service provides is prohibited. May as well just turn the thing off.
    Really? Well, I'll have to read it I guess. If that is true, that really changes things up. If true, then all that stuff is just a broad sweep, nothing more than a CYA move. I would love to see what all the contract puritans who can't live without Slacker will do to justify that! Not to mention, if Verizon truly does promote Tether for sale on their website, then it seems that the rules of the game have changed from the letter of the law to the spirit of the law.

It seems I have some pondering to do. The sale ends tomorrow.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-09-10 at 03:47 PM.
    01-09-10 03:41 PM
    Funny that Verizon actually pushes Slacker...lol!
    01-09-10 03:45 PM
    Can anyone post the portion of the contract that prohibits streaming from apps like Slacker? If that is true, and if it is also true that VZW pushes Tether on their website, then I feel I would be justified in using it. My justification would be that they obviously haven't gotten around to revising their contract to reflect their current product offerings. They bundle Slacker on all of their Tours right out of the box, for crying out loud.

If they partner to sell apps that their contract forbids, and the contract predates their present actions, then they have spoken.

Now I'm vacillating. So much for moral fortitude.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-09-10 at 04:51 PM.
    01-09-10 03:49 PM
    Can anyone post the portion of the contract that prohibits streaming from apps like Slacker? If that is true, and if it is also true that VZW pushes Tether on their website, then I feel I would be justified in using it. My justification would be that they obviously haven't gotten around to revising their contract to reflect their current product offerings. They bundle Slacker on all of their Tours right out of the box, for crying out loud.

If they partner to sell apps that their contract forbids, and the contract predates their present actions, then they have spoken.

They actually push slacker onto my storm, so that's in direct conflict with a non streaming policy...this keeps getting more interesting as we go along, which is why I love crackberry so much...maybe Verizon has decided that they can attract a broader customer base by doing away with some of the more anal terms of service...

01-09-10 04:54 PM
168 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD