07-10-11 12:38 PM
42 12
tools
    I'm currently with Sprint...been with them for over a decade...I've been wanting to go over to VZ forever for their excellent cellular service, but I've been waiting for them to release a new Blackberry so I can take advantage of the contract price, AND I also want unlimited data....well, we all know I'm not going to be able to get that if I wait until they release a new BB....so this is my plan, tell me what ya think:

I'm looking to buy a either a used Blackberry Storm 2 or Bold from craigslist (~$100-150)...then on Sunday, I'm going to go over to VZ to sign up for a new account and port my number over from Sprint and get me an iPhone...I'm going to see if I can get them to activate the phone without taking it out of the box...once activated (so I can get it at a contract price), I will have them activate the Blackberry (from craigslist) for me, and I will sell the iPhone on ebay...then when a new Blackberry comes out, I will use the money I made on the iPhone and buy the BB at full price....

what do ya think? Or can anyone give me a better idea? I don't think they would let me get a plan and use the discount on the phone 2 months later, will they?

Also, between the Storm 2 vs the Bold, which would you recommend? I currently have a Bold with Sprint, but I don't know how the Storm 2 would compare to it....thanX
    07-02-11 01:33 AM
    Just use the Bold or Storm until you can upgrade....unless you want the iPhone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 05:02 AM
    I'm currently with Sprint...been with them for over a decade...I've been wanting to go over to VZ forever for their excellent cellular service, but I've been waiting for them to release a new Blackberry so I can take advantage of the contract price, AND I also want unlimited data....well, we all know I'm not going to be able to get that if I wait until they release a new BB....so this is my plan, tell me what ya think:

Sounds like an idea. I have the bold 9650 (for sale as well, pm me about it, asking 150). My husband had both storms. I personally pefer the bold. I just couldn't get used to that surepress.
    I'm looking to buy a either a used Blackberry Storm 2 or Bold from craigslist (~$100-150)...then on Sunday, I'm going to go over to VZ to sign up for a new account and port my number over from Sprint and get me an iPhone...I'm going to see if I can get them to activate the phone without taking it out of the box...once activated (so I can get it at a contract price), I will have them activate the Blackberry (from craigslist) for me, and I will sell the iPhone on ebay...then when a new Blackberry comes out, I will use the money I made on the iPhone and buy the BB at full price....

what do ya think? Or can anyone give me a better idea? I don't think they would let me get a plan and use the discount on the phone 2 months later, will they?

Also, between the Storm 2 vs the Bold, which would you recommend? I currently have a Bold with Sprint, but I don't know how the Storm 2 would compare to it....thanX

07-02-11 09:36 AM

Best response ever.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    07-02-11 02:20 PM
    they wont do that. You will have to have them complete activate the iphone there. Then you can switch to your other phone once home or whatever.

I would just get a brand new bold for $30 on contact and use it. Forget the iphone al together. Then you are set with the new contract and you can buy the 9900 off contract at full price when it comes out. Sell the bold then for a little $$ to help pay for the 9900
    07-02-11 02:48 PM
    Best response ever.
    Wow. That's odd. I def typed up something. Lol! Sorry about that. Anyhow. What I had said was I pefer the bold to the storm. I currently have a bold (up for sale, if interested pm me). My husband had the storm 1 and 2 and for the life of me I couldn't get used to the surepress.

07-02-11 03:31 PM
    why don't you just wait and stay with sprint until VZ gets the phone you want and change then.
    07-02-11 03:45 PM
    why don't you just wait and stay with sprint until VZ gets the phone you want and change then.
    He's trying to get locked into the unlimited plans. Didn't you read his post?

07-02-11 04:19 PM
    I would just get a brand new bold for $30 on contact and use it. Forget the iphone al together. Then you are set with the new contract and you can buy the 9900 off contract at full price when it comes out. Sell the bold then for a little $$ to help pay for the 9900
    Here's what I figured, if I buy the iphone now for $299, and sell it on ebay for $600-650, and when the new BB comes out, I'm sure full price will probably be $599, or $299 w/contract...so I'll end up getting the new BB at the original contract price....whereas, if I buy the Bold now for $30, and when the new BB comes out, I sell the Bold for say $150, I'll still need to pay over $450 more to get the new BB....and I've talked to a few reps, and I have friend at VZ who'll activate the BB with me after they active the Iphone for me...

the reason why I picked the iPhone was because of its high resell value...
    Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 07-02-11 at 10:54 PM.
    07-02-11 10:51 PM
    iphone should be 199 and so should the BT when it comes out. but yeah you should come out a little more ahead using the iphone as long as the Bold doesnt cost to much on ebay/cl
    07-02-11 11:22 PM

It's funny. I have been considering doing this for the past week as well. I have a used bold 9650 I would look to get hooked up though. I was considering using my discount to get the iphone 4 for close to $150, but had second thoughts, when I would likely only be able to get less than 200-250 new in box for it.

I even contacted a live chat service rep asking about signing a new 2 year contract now and them sending me a debit card or voucher for a new phone about 3 months from now, and she said they couldn't.

I work nights, and I'm hoping I can get up tomorrow am and make my way to the local VZ for more disappointment.

I don't want to be stuck with an old phone for another 2 years. Or buy an overpriced(non discount) bold touch that will most likely be defective. Like every other BB I have owned.

Oh, I was offered a trade in value of $8 for my storm.

I will wait till i have everything saved or backed up, and stomp the **** out of this piece of ****.
    07-04-11 11:23 PM
    8.00 you told them were to shove it didn't you.

07-04-11 11:38 PM
    OK...I pulled the trigger on Sunday...however, I didn't have to buy a phone from them....they ported my number over from Sprint and started my non-contract account because I brought my own VZ phone in...they said I will get my discount and will have to sign a 2-yr contract once I buy my phone, and as long as I sign up and get a data plan before July 7th, I will be grandfathered in....

In Texas and a few other southern states, VZ has a promo for Talk & Text with unlimited mobile to ANYmobile for $64, and it comes with 450 minutes for calls received from or made to land line (it was only $59 a few months ago, but I waited...hehehe)...and then + $29/month for unlimited data...usually with that plan, you'd have to sign a 2 year contract, but you don't have to (yeah, weird, don't ask me to explain)...and then I found out today that because I work for Toyota, I get 20% off my entire bill on top of everything, so I'm getting that done tomorrow too...

so yeah, bottom line is that when the next BB drops, I will sign a 2-yr contract then, and get my phone at the contract price and I will continue to have unlimited data....I'm a happy camper...
    07-05-11 12:12 AM
    so yeah, bottom line is that when the next BB drops, I will sign a 2-yr contract then, and get my phone at the contract price and I will continue to have unlimited data....I'm a happy camper...
    From everything I have read on this issue, this is incorrect.

The way I read it, as long as you don't upgrade your device or sign a new contract, you can keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan, but once you upgrade your phone and sign a new contract in the future, you will be switched to a tiered data plan.

If there is something concrete that says otherwise, I would like a link to the information.

I am planning to switch to Verizon when the Monaco comes to them, so I have really been watching this situation.
    07-05-11 10:58 AM
    From everything I have read on this issue, this is incorrect.

The way I read it, as long as you don't upgrade your device or sign a new contract, you can keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan, but once you upgrade your phone and sign a new contract in the future, you will be switched to a tiered data plan.

If there is something concrete that says otherwise, I would like a link to the information.

I am planning to switch to Verizon when the Monaco comes to them, so I have really been watching this situation.
    If you her unlimited data before 07/07 then you would be grandfathered in. Getting a new phone after that means you would keep unlimited. So what ever info you got was wrong.

07-05-11 11:13 AM
    If you her unlimited data before 07/07 then you would be grandfathered in. Getting a new phone after that means you would keep unlimited. So what ever info you got was wrong.
    Do you have anything concrete to back up that I got the wrong info?
    07-05-11 11:18 AM
    Do you have anything concrete to back up that I got the wrong info?
    It will be released on the 7th but I am just telling you based on what we got trained on.
    07-05-11 01:58 PM
    the thing is they ARE signing a new contract. They wouldnt have a contact for the month to month service right?
    07-05-11 02:01 PM
    Plus there's plenty of leaked articles regarding this, none of them saying what you were told.

Verizon Support: 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited Data - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...omplete-detail

So either the information you got was bad or your reading comprehension is.
    07-05-11 02:05 PM
    Plus there's plenty of leaked articles regarding this, none of them saying what you were told.

Verizon Support: 3G Customers Upgrading to 4G After July 7 Can Keep Unlimited Data - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...omplete-detail

So either the information you got was bad or your reading comprehension is.
    You could have simply provided these links to my first post when I asked for them.

Originally Posted by BlackBerry Brian

My reading comprehension is just fine, just like how I comprehend this...

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature
    (No known end date on this as of this moment)
    Verizon can say what they want NOW to get people to hurry and sign, but you watch and see when everyone goes to upgrade later and come running back to the forums complaining because the policy has changed and they CAN'T actually keep their grandfathered unlimited data plan as "promised".

But thanks for being a **** about it...
    07-05-11 02:19 PM
    EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature
    (No known end date on this as of this moment)
    This is exactly what I don't like, I'm glad you saw it too. I hate that they leave that lingering fear that they can take it away. Now they can't take it away if you still have it....but they may make you get rid of it if you get a new phone under contract...sneaky sneaky sneaky.

But thanks for being a **** about it...
    Like I said, the info you got was wrong or your reading comprehension is, if you understood fine, then the info you got was wrong. Don't be so sensitive.
    07-05-11 02:46 PM
    Folks, I trust Mario! (I know who he works for trust me he knows he you know WHAT! at least as far as Verizon is concerned)
    07-05-11 03:36 PM
    This is because of the jobsphone users hogging up data,sprint(my provider)will not be far behind with tiered data plans.

07-05-11 04:31 PM

He is correct.
    07-05-11 06:52 PM
    Here's my situation. Both my lines aren't upgradable until 7/20. My line i don't care about because i have a BB storm2 with the unlimited data plan. My Gf's line is an LG Env3 without a data package. She wants the iPhone (i know i know) but obviously with the upgrade after the 7th she'll get stuck with the tiered data plan. Here is my question. Can i add a new line get the iPhone with the unlimited data package and then switch the phone numbers? i know i would be stuck with the other line for 2 years but i don't know another way to get this done before the 7th. any input would be appriciated.
    07-05-11 07:03 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD