From the engadget liveblog:

11:33AM "At some point in the future" Verizon might integrate LTE and 3G plans into one -- around the time that they start transmitting voice over LTE -- but Melone's generally dodging the question of plan unification pretty artfully. It's certainly not integrated to start, you'll be paying separately for LTE. He's thinking late 2012, early 2013 for the integration.
    12-01-10 11:39 AM
    Doesn't that mean an extra $10 for 4G, much like Sprint, for data and web services??
    12-01-10 11:55 AM
    not as far as I can tell. if you have a 4G bb in the future, I take it to mean you need either a $15 or $30 plan for 3g data, PLUS another $50/5 or $80/10 plan!

I just got off the phone with Verizon but they didn't have the official info yet. It should be up by the 5th.
    12-01-10 11:58 AM
    Who is to say that those plans will apply to smart phones? Those are just the initial plans for the USB modems.
    12-01-10 12:05 PM
    not as far as I can tell. if you have a 4G bb in the future, I take it to mean you need either a $15 or $30 plan for 3g data, PLUS another $50/5 or $80/10 plan!

I just got off the phone with Verizon but they didn't have the official info yet. It should be up by the 5th.
    PLEASE give us an update if you find out! I know Verizon currently has similar plans now for modems, $60 for 5 and ??? for unlimited. I can't imagine them thinking ANYBODY would pay an additional $50/month for a smartphone plan; at least I hope not!
    12-01-10 12:09 PM
    Who is to say that those plans will apply to smart phones? Those are just the initial plans for the USB modems.
    I was just going to post this same comment. Since LTE for Smartphones will not be till late next year we still do not know how VZW will setup their price plans.
    12-01-10 12:14 PM
    In one of the VZW press releases today for the 2 LTE modems, it said the modems would automatically fall back to 3G when 4G isn't available. They didn't say that it would cost extra to do so.
    12-01-10 12:15 PM
    What bites is that we will not be able to have a new phone without it. I'd like a new phone but not if I have to pay more for the same crap I get now.
    12-01-10 12:16 PM
    Plus it is $50 for 5 GB, which is $10 cheaper than the current price for a 5 GB 3G plan. Sweet deal if you ask me.
    12-01-10 12:18 PM
    What bites is that we will not be able to have a new phone without it. I'd like a new phone but not if I have to pay more for the same crap I get now.
    They didn't announce anything in regards to LTE cell plans. Who is to say they will charge you an extra $10 a month to have a 4G device even if you aren't in a 4G area? Sprint practices this, which I think is BS.
    12-01-10 12:22 PM
    Well I don't have vzw but you can bet your sweet a__ that they and all carriers are going to charge extra for the new faster speed just because they can.
    12-01-10 12:35 PM
    In one of the VZW press releases today for the 2 LTE modems, it said the modems would automatically fall back to 3G when 4G isn't available. They didn't say that it would cost extra to do so.
    did you read what I copied from the Q&A of the verizon announcement?
    12-01-10 12:36 PM
    Plus it is $50 for 5 GB, which is $10 cheaper than the current price for a 5 GB 3G plan. Sweet deal if you ask me.
    Wow you pay $50 for a 5gb plan................. just WOW. I pay $25 for the supposedly unlimited that isn't unlimited.
    12-01-10 12:36 PM
    Wow you pay $50 for a 5gb plan................. just WOW. I pay $25 for the supposedly unlimited that isn't unlimited.
    No, it's $50 for a LTE 5 GB air card plan. These plans are unrelated to the "unlimited" smartphone data plan. I pay $10 for my "unlimited" BB data plan.
    12-01-10 12:42 PM
    I expect that the new phones with 4G will be available with just the 3G plan, as they will be backwards-compatible. Just like when you own hardware that can do tethering, you don't have to pay for tethering if you don't want to.
    12-01-10 12:44 PM
    No, it's $50 for a LTE 5 GB air card plan. These plans are unrelated to the "unlimited" smartphone data plan. I pay $10 for my "unlimited" BB data plan.
    You must work there cause there ain't no unlimited data plan at vzw for $10.
    12-01-10 12:50 PM
    You must work there cause there ain't no unlimited data plan at vzw for $10.
    No. Got in on this promo.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/new...-plans-547729/
    12-01-10 12:57 PM
    I hope when all this comes together that phone customers will have a choice of 3 or 4G because it sure looks like 4G is gonna be freaking expensive.
    12-02-10 01:40 AM
    Is it possible that with LTE the 160-character cap for text messages disappear?
    12-02-10 03:44 AM
    I hope when all this comes together that phone customers will have a choice of 3 or 4G because it sure looks like 4G is gonna be freaking expensive.
    Probably not going to happen. If you want a 4g capable device, you will probably automatically be charged for 4g even if you can't possibly utilize 4g where you're at.

Makes sense, the devices will be more expensive and they will probably charge the same amount for them as they do with current 3g devices, so they need the extra premium to help subsidize the price.
    12-02-10 04:10 AM
    If you take a look at what they are charging for the air cards, you'd have to think the phone will have a cost premium also!
    12-02-10 02:24 PM
    Sprint charges their subscribers an additional $10 a month for "advanced devices" capable of connecting to their 4g network, even if you are not in an area that supports wimax because Sprint pays Clearwire about $8 in change for every wimax capable phone it sells per month. Sprint doesn't own their own wimax network, they are in partnership with Clear. Verizon, on the other hand, has built it's own LTE 4g network so there should be no reason that they would charge an extra fee per month just for using their 4g network.

Probably not going to happen. If you want a 4g capable device, you will probably automatically be charged for 4g even if you can't possibly utilize 4g where you're at.

Makes sense, the devices will be more expensive and they will probably charge the same amount for them as they do with current 3g devices, so they need the extra premium to help subsidize the price.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-10 08:17 AM
    If you take a look at what they are charging for the air cards, you'd have to think the phone will have a cost premium also!
    What price are you looking at? I didn't see any additional charges for 4G?...
    12-03-10 10:51 AM
    Is it possible that with LTE the 160-character cap for text messages disappear?
    No.
    You can always just use MMS.
    SMS is data stuffed in a channel that has to be on to locate a phone on the network. (Simplistic) For all carriers text messaging is pure profit. It costs them nothing.
    12-03-10 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD