Hi everyone....I just purchased the VZW Curve(upgrading from 8830, or should I say downgrade), what a mistake! After one day, I am returning the curve. I mean they took a step forward by adding the camera but then they took 3 steps back with everything else.

The LCD screen did not look crisp like the 8830. I put the phones side by side and there is a difference.

Also, the phone has "ZERO" style points and sleekness. Basically the only thing I noticed is it has camera on a very 1997 looking cell phone. So needless to say I am returning the Curve and will await til the next blackberry comes out.

Can someone please tell me when and what new blackberry releases I can look forward to in the near future on VZW network please?(I am looking for Bold or Thunder but not a huge fan of touchscreen...) Thank you.
    Last edited by dc1225; 05-22-08 at 11:37 AM.
    05-22-08 11:34 AM
    Pretty sure you're in the minority, dc!

Objectively, the 8330 is smaller, lighter, has better battery life and more memory. Subjectively, most people like the keyboard better.

Objectively, the 8830 works in Europe and has longer battery life on GSM than it does on CDMA but it lacks a camera, as you point out. Subjectively, you can get a red one which I like and wish my Curve was.

But I'll take smaller, lighter, and cheaper since I rarely go to Europe, and when I do I just rent a phone because it's cheaper than roaming, last time I checked.

At this time we can only speculate if there will ever be a CDMA Bold (my guess is no) but we already know about the touchscreen Thunder, which might be LTE since Verizon is rapidly deploying it, and expects it to be up and running by the end of the year.
    05-22-08 12:43 PM
    KW, yeah I can understand your points. 8330 is smaller, lighter, and better battery life but it is uglier, flimsier and I've read many posts where people say battery life is not better than 8830 due to the camera use, etc...I rarely go to europe either and the reason why i bought bb8830 was because it was cool, stylish neat keyboard and trackball function(I really reall really wanted a camera on it) but the 8330 is alot like nothing like the 8830 to me....if you know what i am saying...
    05-22-08 01:06 PM
    Just a few things that made me wait for the 8330 instead of buying the 8830.

More space between the keys on the 8330, not all smashed together like the 8830.

More all around Curve appeal. The 8830 looks like a box to me. More memory, added camera, lighter weight, the 8830 is missing all that.

Guess its a matter of personal taste!
    05-22-08 01:25 PM
    I'm going to agree with dc on this one. The only thing the 8330 has going for it is slightly more memory 96MB instead of 64MB Flash. Other then that... it's cheaply constructed. They keyboard squeaks and the faceplace flexes around the top of the keyboard where the trackball assembly is. Weak... weak.
    05-22-08 01:31 PM
    Prefer the look and the feel of the 8830, so much so that I'll wait till the Bold is available at Verizon.
    Gotta agree with JRSCCivic98
    05-22-08 01:46 PM
    I disagree. The 8830 is also cheaply constructed. I had it for a week and the side rails started to creak and make all kinds of noise, the bottom portion did the same. The back cover sucked too, take it off too many times and it would be loose. Bottom line, ever since the 8700 series, RIM devices have gone down in construction quality. I def can say thought that the curve has also a much louder speaker than the 8830 and it vibrates a **** of a lot harder too. You guys also are forgetting the large headphone jack which let's you use ipod headphones etc. The rubber gribs on the edges is better than that slippery chrome stuff on the 8830 as well. IMO The curve is way better than than the 8830. I'd say for a device that has more features and better functionality, that beats shiney looks in my book. If you're all about looks, why don't you just get and iphone like everyone else?...lol. J/k

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 04:03 PM
    Guess what I have both and love them both but use the 8330 more and can't wait for the next VZ BB.
    05-22-08 04:13 PM
    Sounds like RIM has a QC problem then. I've only had my 8330 for a couple weeks but nothing's come loose on it yet and I sit on the thing all day (no holster, it goes in the back pocket). Seems very well made, though the keyboard wobbles around just a bit. So did the demo unit at the retail store and so does my friend's ATT Curve so I think it's endemic to the line and not a real problem.

FWIW, I decided to go Blackberry before the Curve came out. Contract was up and I went to look at the 8830...and other than the red color it just didn't feel right, and it seemed rather large.

Went to the ATT store and tried out the Curve which I instantly liked better. Fortunately I didn't buy it, because when I got home and did some research I found out the Curve was coming to Verizon in a matter of weeks. Needless to say, I waited a bit and here I am!
    05-22-08 04:20 PM
    The keyboard does wobble around a bit. Very annoying sometimes when you are trying to be quiet because it tends to squeek and the keys click rather loud.

05-22-08 04:40 PM
    I 2nd and 3rd Crackblack and JRS Civic. I totally forgot about the cheaply made Battery cover! Good Call.

I got caught up in the whole "hey new BB I must have it now" moment but once I got the phone, surprisingly, it didn't excite me at all!!!

Not saying that its not a good phone or nothing like that but in my opinion, doesn't come close to 8830. There is substance, but zero style and I try to base my decisions on both substance and style....After all, we're all locked in 2 year contracts, right?
    05-22-08 07:10 PM
    WHAT are you people talking about? I just got my Curve and it's the best PDA device I've ever had -- I like it better than the iPhone I briefly tried out for a few days.

Cheaply constructed? If you want to see cheaply constructed, check out a Treo one of these days. Or better yet, try burning through 8 of those things in a year for failing for one reason or another.

I love this Curve, it's a godsend!
    05-23-08 05:24 PM
    Not sure about your post, you stated you got the 8830 cause it was cool, you and me think differently. I got the 8330 and use this phone because it works.... bottom line, no problems... not cause it's "cool".... but I guess that is society, who knows........

1. I have had the 8830 before, and it was just plain bad. It had software issues. or maybe the device it self who knows...

2. Side loose.

3. Screen on 8830 was the same as it is on my 8330.

4. Ringer problems... Design flaw....

5. Keyboard problems, couldn't see keys, and also buttons to close together.

Now the Curve...

1. Screen is the same IMO as I mentioned before.

2. Lighter, yes.

3. My 8330 is built solid, no squeeks, or creeks any where. Maybe I got lucky.. who knows...

4. Battery Life is awesome. I get 2-3 days as for the 8330 i was only getting about 1 day on the 8830.

5. Regular CDMA is fine for me, world phone is nothing special in my mind....

6. The 8330 keyboard is very responsive, and lights up well....

I am very satisfied with the 8330 over the 8830. Sorry you were or are not happy. But you are the one who will use your phone, I hope you can find something that works well for you... Good Luck.
    Last edited by yester18; 05-23-08 at 09:56 PM.
    05-23-08 09:52 PM
    LMAO! It never ceases to amaze me how many people who have the same cellphone I have seem to have problems with it that I NEVER have (ie. the keyboard, screen, etc.) I never received a faulty phone ever and I've known people who get the same phone I have AFTER I get mine and in two weeks their phone is all jacked up! lol That being said, the 8830 looks like something you build a house with! And the keyboard is totally LAME! No camera....eh...I pass. I think a lot of people who thought it would take longer for VZW to get the Curve and decided to get the 8830 are just hating on the people who were fortunate enough to get the Curve. It's okay....we understand.....I would be mad too! LOL
    05-23-08 11:16 PM
    If any problem or bug that only affects a small percentage of users, I am almost always in that percentile. I'm an excellent beta tester and find things nobody else does.

It's not a blessing, it's a curse. FWIW I had my first computer, online account, and email address in 1988. It took me 20 years to learn that if it works, don't break it by installing every update that comes around!
    05-24-08 02:48 AM
    yeah mr. moe, you got us...Oh well jeez, cuz I am all about hatin...my life is all about hatin a bb curve broski!

Hey everybody, I love hatin on blackberry curve. This is what I am all about hatin blackberry....We are just comparing notes. If you'd graduated highschool, maybe you'd know what that is called? Who let you pass the GED test?

P.S. That is the most uglytar I've ever seen in my life!
    05-24-08 05:02 PM
    I am amazed at the Curve hatred goin in this thread. I love my 8310! This phone is flawless in my opinion. I will admit though, I just read (and watched) Kevin's 4 part review on the bold and I think I will have to pick it up the day it comes out. That hi res screen makes me real jealous.

All in all...the Curve is the best phone I've ever had. I had the IPhone for 3 months and it doesn't compare. Neither does the 8830.

05-24-08 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD