Hey. I'm about to get my first, however i'm not sure if i should get now, or wait. I preferably would like world capabilities and a camera phone in one. I know the storm has that but i have heard mixed reviews. I hear the Niagara will have both of these. Camera is more important to me than world capabilities.

Should I get the current curve since its cheap now, or storm, or just wait for the jupiter or niagara?

Thanks for your input
    01-22-09 09:14 AM
    I say curve!! Mine has never let me down and you would be happy with the camera and everything else it can do!
    01-22-09 09:18 AM
    thanks. i'm leaning towards that as well since i can get it for 80 bucks right now...but ill be out of the country a few times this year and would like a way to keep in touch with the family! decisions decisions...thanks again!
    01-22-09 09:21 AM
    I have an LG Venus and am Blackberry shopping now..... I can get the Curve 8330 at a very tempting price however the "Niagara" or "Jupiter" are intriguing enough to consider waiting. I understand they run on a faster network, camera is a bit better, etc. I'm very torn between getting the Curve now and getting started on the Blackberry experience <G> or waiting until the predicted May release date.
    01-22-09 09:43 AM
    That's a tough call. i have a Curve and i love it, works great. i want a global phone as well but i'm not willing to get a storm due to all the issues.

i'm also waiting for the vzw bold, niagara or what have you.

Perhaps you can pick up an 8830 from vzw OR ebay. That is a global phone and should be pretty cheap right now.

Then at least you'll have a global phone for right now and can grab the newest global bb when vzw releases it.

If the camera really is more important than go for the curve and maybe get a prepaid in the country you're visiting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 09:47 AM
    i had the same issue before i got my curve in july. i had planned to wait until vzw got the "bold". That lasted a month...then i got the curve.

i'm glad i did. i can wait a little to get the new global bb and i'm glad i started my bb experience asap!

01-22-09 09:49 AM
    I agree with Chrisy- I would buy a berry off of the marketplace or ebay and save your upgrade for the new blackberry out later this year.
    01-22-09 01:00 PM
    I have both the Storm and the Curve I love both of them but still more partial to my Storm.
    01-22-09 01:02 PM
    There's currently a huge sale on the Verizon website. You can get an 8830 for $100 with a 2 year contract- for only $20 more than the Curve it's probably worth it if you want "world" capabilities... I don't think that one has a camera though, does it?

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for the Niagara and trying to decide when to upgrade and to what.
    01-22-09 01:09 PM
    i would prefer the camera over the world capabilities..would like both but the world isnt a huge deal for me after this year...if i get the curve for 80 bucks, it would be nice, but then i cant upgrade again for a while....even used phones are too expensive...200 bucks for a used curve seems ridiculous
    01-22-09 01:47 PM
    Honestly i say go for the curve. I have the 8330 on sprint and i absolutely love it an am addicted to it!! Granted the storm and niagara run the new OS's but i think ull be fine with the curve. If you look on Ebay you can find brand new curves for like 250, if you take the time and look. Im not sure if you already have verizon or not but if you have an upgrade and dont mind spending the extra money on Ebay you can save your upgrade for a diff phone. For out of the country you can just buy a pre paid phone when you get over there if its necessary.
    01-22-09 02:07 PM
    thanks...i already have verizon, just making the switch from phone to berry..
    01-22-09 02:15 PM
    Just wait it out for the Niagara. It will blow the Curve out of the water and offer stellar specs (mostly identical to the Bold). Just be patient, you will have to wait until May the latest. I am in the same situation as you, but don't jump the gun and regret it later when you are forced to pay full retail for the Niagara.
    01-22-09 02:31 PM
    damn confusion!!!! ok so i shouldnt get the storm since it has both world and pic capabilities? wait for the niagara if i want both?
    01-22-09 02:36 PM
    damn confusion!!!! ok so i shouldnt get the storm since it has both world and pic capabilities? wait for the niagara if i want both?
    Okay first of all, it is either the Storm or the Niagara/Curve. The storm is in a separate category, so you first have to decide whether or not you want a touch screen or full keyboard. I would personally leave the Storm behind and go for the keyboard devices. Honestly, if you can wait a few months, there is no reason not to get the Niagara. It beats out the Curve it every possible way, and it wouldn't make much sense to rush your purchase and regret it later.
    01-22-09 06:28 PM
    I wuld say go w/the curve 8330! I got mine in dec 2008 - my 1st also comin from lg venus- and I love it-no world cap's but has camera and all perks any othr berry wuld have! Bought online for $135 then got $70 rebate back-so for $65 smackers-how culd u not! Also I heard not to many peeps happy w/Storm-dont no-never lookd at it-have no interest in all touch screen. Good Luck w/ur choice-the 8330 curve has proven to b very good-im happy w/my berry!

01-22-09 10:56 PM
    i recently purchased the storm and was torn between the curve and switching over to sprint. Currently with verizon, and it was time to upgrade, after reading reviews and all it was mix opinions on the storm,
    Went with the storm as my first BB, and first touch screen. I do like it, but Im not a fan of the touch screen that much, so I may be returning the storm and holding off for a different bb.
    Im also considering switching to sprint, i can get 450min plus unlimited data for $55 with employee discount, as for vw its around 70 or so
    01-23-09 12:45 AM
    thanks for all ur replys. Looks like ( as much as i hate waiting) i will wait for the niagara. People in my office have both the storm and the curve and i like both for different reasons. I feel like i like the screen and the interface better on the storm, however i like the functionality of the curve. Im hoping the niagara will be a nice combination of both simpler functionality and a nicer looking screen/interface. plus it will have a camera and i believe world capabilities. The only thing that would kill me is if this thing comes out and it 300 bucks w/ a 2 year contract. Then i'll be annoyed that i didnt get the curve for 80 bucks...its a vicious cycle!!!!!!!
    01-23-09 08:40 AM
    thanks for all ur replys. Looks like ( as much as i hate waiting) i will wait for the niagara. People in my office have both the storm and the curve and i like both for different reasons. I feel like i like the screen and the interface better on the storm, however i like the functionality of the curve. Im hoping the niagara will be a nice combination of both simpler functionality and a nicer looking screen/interface. plus it will have a camera and i believe world capabilities. The only thing that would kill me is if this thing comes out and it 300 bucks w/ a 2 year contract. Then i'll be annoyed that i didnt get the curve for 80 bucks...its a vicious cycle!!!!!!!
    Hey if they dont get your money someone else will...so go for it if that's what ya want! And welcome to crackberry!
    01-23-09 08:51 AM
    thanks...i figure w/ the amt of money ive lost due to the recession, whats an extra couple hundred!!!!!!!!
    01-23-09 09:05 AM
    The Storm was $200 on a 2-year agreement, so I wouldn't expect the 9030 to be that much during release.
    01-23-09 09:54 AM
    There's currently a huge sale on the Verizon website. You can get an 8830 for $100 with a 2 year contract- for only $20 more than the Curve it's probably worth it if you want "world" capabilities... I don't think that one has a camera though, does it?

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for the Niagara and trying to decide when to upgrade and to what.

Yup... I had a Curve, now an 8830. I found that I really didn't use the phone camera for much of anything anyway, and you can still load in digital pics, so for me, the world capability was a good trade off. Especially since I travel overseas a couple times a year on various missions projects.
    01-23-09 12:22 PM
    about having it work worldwide on the world edition (8830?), verizon has it locked so that you can't stick any old sim card in there, even if its a company in another country. my sister was just in the philippines and her world edition didn't work there.

from what i understand, verizon has to "unlock" the phone or something then you have to use their simcard and get charged roaming or whatever... either way, you're going to be charged a bundle to take it overseas so i say just get a prepaid cellphone wherever you end up going...
    01-25-09 06:45 PM
    Sorry. I say pick up a Curve now. Its a great phone at a great price. Storm users are comin back to the Curve in droves.

01-25-09 10:36 PM
    i went against the grain and ordered the storm....thanks for all ur input...will let u know how it goes when i get it
    01-27-09 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD