I posted this under a more general category, but I figured being among other VZ users could be helpful.

So I know the ultimate sin among bb users is multitap, but I just don't like suretype, and I don't particularly feel ready to convert. That being said, I've had a constant and irritating issue with mine in which when I select multitap english under language in the setup menu it'll randomly decide to switch back to suretype without asking me, it's almost as though it takes on a life of its own. This is driving me crazy and led me to return to verizon twice only to be told a patch needs to be created to fix the problem and that they don't know when that will happen.

Problem number two is that when I message my other bb friends and they repond, I actually have to "end conversation" before I can view the new message. Please all of you bb veterans help a newbie out, am I doing something wrong? Is verizon lying to me? or sadly, have I got a ~gasp~ defective 8130?

I also read about the call log vanishing issue and have experienced that as well, luckily my brickbreaker high score is still saved.

Any help is SO appreciated, I'm not ready to give up the addiction yet.
    01-15-08 02:03 AM
    The BB Pearl wasn't made to use Multitap all the time. SureType is FAR better and faster than multitap. That being said, there have been issues with multi-tap since 4.2.1 OS came out last year (6 months after the Pearl was first released.) I'm not surprised that it switches back on it's own as many people complained that it switched from suretype to multitap without them knowing it.

Anyway, I agree that it's likely something that would have to be fixed with an updated OS. You can try some of the other carrier's OS's and see if that helps. Alltel has the most current OS for the 8130. You can download it here:

BlackBerry Operating System Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ.com

After installing to your PC locate and delete the file called "vendor.xml" and then do the update using Desktop Manager/Application Loader.

Call logs vanishing is a memory issue:

Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com
    01-15-08 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD