In July I am moving to Canada for a 2-3 year job assignment and I was hoping to get some advice here. I'm currently a vzw customer with a bb tour and my contract expires in August. I would really like to keep my phone number so that my friends and family can continue to call and txt me but I realize that I cannot transfer my US number to Canada. My plan is to cancel my VZW service and buy my 201 number with google voice. I would get a local number in CA and have all calls an txts made to my 201 forwarded to the canadian number. Will this work? Will my US friends be charged for long distance?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 02:28 PM
    You'll need to check with Google, I did a search and from what I could find, Google Voice is not supported in Canada.

A possible solution to look into is use the IM functions, if they're on BB, then BBM is the surefire way. For calling, look into Skype or outside LD provider options.

If Google voice is supported in Canada, then you would want to port your 201 (New Jersey) number to Google Voice, and link that to a local Canadian number.

That's the only thing I can think of, assuming that it's even possible...anyone else?
    05-12-11 08:59 PM
    Can you port your phone number to a Canadian carrier? Also you may be able to sell your Tour and use that to offset the cost of the ETF.

05-13-11 04:38 AM
    Have you asked Verizon if there was a package available for Canada?

05-13-11 11:15 AM
    We offer Canada + Nationwide plans but not for residents of canada. 50% of your calls need to be in the U.S. It's not meant for someone who is moving to Canada.
    05-15-11 03:03 AM
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i'm going to school in Montreal for 4 months and am not sure what plan would be best for my Blackberry 9650 that I've had for a year +. I frequently text, bbm, browse the internet, facebook/twitter, etc...
    05-22-11 11:19 PM
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i'm going to school in Montreal for 4 months and am not sure what plan would be best for my Blackberry 9650 that I've had for a year +. I frequently text, bbm, browse the internet, facebook/twitter, etc...
    See if Verizon will release the PIN, get a SIM card from a Canadian prepaid carrier, and just take the phone with you. Or you could just offer on like CL or something to change ownership of an account and give them the phone free, especially if you can't afford a Verizon bill while in Cnanada.
    05-23-11 02:57 AM
    See if Verizon will release the PIN, get a SIM card from a Canadian prepaid carrier, and just take the phone with you. Or you could just offer on like CL or something to change ownership of an account and give them the phone free, especially if you can't afford a Verizon bill while in Cnanada.
    Umm...VZW phones don't have sim card slots do they? So he'd also need to buy a phone that supports sim card slots correct?
    05-23-11 03:24 PM
    Umm...VZW phones don't have sim card slots do they? So he'd also need to buy a phone that supports sim card slots correct?
    My S2 is a world phone, so it has one for GSM, but as far as being in America with a CDMA carrier, no. I took my SIM out and the phone works fine.
    05-23-11 04:19 PM
    My S2 is a world phone, so it has one for GSM, but as far as being in America with a CDMA carrier, no. I took my SIM out and the phone works fine.
    Oh, way cool. I didn't realize that VZW had more than one "World Phone." Thanks for the info!
    05-23-11 05:12 PM
    Tour, Storm 2, and Bold are world phones. That's why I suggested what I did.
    05-24-11 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD