I have been a loyal Verizon customer for 10 years now and am one of their most vocal supporters with people that I meet. I have always had tremendous luck with coverage, speed and call quality...until now. I just moved to Chicago and wanted to get some input from other people that may live in this area or in other large cities.

Is it normal to lose 3g/EV-DO coverage in tall buildings/skyscrapers, even when next to a window and on high floors? Inside I never have 3g coverage, and at best have one or two bars of 1x which is constantly bouncing around. When I send bbm's they often wait for up to 5 minutes with a red square before finally sending.

Outside is fine, I can generally make and receive calls, but data is still spotty until I get outside of the downtown area.

My main question is...should this be a new way of life, is another carrier better...is there something I should do? I have updated roaming with *228...any other suggestions?

I previously lived in San Diego, Oklahoma City, Fort Myers, FL, and Rochester, NY with NO problems...ever...and no tall buildings. Let me know your thoughts...thanks everyone!

PS: Using Blackberry Tour
    01-18-10 07:29 PM
    I'm not sure if its any different but I never held a 3G signal with T-Mobile in Chicago. I haven't tried Verizon yet as I'm rarely in the city but id assume all the buildings are interfering with our signal and would be consistant on most networks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 07:33 PM
    Buildings will impede signal. Also the higher you are the worse the signal will be. You also comment (The OP) that it fine outside, this should tell tell you that building an height is the cause.
    01-18-10 07:58 PM
    I'm in NYC and it's not uncommon for us to lose signal on high floors or in elevators. However, most of the of the high profile office buildings installed a Distributed Antenna System (DAS) that connects to all the carriers which eliminates the signal issues.
    01-18-10 09:09 PM
    as lastraid said, it depends on your building. I have pretty good signal on the 15th floor in my building in downtown, as long as I'm not close to the center of the building. I switched from sprint where I had an 8330 and my signal is much better with vzw and the tour when I am indoors. I'm not sure why you're having trouble outside of buildings in downtown chicago, as I have perfect signal when I am outside.
    01-19-10 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD