hey I was just at my local best buy and they had this device in stock for sale but it isnt even on the vzw website yet...any details on this android device? why would best buy release it before vzw? just seemed strange to me.

thanks a bunch
    03-09-10 08:38 PM
    Its going to be on sale for one month from Best Buy first, they must have got some exclusive dealio going on. Expect it on VZW in 3 more weeks. Check PhoneScoop for a review...
    03-09-10 08:50 PM
    The Devour, and I believe the Brigade as well, were released in certain select indirect channels before being available in all channels.

I almost feel sorry for Best Buy (no love for Best Buy here), as I really don't think much of the Devour. Motorola, in my opinion, keeps dropping the ball when it comes to design.
    03-09-10 11:30 PM
    The Devour is on sale here at Costco. The kiosk attendant had one and she said that she loved it. I thought she was crazy.

I asked her if I could play with it for a few minutes and she let me. It has Android 1.6 and had terrible lag. I don't recommend it, especially with the Nexus One and the HTC Passion soon to grace Verizon's network.

Android 1.6, SERIOUSLY???
    03-10-10 01:25 AM
    Its currently only available at indirect locations, and won't be available direct from Verizon Wireless until March 25 (pretty sure thats the date).

I have no idea why they chose to release it like this...
    03-10-10 06:29 AM
    It os true that Best Buy jaw an exclusive deal with Motorola. But it will soon be in you Verizon stores. I didn't like it too much because I thought thee wasted so much space with the screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 07:53 AM
    ^^^^Is that a joke? Are you drunk? Or just struggling on the Pre Plus keyboard^^^^

I don't believe the Devour's availability at indirect locations only has anything to do with Best Buy or Motorola specifically...

To my understanding its currently available at all indirect locations, and will become available at direct locations at the end of the month...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 03-10-10 at 08:09 AM.
    03-10-10 08:06 AM
    As far as the phone goes...

I think its actually a pretty slick phone, and it combines all your social network junk quite nicely...

If I had accounts with all those sites, as many people do, I can see how it could be a very easy way to stay in touch, and know the status of all of your friends who also are on these sites...

Now... It does only have 1.6, which is, by phone standards, an ancient version of Android.
    In the limited time I've used the phone, I haven't noticed too much in the way of lag...
    03-10-10 08:14 AM
    I never noticed any lag, but again, as you stated, the Android 1.6 is a tad outdated. Maybe it will get upgraded to 2.0 or 2.1. I was refering to the huge black bezel around the screen. I think Motorola could have expanded the screen to make it a much larger screen. The device is built like a rock. It's a solid device, but too big for me.
    03-10-10 11:51 AM
    thanks for all your info, i was just curious as to how this worked. I dont remember seeing too many phones released at indirect before direct. I do have a few questions for any android users out there. I am interested in the email options compared to my bb. I am thinking of trying one out but i am not sure as to how it works compared to my needs.

Feel free to email/pin me.

Thanks in advance
    03-10-10 05:00 PM
    The Devour is on sale here at Costco. The kiosk attendant had one and she said that she loved it. I thought she was crazy.

I asked her if I could play with it for a few minutes and she let me. It has Android 1.6 and had terrible lag. I don't recommend it, especially with the Nexus One and the HTC Passion soon to grace Verizon's network.

Android 1.6, SERIOUSLY???
    It runs 1.6 because google hasn't given Motorola an update for 2.0 on the motoblur servers. Once google does this and the servers become compatible with 2.0 they are updating the system. I can tell you from customer experience that the phone isn't very laggy overall and is fantastic with social networking. So yes, 1.6...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-10-10 11:21 PM
    It runs 1.6 because google hasn't given Motorola an update for 2.0 on the motoblur servers. Once google does this and the servers become compatible with 2.0 they are updating the system. I can tell you from customer experience that the phone isn't very laggy overall and is fantastic with social networking. So yes, 1.6...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    My brother has a G1 that he purchased back in 2008 and it runs 1.6. So for a device to be released in 2010 that runs the same software as a now ancient device is laughable. I understand about the server thing but the Droid runs 2.0 (or is it 2.1?) and the Devour should run the same software right out of the box. One of the biggest complaints against Android is the different versions running on all sorts of different devices, they should all run the same software, but the same could be said for Blackberry Smartphones as well.

I can tell you that from my experience with the device that it was laggy and froze up on me and the attendant. It was her personal device and she couldn't get it to perform any tasks that she tried to show me. Judging from the experiences posted here, it was probably an exception and not the rule, but it certainly didn't make a good first impression.
    03-11-10 10:46 AM
    The Brigade looks cool. I had a GZone a while back ....The phone was nice sized and couldn't break it if I tried.I think I still have it . Brigade brings the push to talk to the table which is cool.
    03-11-10 10:58 AM
    The Brigade looks cool. I had a GZone a while back ....The phone was nice sized and couldn't break it if I tried.I think I still have it . Brigade brings the push to talk to the table which is cool.
    The Brigade sells for $249??
    Last edited by cenloe; 03-11-10 at 11:29 AM.
    03-11-10 11:22 AM
    THe G'zOne phones are expensive...

Indestructible.
    03-11-10 02:35 PM
    How in the...Well I'm guessing someone mistook the G1 (Google's first phone) for the G'z first phone. Hum...that was off topic. I have a Boulder somewhere around here as a backup. I did all the testing...

It makes calls in a bucket of water, how cool is that? I also suspended it in Jell-o. It looks so cool when it vibrates the entire Jell-O!
    03-11-10 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD