My home internet connection goes out at least once a week. I do travel some and need internet connection. Does anyone have any suggestions? My vzn wireless contract is up for phone/text/bb usage. I am on unlimited for talk and text but only have a 150 mb plan for bb. I do live in a 4 g/lte area.
    05-10-11 01:56 PM
    Switch your ISP and connection method. If you're in a 4G/LTE area, then you certainly have options. If you're on DSL, try Cable or vice versa. Verizon has a 10GB for $80/month. Pretty steep in my book. Plus, you'll get inconsistent performance to boot anyway.

I read somewhere that that average home-broadband use averages between 25-45GB per month, and it spikes higher for those who are jamming huge amounts of data via streaming Netflix or Hulu on a regular basis.

In short, a mobile broadband solution will not serve your interest. Which part of Georgia are you in and who is your local telco?
    05-11-11 12:12 AM
    I agree. You may be better if like Cricket will give you unlimited data if they have service in your area.
    05-11-11 12:56 AM
    I agree with the other responders on this... since VZW doesn't offer unlimited mobile broadband any more, you may run into overage problems if you try to completely substitute this for home internet service.

Since you mentioned that you do travel occasionally and mobile access would come in handy, you can also check out Clear to see if coverage is available in your area.

We recently picked up two of the Clear mobile hotspot devices for our business, since, though our business phones are VZW, I'm the only one with the unlimited plan since I had it before the change. You can also get a traditional USB stick-type plug-in from Clear, but we got the hotspots since you can connect up to 4 devices at once, so if we have several people at one jobsite with laptops, plus a wireless printer, everything can connect. At home, this would be handy if you have more than one computer or other device that you want to connect, or if you want to enable a visitor to connect with a laptop or use a WiFi connection on a smartphone.

The hotspot device is small enough that it can easily be tucked in your notebook PC case or briefcase when traveling.
    05-11-11 01:37 AM
    I overlooked the OPs mention about traveling. If you have a BlackBerry, the most convenient solution is to add the mobile broadband data/hotspot. They only offer the $20/2GB option now, but it's less "stuff" to screw around with. You don't need VZ AccessManager either, just use DM on your computer.

If you get a stand alone solution (like a USB modem), VZW has prepaid mobile broadband, but it's not cheap ($50 for a month, and only for 1GB ??!!!!). Bottom line, you'll end up spending $50/month with this solution. That's why I like the mobile broadband connect ($20/2GB, not the greatest, but hey...)
    05-11-11 11:53 AM
    I agree with the other responders on this... since VZW doesn't offer unlimited mobile broadband any more, you may run into overage problems if you try to completely substitute this for home internet service.

Since you mentioned that you do travel occasionally and mobile access would come in handy, you can also check out Clear to see if coverage is available in your area.

We recently picked up two of the Clear mobile hotspot devices for our business, since, though our business phones are VZW, I'm the only one with the unlimited plan since I had it before the change. You can also get a traditional USB stick-type plug-in from Clear, but we got the hotspots since you can connect up to 4 devices at once, so if we have several people at one jobsite with laptops, plus a wireless printer, everything can connect. At home, this would be handy if you have more than one computer or other device that you want to connect, or if you want to enable a visitor to connect with a laptop or use a WiFi connection on a smartphone.

The hotspot device is small enough that it can easily be tucked in your notebook PC case or briefcase when traveling.
    How much do these wifi hotspots cost a month?
    05-11-11 12:09 PM
    7scarabs, Does your mobile hotspot device work in a 3g area with clear.
    05-11-11 03:47 PM
    How much do these wifi hotspots cost a month?
    You can buy the device for $99 or "lease" (pay with your monthly service plan) for $6/month. Service plans are either $45/mo for 4G, $55/mo. for 4g + 3G, or $20 for the "mini" (200 MB of data) monthly. We have the $45/mo. plan since we're located in Chicago, and everything in the Chicago metro/NW Indiana area is in the 4G coverage area.
    Last edited by 7scarabs; 05-14-11 at 02:18 AM.
    05-14-11 02:11 AM
    7scarabs, Does your mobile hotspot device work in a 3g area with clear.
    According to the website, it's for 4G only. (Had to look it up, since I'm in Chicago where we're in 4G area). There are USB modems that switch from 4G to 3G if you will use it out of the 4G area.

I'm not sure about the availability of 4G coverage in other areas, so it's best to check your address on the website or call for info before purchasing to be sure that whatever you get will work OK for wherever you plan to use it.
    05-14-11 02:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD