Does anyone have experience with the Verizon Mobile Broadband devices? We are moving to a rural area where currently there is no high speed internet service. I am just curious to see if there was one that was better than another. In particular I think I will need a USB device because it will have to be plugged into a desktop computer.

I would just tether with my blackberry, but my wife wants internet access too.
    04-09-09 09:25 PM
    Yes to the USB device, PCMCIA card are not supported in desktops. Not to say it wont work, but we cannot help. What area are you moving to? There are coverage maps on the VZW website and if you call VZW they can pull more detailed maps of the area and let you know.
    04-09-09 09:44 PM
    Coverage is not an issue, Ive spoken to the local reps here that have pulled up the maps, and all of central Illinois has great data coverage.

I was concerned with the USB devices themselves, if they were decent as far as signal goes. I notice two USB devices on the VZW website, is one really better than the other?
    04-09-09 09:51 PM
    PCMCIA card are not supported in desktops. Not to say it wont work, but we cannot help.
    Why not? Same OS. If someone has a PCMCIA card reader on a desktop, it would work identically to one in a laptop.

I just can't understand why anyone would have a PCMCIA reader on a desktop... that would be like having an ISA video card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 09:53 PM
    Like I said, I know of those that do it and call us for support, I tell them sorry and get them into a USB device. Now, This was also the level of non-support prior to USB modems as well.
    04-09-09 09:55 PM
    or you can tether too, there isn't much difference in speed since the storm uses REV. A just like the bba cards...if your PC has bluetooth you should be able to tether through that and put the phone by the window to squeeze a bit more out of the bandwidth...
    04-09-09 10:18 PM
    REV A and B/T not good. If i am not mistaken the transfer rate on BT is only 420 Kbps. THe USB cale light speed faster, not to mention the battery drain with BT
    04-09-09 10:22 PM
    Tethering is not an option as stated in the first post. We need internet access at home when I am gone too, and Im not leaving my phone at home.
    04-09-09 11:11 PM
    Like I said, I know of those that do it and call us for support, I tell them sorry and get them into a USB device. Now, This was also the level of non-support prior to USB modems as well.
    So then people should be smarter than the rep & just not tell them it isn't a laptop - because troubleshooting would be exactly the same.

04-09-09 11:22 PM
    Ah no, not what I am saying. I am saying the VZW will not support this type of set up. That is what I am sayng nothing more, nothing less.
    04-09-09 11:26 PM
    Ah no, not what I am saying. I am saying the VZW will not support this type of set up. That is what I am sayng nothing more, nothing less.
    I know that's what you're saying - but coupled with the website issues, we do have reason to believe there are total dolts in charge of some things at VZW. As a friend of mine said elsewhere...
    Yeah whatever.

. . . .

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 04-10-09 at 09:17 AM.
    04-10-09 12:02 AM
    I bought one of the black ones with the Micro Memory card slot and it was sweet but in the place I work at, it wasn't too good. I decided to just try a different one, the white one (Pantech UM175) to see what kind of results I get and I love it. I get good coverage, not the best but better then the black one. Speed one both were the same unless I was at work where coverage was weak. But at home where I get full service, both performed the same.
    04-10-09 12:46 AM
    We recently moved to a rural area and finally got a Verizon Pantech usb after being stuck with dialup service for the first six months we lived here. It works great at our house, even down in the basement where our ATT cell phones get no signal. We use the usb in our desktop and laptops, and it works very well in both. I think it is a bit pricey, though, especially since you have a usage limit. I'm always paranoid that we'll go over our limit.

04-10-09 01:12 AM
    We recently moved to a rural area and finally got a Verizon Pantech usb after being stuck with dialup service for the first six months we lived here. It works great at our house, even down in the basement where our ATT cell phones get no signal. We use the usb in our desktop and laptops, and it works very well in both. I think it is a bit pricey, though, especially since you have a usage limit. I'm always paranoid that we'll go over our limit.

You can monitor your usage right from the software or your My VZW account at New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless
    04-10-09 09:15 AM
    Not to take anything away from Verizon, but have you checked into HughesNet Services?

04-10-09 08:13 PM
    Yeah... I had hughesnet when I lived in the area previously. The speeds were ok but rain fade was a big issue and the latency was TERRIBLE. From the reviews I read the mobile broadband was a little faster and the latency was quite a bit better. It is just for checking email and surfing, so I dont think we will have a problem with the 5GB cap.
    04-10-09 08:19 PM
    The latency is bad on satellite. The upload speeds are awful, too.

With your anticipated usage, it sounds like you'll be fine. Just no World of Warcraft or big video downloads.

Wanted to make sure all options were brought up.

04-10-09 10:24 PM
    We do play stuff like World of Warcraft, which is why I am paranoid about going over my 5g limit. I know I can check my usage right from the VZAccess software, but it doesn't keep track in real time. It can only show me what we used up to about 12 hours ago. So one kid's Runescape battle could end up costing me a fortune in that 12 hour gap! I called Verizon to see how I could get it to show a more updated figure, and they said some people get a bit more current numbers than 12 hours, but that there wasn't a way to see up to the minute usage. So when we get close to our limit we just have to quit using it until the next cycle starts. It's a bummer in that way, but we have been pleased with the device in general.

I did lots of checking into the satellite internet options (hughesnet and wild blue) before picking the usb mobile. I have yet to meet anyone who is really happy with their satellite service. It just seems very tempermental.

04-11-09 01:13 AM
    We do play stuff like World of Warcraft, which is why I am paranoid about going over my 5g limit. I know I can check my usage right from the VZAccess software, but it doesn't keep track in real time. It can only show me what we used up to about 12 hours ago.
    FreeMeter

I believe it can monitor all connections, including VZAccess. Free, too.
    04-11-09 01:39 AM
    Does anyone have experience with the Verizon Mobile Broadband devices? We are moving to a rural area where currently there is no high speed internet service. I am just curious to see if there was one that was better than another. In particular I think I will need a USB device because it will have to be plugged into a desktop computer.

I would just tether with my blackberry, but my wife wants internet access too.
    USB 727 is great, and a lot faster than USB 720.
    04-11-09 02:18 AM
    I ended up ordering the UM175 USB device. Interestingly enough, I read a lot of reviews saying people had ordered the more expensive USB760 and ended up returning if for the UM175. They claimed they saw better speeds with the 175. I wonder if it has something to do with the 175 being able to tilt upwards.

Off topic, is there a such thing as polarization for cell phones? Just curious, I work with a lot of long range wireless bandwidth gear and that is something we have to pay attention to. For example, do you get more signal with a phone sitting upright than you do while its sitting on its back?
    04-11-09 11:15 AM
    Enter your location
    I use this and it works great
    04-11-09 12:23 PM
    I ended up ordering the UM175 USB device. Interestingly enough, I read a lot of reviews saying people had ordered the more expensive USB760 and ended up returning if for the UM175. They claimed they saw better speeds with the 175. I wonder if it has something to do with the 175 being able to tilt upwards.
    In a product line of 30 gazillion devices, some are bound to not be optimal. Sorry, just happens. The 760 is the better device plus comes with the most recent software.

Off topic, is there a such thing as polarization for cell phones? Just curious, I work with a lot of long range wireless bandwidth gear and that is something we have to pay attention to. For example, do you get more signal with a phone sitting upright than you do while its sitting on its back?
    Let me get back to you on that one. I don't THINK it makes a difference, but it might in an older handset.
    04-11-09 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD