I have just recently become a Verizon customer but not by choice. I was an Alltel customer for many years. My question is this. Only since the switchover, myself, my bf and all of my friends have had a problem not getting calls, texts and voicemails. If I have a call when I have no service, it may take 4-5 days for the vm to show up. Texts may take several hours to show up. Is this a normal thing with Verizon? I have a bb pearl and they have razrs. So I can't say that it is a bb problem, or a razr problem. Anyone else have these problems?
    09-18-09 09:52 PM
    It isn't a normal thing but it is normal for Alltel customers. Call tech support and tell them to fix it. Don't take no for an answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 09:54 PM
    It isn't a normal thing but it is normal for Alltel customers. Call tech support and tell them to fix it. Don't take no for an answer.

We never had these problems with Alltel. What can tech support do?
    09-18-09 10:00 PM
    There are lots of things that they can do. Including having the issue escalated to the netwrok group. If you do not report it, they cannot fix it.
    09-18-09 10:08 PM
    There are lots of things that they can do. Including having the issue escalated to the netwrok group. If you do not report it, they cannot fix it.
    Thanks. I will call them tomorrow.
    09-18-09 10:13 PM
    What you're experiencing is the towers are being switched, but your phones are not keeping up.

A fix is to convert to VZW phones, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Tech might be able to help you with a hybrid PRL - a file that tells your phone which towers to use. Your current PRL is looking for towers that are now coded differently.

VZW is seriously hamhanding the transition. It could be simpler if they would only relax some of their network QC checks. What they are doing is recertifying each tower, the same way they certify & reflash non-VZW phones to be used on the network.

What you might find more to your advantage is to find another carrier, file with VZW for poor service (no ETF that way) and head to a new carrier.

Honestly, I don't know why any Alltel customer sticks around. VZW is better than this - better than Alltel - but Alltel customers are seriously getting hosed.

09-18-09 10:16 PM
    Yow! How much more can one person endorse and totally slam the same company? You got to love it especially since he is right. He usually is.

09-18-09 10:20 PM
    When I speak the truth, I am always right.

Those who see VZW as doing no wrong miss reality. VZW makes just as many, if not more errors, as other carriers. VZW is not the end-all of wireless carriers. With a tweak here & a nudge there, AT&T could eclipse VZW pretty quickly - except in matters of LTE licensing & coverage.

So if you want the eventual coverage & bandwidth, you have to consign yourself to sleeping with the Big Red Devil.

09-18-09 11:55 PM
    What you're experiencing is the towers are being switched, but your phones are not keeping up.

A fix is to convert to VZW phones, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Tech might be able to help you with a hybrid PRL - a file that tells your phone which towers to use. Your current PRL is looking for towers that are now coded differently.

VZW is seriously hamhanding the transition. It could be simpler if they would only relax some of their network QC checks. What they are doing is recertifying each tower, the same way they certify & reflash non-VZW phones to be used on the network.

What you might find more to your advantage is to find another carrier, file with VZW for poor service (no ETF that way) and head to a new carrier.

Honestly, I don't know why any Alltel customer sticks around. VZW is better than this - better than Alltel - but Alltel customers are seriously getting hosed.

I have never seen anything that has convinced me that vzw is better then alltel thats for sure.I know they are not all perfect but alltel had been a superior system for me due to the fact I had very few droped calls , maybe once every few months but with vzw I have had as many as 3 in one day back to back and even was outside on the last time the call got dropped . So vzw has a very long way to convince me how good they are a Very long way .I have a vzw phone so the alltel phone being on the vzw system is not the issue.
    Last edited by DavidNC; 09-19-09 at 08:51 AM.
    09-19-09 08:43 AM
    I have never seen anything that has convinced me that vzw is better then alltel thats for sure.I know they are not all perfect but alltel had been a superior system for me due to the fact I had very few droped calls , maybe once every few months but with vzw I have had as many as 3 in one day back to back and even was outside on the last time the call got dropped . So vzw has a very long way to convince me how good they are a Very long way .
    I don't like how they are handling this either. VZW should have left the networks/prl's alone (as they were before the merger) till they were ready to integrate the networks. Johnson City, TN (and the surrounding area) was integrated about a month ago and I've been told by a friend that their coverage issues are now resolved. So it's just going to be bad till the network integration in your area is completed.
    09-19-09 09:06 AM
    I live in the charlotte,nc area anyway of knowing when this area will be completed? Thanks for your answer.

Last edited by DavidNC; 09-19-09 at 09:30 AM.
    09-19-09 09:27 AM
    I have never seen anything that has convinced me that vzw is better then alltel thats for sure.I know they are not all perfect but alltel had been a superior system for me due to the fact I had very few droped calls , maybe once every few months but with vzw I have had as many as 3 in one day back to back and even was outside on the last time the call got dropped . So vzw has a very long way to convince me how good they are a Very long way .I have a vzw phone so the alltel phone being on the vzw system is not the issue.
    We haven't had these problems with Alltel. Granted, we did have problems, or issues. But voicemails taking 4-5 days to show up is CRAZY. What if there had been an emergency? Isn't that the (a) reason people carry cell phones???
    09-19-09 01:40 PM
    As a former Alltel customer now verizon since the merger I have to agree with twinsx2dad, they have really screwed this up. I can't believe the fcc is allowing this to happen. I thought they were there to protect US not allow us to get run over. Since the merger alltel customers are treated as 2nd rate at best. I went to a verizon store to get an env3 for my daughter recently and they lied like dogs saying the phone would not work with my plan. I'm like its your phone, your network and you're trying to tell me it simply won't work because I don't have a verizon plan and they stated no it will not work. I knew that had to be bullcrap so I went home, ordered the env3 thru customer service and when I got it 2 days later everything worked just fine. The fcc should not allow us to be treated in this fashion.
    09-19-09 04:02 PM
    As a former Alltel customer now verizon since the merger I have to agree with twinsx2dad, they have really screwed this up.
    Agreed.

I can't believe the fcc is allowing this to happen. I thought they were there to protect US not allow us to get run over. Since the merger alltel customers are treated as 2nd rate at best.
    What makes you think that the FCC or any government agency is competent? How was Bernie Madoff able to pull the wool over the SEC's eyes for so long? How many days did it take FEMA to get food and water to the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina?

I went to a verizon store to get an env3 for my daughter recently and they lied like dogs saying the phone would not work with my plan. I'm like its your phone, your network and you're trying to tell me it simply won't work because I don't have a verizon plan and they stated no it will not work.
    Sounds more like incompetence to me. I think that they actually thought they were being truthful.
    09-19-09 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD