04-29-09 08:20 PM
    Very interesting, and nice to see a fellow Oilers fan!
    04-29-09 09:13 PM
    Only one thing thay concerned me in the article. iPhone on the VZW CDMA network. This will not happen, if and when VZW carries an iPhone it will be on the new LTE network.
    04-29-09 09:15 PM
    Only one thing thay concerned me in the article. iPhone on the VZW CDMA network. This will not happen, if and when VZW carries an iPhone it will be on the new LTE network.
    You think it's going to be LTE only? You don't think it'll have a CDMA chip to fall back on for people in areas that LTE won't be in for a while? Just a thought.
    04-29-09 09:41 PM
    If we were to have a CDMA device, we would have gotten the original iPhone, as VZW was approached first and said no. THere is reason we do not have this device now, It is network hog and part of the reason from what I hear ATT network is sufferning with it.
    04-29-09 09:47 PM
    If we were to have a CDMA device, we would have gotten the original iPhone, as VZW was approached first and said no. THere is reason we do not have this device now, It is network hog and part of the reason from what I hear ATT network is sufferning with it.
    From what I heard, the reason it was declined was because Verizon and Apple couldn't come to a mutually beneficial agreement... Apple wanted too much money for the device itself, they wanted too much of the cut for the data packages, and they wanted too much control of the customer experience. Apple wanted to handle all customers with the iPhone, and Verizon didn't want to open up their billing system to Apple... But, I only know of the rumors I hear. I wasn't involved in the "behind closed doors" meetings about the agreement... But, if VZW does get an LTE only iPhone, I just don't see it coming out anytime soon. Test markets are supposed to be up by the end of this year, with consumer roll-outs by the end of next year, if there are no hold-ups... And when LTE rolls out, it's only going to be in a few markets, meaning that if an iPhone were LTE only and released, it would only work in the few markets where LTE is up and running... It would be like iPhone making a wimax only device now, it wouldn't work hardly anywhere. But, if they make one that has LTE and CDMA, they could release it sooner, and everyone would benefit, not just the few markets with LTE...

Edit: And the reason AT&T's network is suffering is because it sucks
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 04-29-09 at 09:57 PM. Reason: AT&T Trash
    04-29-09 09:55 PM
    From what I heard, the reason it was declined was because Verizon and Apple couldn't come to a mutually beneficial agreement... Apple wanted too much money for the device itself, they wanted too much of the cut for the data packages, and they wanted too much control of the customer experience. Apple wanted to handle all customers with the iPhone, and Verizon didn't want to open up their billing system to Apple... But, I only know of the rumors I hear. I wasn't involved in the "behind closed doors" meetings about the agreement... But, if VZW does get an LTE only iPhone, I just don't see it coming out anytime soon. Test markets are supposed to be up by the end of this year, with consumer roll-outs by the end of next year, if there are no hold-ups... And when LTE rolls out, it's only going to be in a few markets, meaning that if an iPhone were LTE only and released, it would only work in the few markets where LTE is up and running... It would be like iPhone making a wimax only device now, it wouldn't work hardly anywhere. But, if they make one that has LTE and CDMA, they could release it sooner, and everyone would benefit, not just the few markets with LTE...

Edit: And the reason AT&T's network is suffering is because it sucks
    Yes I have thought about limits of the LTE market at first, but the info I have comes from a high ranking (president) with in VZW As a matter of fact I had the market limitation discussion today with a co-worker today. You are also correct about the agreement not being reached the other details. I have heard the samethings.

There is a test marlet up and running already. Rollout of LTE should start sometime late next year if all goes well. Again same source.
    04-29-09 10:02 PM
    According to my high end source, lte is not going to be out late next year. It will be much sooner. We will start seeing lte phones very shortly and all of them for the first three years will dual band with cdma including any iphone types of phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 12:25 AM
    ^^^^^What are the chances of Verizon using sim/smart cards in their LTE devices? I have read some pretty lively debates on this subject but would like to get your opinion.
    04-30-09 01:04 AM
    I find this puzzling. I think it's att's network in general. Last year when I went to WES, my co-worker had an ATT device, it couldn't get service and my VZW 8830 could. As were many of the ATT devices down there. Even my ATT rep couldn't send me his new contact info. My VZW worked flawlessly down there. The ATT rep tried to blame it on all the international roamers but I think it's just their network.
    04-30-09 09:51 AM
    Are u serious? Wow..................................
    04-30-09 10:10 AM
    I'm loving how they are bashing the crud out of the CDMA ntwk... sheesh... it is FAR superior to GSM.. who cares its the "global" standard. still sucks.
    04-30-09 10:20 AM
    Or maybe you already know the answer; with all this talk of LTE and maybe
    I already know the answer; from a logical point of view.
    How will LTE compare to that of a Satellite network.
    As far as reliability in a natural disaster; and signal strength.
    Satellite phones are the business...
    I am not expecting an immediate answer.
    I know this may be a curve ball for u.
    Thanks
    04-30-09 10:28 AM
    Or maybe you already know the answer; with all this talk of LTE and maybe
    I already know the answer; from a logical point of view.
    How will LTE compare to that of a Satellite network.
    As far as reliability in a natural disaster; and signal strength.
    Satellite phones are the business...
    I am not expecting an immediate answer.
    I know this may be a curve ball for u.
    Thanks
    I've not heard anything about the LTE ntwk as of yet... but data techs are always the last ones to know anything. We havent even been enlightened on when or if we're getting the Niagra.. Apparently everyone else knows, but none of my collegues or myself have ANY clue about it.
    Apparently there was a software upgrade to 4.5 on the 8830 and I heard about it from a Customer Care rep.
    Crazy.
    Every network has its flaws. And I'm sorry if I got a little hyped about CDMA vs GSM. Ive been on both networks as a consumer AND as an employee...
    Currently in the USA CDMA, service wise, IS superior.
    Now, the setback... going international... CDMA sucks that you have to "rent" a phone or invest in a whole prepay phone once you get there.
    I'm not gonna lie there... I loved my Tmo phone when I was living in Germany.
    Tmo is their landline over there and I had my phone from home and they just stuck a german sim in there and I didnt have to play contract or anything.
    However, when I came back, service went down the tubes.. I felt like I was going from broadband to dialup... LOL
    Got Verizon... woot... sweet network... been w/ em ever since.
    04-30-09 10:39 AM
    Heather
    Thats ok being passionate; and yes I do know that CDMA is a much stronger signal.
    That is the plus for the Storm it is global.
    04-30-09 10:47 AM
    ^^^^^What are the chances of Verizon using sim/smart cards in their LTE devices? I have read some pretty lively debates on this subject but would like to get your opinion.
    I doubt VZW will SIM cards at all. If I recall a conversation about this.
    04-30-09 06:06 PM
    I find this puzzling. I think it's att's network in general. Last year when I went to WES, my co-worker had an ATT device, it couldn't get service and my VZW 8830 could. As were many of the ATT devices down there. Even my ATT rep couldn't send me his new contact info. My VZW worked flawlessly down there. The ATT rep tried to blame it on all the international roamers but I think it's just their network.
    I am sure the network in general plays into it. iPhone must ping the network to maintain a connection, from what I have been told. now imagine all those phone pinging the network constantly.
    04-30-09 06:08 PM
    I doubt VZW will SIM cards at all. If I recall a conversation about this.
    According to this we may see some form of SIM card on big red. Take this thread how you want.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - LTE draft specs released: USIM card supported, but may still force GIN
    05-02-09 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD