Hi all, I just wanted to run this by you, think out loud a bit, to see if this makes sense.

I currently have my BB 9930 on a 732 area code (NJ). Now have the opportunity to have a business cell phone and really would love everything kept separate. So I want to add a 301 (MD/DC) area code line. I'd like to use my BB 9930 on the business line. I'm not sure what phone I'll get for my personal phone, but I may get an iPhone since I have family members I want to use facetime with.

What's the best way to do this? I imagine I could order new phone on new MD/DC line. Then is there any repercussion to switch which phones are on the NJ and MD/DC lines? If I can avoid an upgrade fee, that'd be nice too. My NJ line (the 9930 now) has an upgrade date of next April, hopefully can get a cool new BB then.

Is there anything I'm missing? I have a basic phone and an old BB lying around, if it made sense to activate one of those first instead, creating the new line.
    09-17-12 01:58 AM
    1st - do you intend on keeping your legacy plan?

Why not just get a google voice number for MD/DC? have it ring on your 9930.

2nd is your MD/DC line expensable

3rd if you add a line , will it change you to the share everything?
    09-17-12 08:04 AM
    1) So I'm actually already on share everything as with our other lines combined, it represents a significant financial savings for us.

2) I did consider GV, but the problem is related to expensing. I'd be entitled to either $80 or $100 (depending on if I can justify tethering) with the additional 301 number. No questions asked, as long as your bill is that amount. They do want to see the number on the bill (only have to turn in first page) though. While the explanation would make sense to any sane person, I don't know if it'll be the same person approving it every month, etc. My logic is kind of "this will make my job easier to do, allow me to be more responsive, and for the extra $40 for a line, I will get at least twice that back each month". Certainly I could expense the one line I already have and really profit, but I don't know if I want to be that greedy, and the fact that it's an out of area number will look odd to clients. Conversely I don't want to give up that number because it's what all my friends and family have... and like Bon Jovi said, "you can take the boy from his home, but you can't take the home from the boy".

3) There is a part of me that really wants to shut the thing off at times, or leave it home when I don't want to deal with it. Having everything on one line/device makes that hard to do. Also, you have to consent to remote wiping in the event you go AWOL, etc. I have seen some of the higher up project managers here where they have clients and their spouses calling on the same number and it doesn't seem like a pretty situation.

If anyone has any other innovative ideas to get around the "2 phone problem", let me know!
    09-17-12 08:27 AM
    If I understand you correctly, you have a 732 area code BlackBerry 9930. You want a new 301 area code number to be on your current BlackBerry and a new phone on the existing 732 area code number.

Ok, considering you're already on share everything this is a matter of whether or not you're willing to commit to a 2 year contract on a new 301 number. If you're willing to do that, then it's just simply adding a new line on to your account getting the phone of your choice at the 2-year contract price. There will be a $35 activation fee as with all new numbers. Let's say it's the iPhone 5. Once you get the iPhone 5 with the new 301 number, you can ask your rep to switch the devices so that the 301 number will be on the BlackBerry and your personal 732 number will be on the iPhone 5. There is no cost to switch devices. The cost here aside from the phone and activation fee is really the 2 year contract you're signing that carries with it a early termination fee of up to $350 if you decide to cancel the service for the number.

If you don't mind using your old Blackberry or your other phone, you can simply add a new line with an existing device. Reps love these. The activation fee of $35 still applies but there wouldn't be a contract on the new 301 number. The process would be this: replace the Blackberry with either device on the 732 number and then add the new 301 number with your Bold 9930. Of course the trade off is 2 year contract and new phone.

Another alternative is to buy a used iPhone off of eBay. This situation is just the same as in scenario 2 where you're first replacing your BlackBerry on 732 with the iPhone and then taking the Bold 9930 which is now free and adding it back onto your account with a new number - no contract.

Let me know if there's anything I need to clarify.
    10-18-12 10:56 PM
    If I understand you correctly, you have a 732 area code BlackBerry 9930. You want a new 301 area code number to be on your current BlackBerry and a new phone on the existing 732 area code number.

Ok, considering you're already on share everything this is a matter of whether or not you're willing to commit to a 2 year contract on a new 301 number. If you're willing to do that, then it's just simply adding a new line on to your account getting the phone of your choice at the 2-year contract price. There will be a $35 activation fee as with all new numbers. Let's say it's the iPhone 5. Once you get the iPhone 5 with the new 301 number, you can ask your rep to switch the devices so that the 301 number will be on the BlackBerry and your personal 732 number will be on the iPhone 5. There is no cost to switch devices. The cost here aside from the phone and activation fee is really the 2 year contract you're signing that carries with it a early termination fee of up to $350 if you decide to cancel the service for the number.

If you don't mind using your old Blackberry or your other phone, you can simply add a new line with an existing device. Reps love these. The activation fee of $35 still applies but there wouldn't be a contract on the new 301 number. The process would be this: replace the Blackberry with either device on the 732 number and then add the new 301 number with your Bold 9930. Of course the trade off is 2 year contract and new phone.

Another alternative is to buy a used iPhone off of eBay. This situation is just the same as in scenario 2 where you're first replacing your BlackBerry on 732 with the iPhone and then taking the Bold 9930 which is now free and adding it back onto your account with a new number - no contract.

Let me know if there's anything I need to clarify.
    10-18-12 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD