Sorry all,

I am very much a newbie and learning about BB. I have only had it for about 2 months and this site is great thanks to all the people like me who have to learn things the hard way but are nice enough to share what they have learned.

Can someone tell me what a memory leak is? I have seen this posted alot but have no idea what that means. Also how do you identify it?

Thanks,
    Byrd-ie
    05-04-09 02:05 PM
    A memory leak is when the device memory drops from one value to a lower value. For instance, when I do a soft reset (battery pull without the battery pull), my device memory (Options>Status) is around 16MB. After a few hours, it has dropped to around 14 or 15MB. I believe this is due to some applications continuing to run after they have been closed out.

This is a big deal for the 8830 because with older OS's, once you got under 12MB, it deleted messages without any warning. The new OS's (4.5 versions) don't seem to do this, but I try to pretty vigilant about checking my memory to make sure I don't drop this low.

In my opinion, this is the only disadvantage of the 8830. I don't need a camera, which is what others would consider a disadvantage.
    05-04-09 02:13 PM
    I have used Windows Mobile many times before and there is a way to view running processes like Windows task manager so you can end processes that are running that shouldn't be. Is there anything like the task manager or some option to see what all is running in the Curve 8330 or any Blackberry device?
    05-04-09 02:22 PM
    A memory leak is when the device memory drops from one value to a lower value. For instance, when I do a soft reset (battery pull without the battery pull), my device memory (Options>Status) is around 16MB. After a few hours, it has dropped to around 14 or 15MB. I believe this is due to some applications continuing to run after they have been closed out.

This is a big deal for the 8830 because with older OS's, once you got under 12MB, it deleted messages without any warning. The new OS's (4.5 versions) don't seem to do this, but I try to pretty vigilant about checking my memory to make sure I don't drop this low.

In my opinion, this is the only disadvantage of the 8830. I don't need a camera, which is what others would consider a disadvantage.
    That makes sense! Thanks for the info.

One other question, this may sound stupid but when I look at my memory mine is a a little over 3.1 million bytes and I cannot remember the conversion rate from bytes to MB. Is there a way I can change the format maybe?

Thanks for your help and quick response! I love this site it is teaching me alot!!
    05-04-09 02:26 PM
    kb = 1000 bytes
    MB = 1000000 bytes

If you are that low, I recommend a soft reset: hold your alt+shift+del keys down until the screen goes black. Wait until the screen lights up and you get the hourglass, and then do this again. This accomplishes the same thing as a battery pull, just without the battery pull.
    05-04-09 07:54 PM
    A memory leak is simply an os not properly releasing resources from memory once the application has stopped using it. BB is notorious for this in some os iterations, something made even worse by not offering a task manager like Windows has. Each time your device commits data to memory it should release is, bit per bit and byte per byte. But it doesn't do this on BB. It may commit 500kb for an operation but when that operation is complete only 480kb might be released. Before you know it you have lost mb and worse to this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 08:58 PM
    Also this doesn't matter much on a desktop computer but it could add up quickly on a small system like BB.

1GB=1,024MB
    1MB=1,024KB

Computers are not metric.

05-04-09 09:02 PM
    kb = 1000 bytes
    MB = 1000000 bytes

If you are that low, I recommend a soft reset: hold your alt+shift+del keys down until the screen goes black. Wait until the screen lights up and you get the hourglass, and then do this again. This accomplishes the same thing as a battery pull, just without the battery pull.
    That helped brought it up from 2.4 million bytes to 9.9..does that seem low?
    05-05-09 09:13 AM
    I am on wap so I can't see your info what phone is it? My pearl consistently runs 13 - 14........

05-05-09 11:29 AM
    I guess really no matter what your device is, that isn't necessarily problematic low......... But its pretty low..... My current file free is 11005961 Bytes and I have 3500 text messages for well over 1 mb and 14 mms for over one meg as well

05-05-09 11:38 AM
    I am on wap so I can't see your info what phone is it? My pearl consistently runs 13 - 14........

I am on the 8830 WE
    05-05-09 11:55 AM
    I guess really no matter what your device is, that isn't necessarily problematic low......... But its pretty low..... My current file free is 11005961 Bytes and I have 3500 text messages for well over 1 mb and 14 mms for over one meg as well

my file free is 9235292 right now..do I need to increase memory?
    05-05-09 11:57 AM
    That seems low for an 8830. Have you noticed any older messages suddenly disappearing?

I have a few other questions. What apps do you have on your phone? Do you have a memory card? If so, move all your pictures and music to it - you can't move apps to a memory card. Finally, have you tried the memory optimization techniques? Check out this link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    05-05-09 02:10 PM
    That seems low for an 8830. Have you noticed any older messages suddenly disappearing?

I have a few other questions. What apps do you have on your phone? Do you have a memory card? If so, move all your pictures and music to it - you can't move apps to a memory card. Finally, have you tried the memory optimization techniques? Check out this link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Have not really monitored the messages so not sure if they disappear but I dont think so

These are the apps I have Pandora, Facebook, WeatherChannel,Espn, Nascar.com, Mobile Banking, CrackBerry, and Blackberry App World

I dont think I have a memory card and I only have 2 MP3's and 1 picture on it. I have only had it for a little over 2 months or so
    05-05-09 02:40 PM
    Do the memory optimization. This involves getting rid of preinstalled videos, pictures, etc. I am using ESPN, crackberry, docs 2 go, and a calculator. I have an 8GB microSD card, and I am currently running about 16000000 bytes.
    05-05-09 02:55 PM
    Have not really monitored the messages so not sure if they disappear but I dont think so

These are the apps I have Pandora, Facebook, WeatherChannel,Espn, Nascar.com, Mobile Banking, CrackBerry, and Blackberry App World

I dont think I have a memory card and I only have 2 MP3's and 1 picture on it. I have only had it for a little over 2 months or so
    The free memory is exclusive of your memory card, since you cannot run apps from the mediacard. You are <12mb free, so you should optimize memory. Before you do, do a complete restart of your BB by doing a batt pull and then check your file free. If still too low, look for apps you don't use and preload images to remove first. That usually will get you in the ballpark. Also check your message settings to make sure your phone dumps old messages using number of days as a rule. Then remember to save or archive messages you need to keep as you get them.

05-05-09 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD