BlackBerry device to
      your computer.
    2. Open the BlackBerry
      Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Media Manager.
    4. Drag a file or folder
      from one location to
      another.

but, um hello, there is no choice for the media manager. Anyone know how I can get this as an option to click?

Thanks
    08-03-08 01:09 PM
    Did you install the roxio media Manger? This would have installed with a typical install. If you did a custom, you may have uncheck this feature? ALso did you install 4.3 desktop that came with phone?
    08-03-08 01:16 PM
    Did you install the roxio media Manger? This would have installed with a typical install. If you did a custom, you may have uncheck this feature? ALso did you install 4.3 desktop that came with phone?
    I have no idea what roxio media manager is? I just did the typical install of the 4.3 desktop that came with the phone.
    08-03-08 01:19 PM
    Then it should be there, you may want to remove the DM (Desktop) and re-install. Roxio menda manager is what tou are looking for- it handles moving of music and pictures to and from your device. ALthough there are other ways if you an SD card. When hooked up the device should ask you to enable mass storage mode. Then you can just drag and from the computer to the card and visa versa
    08-03-08 01:23 PM
    Go to bb.com and dl from there site, make sure to select media manger also.
    08-03-08 01:32 PM
    Unless you've already got pictures or other media in your device memory, you don't really need Media Manager, and it's a pain to use. If you don't need it, you can use Mass Storage Mode instead. Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You have to have a Media Card to use it. You enable it as follows:

Status/Options/Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BB into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the blackberry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

Media Manager and Mass Storage Mode are mutually incompatible. If you want to run Media Manager, turn off Mass Storage Mode. But for most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is once, to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the blackberry and your PC.
    08-03-08 01:38 PM
    OK, I'm currently downloading a big (212mb) file of 4.3 with media manager from blackberry.com.

I found it funny that I had to have a "Job title" and "company" field filled out before being permitted to download. Do they realize some people have them for personal use?
    08-03-08 01:45 PM
    Unless you've already got pictures or other media in your device memory, you don't really need Media Manager, and it's a pain to use. If you don't need it, you can use Mass Storage Mode instead. Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You have to have a Media Card to use it. You enable it as follows:

Plug the BB into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the blackberry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

Media Manager and Mass Storage Mode are mutually incompatible. If you want to run Media Manager, turn off Mass Storage Mode. But for most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is once, to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the blackberry and your PC.
    Does this still allow you to uses the Media Sync app? Thanks for the tip this does sound a lot easier.
    08-03-08 01:53 PM
    Does this still allow you to uses the Media Sync app? Thanks for the tip this does sound a lot easier.
    I haven't used Media Sync, so I looked it up on the Blackberry site. It doesn't say how it synch's your music files, so I don't know if it requires Media Manager or not. I'd try it, but I don't have an itunes installed on this computer.
    08-03-08 02:08 PM
    Question:

Is Roxio media manager the same Media Manager that is supposed to be in the Desktop manager?

I just spent all this time downloading and installing it, and I get the same blasted screen I had before without the option for media manager.

here's a screen print of all my choices...
    Attachment 3299
    Last edited by mistyinca; 08-03-08 at 02:27 PM.
    08-03-08 02:24 PM
    Meia Manager is seperate. I think is a software that will sync itunes to your phone. Under normal cirumstances itunes music is not supported the device. Is you music itunes?
    08-03-08 02:40 PM
    Meia Manager is seperate. I think is a software that will sync itunes to your phone. Under normal cirumstances itunes music is not supported the device. Is you music itunes?
    But what my question is, is:

Is the "media manager" option that should be on that screen the same thing as the roxio media manager that you speak of? or are there two different "media managers" out there?

thanks!
    confused
    08-03-08 02:45 PM
    The media manager should be on the desktop now. Just looked at mine and it is there. SO as I said before, looks like your was not installed, based on the picture I see above. Theome I am refering to comes native with the desktop and will not sync itunes music to the phone
    08-03-08 02:49 PM
    But what my question is, is:

Is the "media manager" option that should be on that screen the same thing as the roxio media manager that you speak of? or are there two different "media managers" out there?

thanks!
    confused
    Yes. The Media Manager option on the Desktop Manager screen is the same app as the Roxio Media Manager discussed here. Media Sync is the itunes sync app. It is a different app. Media Manager is included in Desktop Manager if you install the version of desktop manager that includes it. Did you install it after downloading it? Or did you just download it?
    08-03-08 02:59 PM
    Yes. The Media Manager option on the Desktop Manager screen is the same app as the Roxio Media Manager discussed here. Media Sync is the itunes sync app. It is a different app. Media Manager is included in Desktop Manager if you install the version of desktop manager that includes it. Did you install it after downloading it? Or did you just download it?
    I installed the disk that came with my blackberry, and I get only these choices:
    Attachment 3305

So then I went to the control panel, and selected modify, then I highlighted media mgr, put the disk back in, went through finishing, and got the same screen.

Then I deleted it, reinstalled fresh, and I got (you guessed it) the same screen.

Then I deleted it again, downloaded the 4.3 with media manager english from the bb website, and went through the install process. Believing that Roxio was a whole nother application, I cancelled the install of that portion.

Got the same screen.

Just deleted it again. Reinstalled it. Allowed the roxio, and let's see what I get now... but I must restart before using...so I'll be back...
    08-03-08 03:25 PM
    yay! It's finally here... Thanks JeffH for clarifying that for me!
    Attachment 3306
    08-03-08 03:35 PM
    Glad you got it straightened out. You may find you don't really need it, after initially getting your pix, etc, out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode is much faster to use.
    08-03-08 03:53 PM
    Glad you got it straightened out. You may find you don't really need it, after initially getting your pix, etc, out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode is much faster to use.
    Is "Mass Storage Mode" when you just open it up through windows explorer, like a usb drive and drag and drop? If so, I've already used it that way to install a freebie theme I d/l'd yesterday.
    08-03-08 03:56 PM
    Is "Mass Storage Mode" when you just open it up through windows explorer, like a usb drive and drag and drop? If so, I've already used it that way to install a freebie theme I d/l'd yesterday.
    That's it. You are correct. Now that you've got both Media Manager and Mass Storage Mode available to you, just remember they are incompatible with each other. See my post #6 for the details. You just can't use them at the same time.
    08-03-08 04:01 PM

Hello! After waiting an hour twice on hold with Verizon, asking at the store, fiddling around with Desktop Manager and generally hitting walls trying to find out how to transfer photos and Voicenotes from my Curve to my computer....I thankfully have found your answer here. Worked like a charm. Instead of dragging and dropping files, though, I went to Edit, Select All, and Copy Items...(I copied to My Documents). That might be useful information for someone who wants to copy all to their PC. I really appreciate your help and time contributing to this forum, Jeff. Thanks!
    12-06-08 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD