I'm leaving on Sunday for Europe and wanted to bring a global phone with me (my Curve isn't) so I called Verizon for my options. Basically I'm paying 40 bux (including shipping) to rent a Blackberry Global 8830 to use for two weeks (unlimited email, BBM, internet...still have to pay for calls and texts).

Here's the problem. On the phone I questioned the woman about using my SD card in the global phone for picture purposes. She told me I would have to reformat the disk which would mean losing all my pictures so I said nvm, that I'd just save pics on the phone's memory and email them to myself. I just looked up reviews for this phone on the Verizon site and I learned that there is no camera and the overall reviews aren't very good. I would reallyyy prefer a camera and now I'm nervous I'll be dealing with a crappy phone.

I tried calling them back but they close at 11pm. I have my alarm set for 6am to call them and possibly cancel my order (I hope they even will). I want to see if they offer any other phones or if I'd be stuck with this one.

Another tidbit of info: I'm due for my new phone but I've been waiting for the iPhone. I don't think that's happening so I wouldn't really mind getting a new phone now but at the same time I'd feel a bit rushed because I don't know if I want to stick with the Blackberry (which I THINK I do) or switch to Andriod. Do I just take that 40 bux I was going to use for the global phone and get a new one that has global capabilities? Am i freaking out for no reason? lol

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated : )
    06-02-10 12:28 AM
    Just get a Tour for now, has a Camera and its cheap since VZW wants to clear them out for the 9650 then once you come back, return it within the 30 days and get the device you want.
    06-02-10 12:38 AM
    If you are getting a global loaner phone, the 8830 is the phone you get. It's a loaner phone. If you want a phone with the features you want. Buy one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 12:46 AM
    Should this 9650 phone be out in the next month? If it's not...and I return the Tour and stick with my Curve until it does come out...what happens with my upgrade status and contract?
    06-02-10 12:48 AM
    Should this 9650 phone be out in the next month? If it's not...and I return the Tour and stick with my Curve until it does come out...what happens with my upgrade status and contract?
    They're hoping it will be out this week, If you get a new Tour from Verizon now; you use your upgrade on the Tour and your contract is extended for two years.
    If you return from Europe within your 30 days, then you can get the 9650, which will hopefully be out by then.
    06-02-10 12:57 AM
    ^ Awesome...thanks for your help. I just hope they cancel my order. She said it's going to ship tomorrow from Texas and since I'll be calling at 6am from New York I should be able to stop that from happening.
    06-02-10 01:06 AM
    They're hoping it will be out this week, If you get a new Tour from Verizon now; you use your upgrade on the Tour and your contract is extended for two years.
    If you return from Europe within your 30 days, then you can get the 9650, which will hopefully be out by then.
    This is probably your best options, BUT could be derailed if the 9650 does NOT come out on June 10th as expected (leaked info suggested), or you are not back with in the 30 days. Also there will likely be a 35 dollar restocking fee to return the 9630.
    06-02-10 08:31 AM
    Back to your original issue - while the 8830 does NOT have a camera, it was a perfect phone last summer for 3 weeks in Europe, mostly the Dolomites but also, Austria and Germany with a brief touchdown in Amsterdam. Did tons of email for 3 people, weather checks and other browsing. Only a few phone calls.

But even if it had a camera, using its internal memory would be quite limited and shipping 1-3megabyte pictures via email would be pretty slow and tedious. So no matter which phone you get, an sd card would really be necessary.
    06-02-10 08:49 AM
    Spoke with Verizon and cancelled my order. The Bold will be available online tomorrow so I think I'll get that instead of the Tour? Does anyone know what the main differences will be? Basically what I want to know is...is it worth the extra dough for the Bold? If so, then I'll definitely get it.
    06-02-10 08:50 AM
    Also, is Verizon.com usually good with shipping (I've only purchased from stores before)? If I place an order for overnight shipping tomorrow will I DEFINITELY get it by the time I leave on Sunday?
    06-02-10 09:04 AM
    If you ordered before 4PM it will arrive the next day. If not, the day after. So for example, in your case, if you order it before 4PM today you should receive it tomorrow. If not, you'll receive it Friday. I don't think overnight delievers on Saturday.
    06-02-10 09:20 AM
    Spoke with Verizon and cancelled my order. The Bold will be available online tomorrow so I think I'll get that instead of the Tour? Does anyone know what the main differences will be? Basically what I want to know is...is it worth the extra dough for the Bold? If so, then I'll definitely get it.
    The major differences are:

-Trackpad instead of a trackball (no mechanical parts to fail)
    -WiFi...big bonus!
    -A lot more memory (which means a faster phone and more space for apps)

I think it's worth 50 bucks. The Tour is on the EOL (end of life) list...so I wouldn't pick up a phone that is being discontinued.
    06-02-10 09:22 AM
    Last question...Anyone know what time they usually go on sale? 12am? I asked the customer service rep but she didn't know.

Thanks all for the help.
    06-02-10 10:27 AM
    Are you sure it's immediate shipping tomorrow and not a presale with shipping for arrival around the 10th?
    06-02-10 11:58 AM
    Are you sure it's immediate shipping tomorrow and not a presale with shipping for arrival around the 10th?
    No, he can order it by 06/03 and receive it next day online. The stores won't have it until 06/10.

Welcome To Verizon Wireless
    06-02-10 12:04 PM
    The customer service rep said that the overnight shipping depends on how many people purchase the phone because that would determine how fast they get to my order. She said it will tell me prior to purchasing when it would ship. If it's not going out tomorrow, I'll just get the Tour for 30 days. That's why I was curious about timing...just so I could try to be one of the first ones to buy it. Fedex doesn't deliver on Saturdays so whatever phone I buy has to be shipped out tomorrow.
    06-02-10 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD