I live in zip code 30417. It is part of Alltel country, but is becoming Verizon. My service is extremely sketchy...i have posted about this before.

I got a call this morning from the nearest Verizon store...about 25 minutes from my house. I filled out an online survey on vzw.com about my service. Nothing negative, just the facts. The manager let me know he got the survey and said they would like to manually install a PRL that looks for Alltel towers first before VZW towers. He said they do it on case by case basis for customers in my area. I think it is basically by request. From all accounts it has worked for other customers.

As I'm typing he called back and said they do not have the BB PRL (I didn't think that mattered). Any way he is getting it ASAP and will call me once he can get it sent from another store. He also said to expect late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter this year before the switch is official in this area.

At any rate, I am pleased that VZW is making an attempt to solve my problem.

Has anyone else had this done? If so, did it help?
    06-22-09 08:29 AM
    bump...any feedback on this. Anyone know anything? I'm still waiting to hear back from the store manager.
    06-23-09 05:38 AM
    I've heard something about hybrid PRLs coming soon to a theatre near you, but no specifics I can recall. Will hunt for an alltel tower first before you jump onto VZW for some areas.
    06-23-09 08:21 AM
    It would be nice of you to post the prl file for others when you do get it.

forkup
    06-23-09 05:24 PM
    I just got off the phone with VZW. The lady at technical support checked and saw that my area was eligible for the hybrid PRL. They have to put your number in a database and the PRL is automatically pushed to your phone. She said it could take 24-48 hours for it to show up.

Basically it will force my phone to recognize the Alltel towers as home. She said to expect to get the roaming triangle...although I have not seen it much where I am at. If I do a manual *228 it will overide the hybrid. Once the towers are switched over in my area (about 4 months according to some) I won't miss a lick.

Here's hoping for a good outcome. I will report back.

BTW...the people I spoke with were very nice/helpful/pleasant...good job so far VZW.
    07-07-09 02:14 PM
    I will admit I was skeptical, but the PRL that Verizon pushed to me works great!!!

My PRL is now 65025.

I get full 1XEV signal all over my house and out on the roads around my house where I had no signal. I did not drop a call today for the first time in months (since January). Thanks VZW!
    07-08-09 09:41 PM
    Ok, I'm somewhat encouraged by this news! So, at some point, the PRL in your phone just changed, with no need to reset, turn it off, battery pull, nothing?

This is my first BB, though I have a G1 as well. Any changes to that one require a restart, so I as skeptical that the pushed PRL would just show up, but I feel better about the possibilities now.

Keeping my fingers crossed . . .
    07-30-09 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD