It seems like every day, I get questions about some phone or whatever - lately, it seems like the most common is...

WHEN IS VZW GETTING MORE HTC TOUCH PRO 2s?

This is either another major VZW screwup OR a huge RIM payoff. While it was available, the daily sales rate was over twice that of the top selling BlackBerry.

I don't care, as I have mine. But it sure would be nice if people went back to making comments about dropped calls, their bills or whatever.
    10-16-09 07:55 PM
    I truly believe in my heart of hearts that VZW didnt believe that this phone would sell as well as it did.
    It has WM, which people shy away from just from the name, and it had a price point 50 dollars higher than the premier bb that also had a bogo on it.

I was also told this phone is not planned on being sold in stores at all, a la the samsung saga, so I think they believed they could get away with having a limited stock.

With the imagio coming to stores soon, and the storm 2 release date coming literally any day now, I think part of it is VZW hoping that the tp2, will be an afterthought.

Its funny, I follow a lot of your posts, and one of them said, that people are going to stop blindly following one company, as soon as another makes them. Color me surprised that windows mobile would do that to bb.

Even with the bogo going strong, people still want quality, not the newest version of a phone they bought in 2005.

Rim, has to step up, and this storm 2 release wont be it. They are already losing pub to the imagio, vzw is switching dance partners(going with google) hoping to make the prom queen(apple) jealous, and wm is finally getting it.

Should be an interesting 6 months to see what comes down the pipe.
    10-16-09 08:10 PM
    I honestly think VZW jumped in bed with RIM as a direct counter to the iPhone. No matter what anyone thinks to the contrary, the iPhone is the 800 pound gorilla that has to be contended with. They don't need something that fails at trying to be an iPhone, like Storm - VZW needs something that beats iPhone.

Imagio does just that, while RIM, as you mentioned, continues to put more lipstick on that 2005 pig. In 2005, that pig took home Grand Champion from the State Fair, but near the end of 2009, that pig is beginning to look like a wrinkled old sow. Major releases are less momentous than other OS's point releases - BlackBerry 5.0 is no exception.

The BlackBerry OS can't handle either capacitive nor resistive touch interfaces, so RIM will put forth an update on their clunky hybrid on the Storm.

What isn't being mentioned by VZW is the TP2 had the best day to day sales figures of any VZW smartphone. Storm didn't beat it, and Storm beat Tour. Its pretty bad when the old 83XX Curve is still one of, the best selling BlackBerrys VZW has after two years. The original Tilt & TYTNII, on AT&T, are still remembered fondly by many - you'd think VZW would have had a clue.

I use my TP2 daily. It and my Imagio continue to garner far more favorable comments than do any of ny BlackBerrys or iPhone. And both give me fewer headaches than the BlackBerrys. My biggest complaint is that MS somehow missed putting a landscape mode into the new IE browser, but Opera & Skyfire do well for widescreen viewing.

Had lunch today with one of the principals of the local Basha's Supermarket chain. He has a Curve. He said he'd heard of the TP2 - I let him play with mine & he wants to buy one for each member of his immediate family. His words were, "this thing makes my phone seem like crap - I want it."

And the ensuing conversation is what prompted this thread.

A cool thing about the TP2 is I can view the VZW site on it, just like you do on your computer at home. It comes up quickly & properly formatted & I was able to check the site for TP2 availability at the table. Try that on a BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-09 09:04 PM
    The Tour was out of stock the first day. I'll bet the S2 sells out the first day. In fact, I'm thinking about getting an S2 and giving the Tour to my better half. For every 12 phones I notice, I see 9 BBerys, 2 windows mobile and 1 iphone.

Anyway what I see on street means nothing. Conversly as stated succintly in another thread quantity means nothing either.
    10-16-09 10:14 PM
    Quantity does mean something when there isn't enough to satisfy demand.

And no - Tour did NOT sell out - in fact, VZW guaranteed it would be in stock, period.

10-16-09 10:19 PM
    We'll it may not have sold out, but it wasn't available in three corporate stores I went to. So out of stock may not necessarily mean sold out.
    10-16-09 10:25 PM
    I think the guarantee was for online purchases. But that makes it even more incredible with the HTC because it had no store exposure and no advertising. It was there and it sold out. Compare that with the hoopla over the tour and you can get an idea as to how pop that HTC is.
    10-17-09 01:07 AM
    You're right there was a lot of hoopla over the tour before it came out. All of it viral.

10-17-09 07:03 AM
    The tp2 is a great phone and i feel that windows mobile has come along way from what they used to be. I'm still a little dissapointed in the stabability of winmo. I can easily overpower it and it needs a reset every other day or so my tour could usually go most of the week. I think its time to give android a shot

10-17-09 08:38 AM
    You're right there was a lot of hoopla over the tour before it came out. All of it viral.

And then those viral users mostly got bad trackballs, and screen ripples,and loose battery doors.

Honestly, BB just keeps falling on its own face.

The worst part, they are a great company that could do better. They could make a phone that could compete easily with WM, and Android, and people like saying they have a bb as much as they like saying they have an iphone.

Once again, it comes down to bb willingness to finally make a groundbreaking project, instead of gimmicks that arent valid anymore.

Appworld is not advertised for anything, and it is a distinct competitor to what makes the iphone unique. People dont want email, they want fun, and until bb can honor that claim, you are going to see a lot more phones on the consumer market pass it by.
    10-17-09 08:46 AM
    Out in the real world people are happy with their Tours and other BBerys. As an iphone all BBerys stink. As a business tool they rule. You can find 100 people that love something and 100 people that hate the sane thing.

10-17-09 09:16 AM
    People keep talking about the instability of Win Mo; please
    explain. What I remember about Win Mo; if u clean your memory
    on your phone no problem. The equivalent of a battery pull for
    the BB.
    I didi notice on VZW website that they removed the out of stock
    on the TP2.
    Oh and someone forgot to mention the Samsung Omnia II
    I know you are not a big fan of Droid Twin; but the Sholes
    looks impressive as far as screen size and resolution; the keyboard
    and that touch direction pad looks kinda funky.
    I think the Storm 2 will do well but there is a lot of competition.
    10-17-09 10:14 AM
    if I have opera, outlook, google maps, and palringo open i can count on the phone to freeze up especially when using opera. I had 25 apps open on my tour one time and it was still chugging along lol. As soon as hardspl comes out for cdma tp2 im putting 6.5 on

10-17-09 10:41 AM
    You added the "before it came out" part.

I've received about a dozen VZW mail flyers, numerous RIM notifications & some third-party bits, all highlighting Tour. None regarding TP2.

TP2 was limited to information on the HTC site, HTC magazine ads and reviews of GSM devices that came out prior.

You see, much of the world lives in reality, while BlackBerry lives in a fantasy world of hope & change - we see how well that works.

And sprke81, WM6.5 should fix what ails you.

10-17-09 12:17 PM
    People keep talking about the instability of Win Mo; please
    explain. What I remember about Win Mo; if u clean your memory
    on your phone no problem. The equivalent of a battery pull for
    the BB.
    I didi notice on VZW website that they removed the out of stock
    on the TP2.
    Oh and someone forgot to mention the Samsung Omnia II
    I know you are not a big fan of Droid Twin; but the Sholes
    looks impressive as far as screen size and resolution; the keyboard
    and that touch direction pad looks kinda funky.
    I think the Storm 2 will do well but there is a lot of competition.
    Still shows Out of Stock...

I have no interest in Sholes - Moto lost my support years ago - and the protos are no different. However, your mileage may vary.
    10-17-09 12:30 PM
    Still shows Out of Stock...

I have no interest in Sholes - Moto lost my support years ago - and the protos are no different. However, your mileage may vary.
    I figured you probably didn't have any intrest in the Sholes and I know you're not sold on Droid yet. Just thought I would throw it in there.
    This is an article it is about the O2 but I am linking it because of the VZW
    Win Mo commercials; pretty cool commercials.
    Just scroll down a bit

Samsung Omnia II Comes To Verizon - Pocket PC Live!
    10-17-09 12:45 PM
    I read somewhere that VZ or HTC is holding up the show on the new shipment of tp2 because they want 6.5 loaded on them. Another rumor/speculation is that there is a radio problem that HTC is working on. i havent had any problems with signal but I guess some people are.

10-17-09 01:04 PM
    I think it has to do with the transition from 6.1 to 6.5 actually.

This phone was only available online and not in stores because they wanted to wait till they had 6.5 loaded before selling it in store. That's what I was told by a store rep.

So once the transition is complete and they have 6.5 on all the phones I think it will be back to normal.
    10-17-09 01:05 PM
    I figured you probably didn't have any intrest in the Sholes and I know you're not sold on Droid yet. Just thought I would throw it in there.
    This is an article it is about the O2 but I am linking it because of the VZW
    Win Mo commercials; pretty cool commercials.
    Just scroll down a bit

Samsung Omnia II Comes To Verizon - Pocket PC Live!
    It isn't that I am not sold on Android - I am not impressed with Google's abilities in getting a finished product out there - everything is continually in beta release, which allows them to justify their monitoring of all you do. Then there is the concern I've mentioned ad-nauseum about trusting Google.

Android looks okay - far better than BlackBerry, but not as good as Linux or WM7.

And, in my eyes, Moto quality, while better than BlackBerry of late, is still subpar.
    10-17-09 01:24 PM
    I was in a Authorized Reseller yesterday picking up an OtterBox defender case and there was a woman in the store purchasing an HTC Touch Pro 2 because the Corporate Store was out of them.
    10-17-09 02:51 PM
    I think it has to do with the transition from 6.1 to 6.5 actually.

This phone was only available online and not in stores because they wanted to wait till they had 6.5 loaded before selling it in store. That's what I was told by a store rep.

So once the transition is complete and they have 6.5 on all the phones I think it will be back to normal.

Another nonsense statement followed up with "thats what a VZ rep told me"
    10-17-09 03:29 PM
    I put in my order early. I am so glad I did.

Another nonsense statement followed up with "thats what a VZ rep told me"
    That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard on a forum. Its like anyone would think the people using that tired phrase would actually believe it. HEY LOOK! I AM A VERIZON REP INCOGNITO!
    10-18-09 06:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD