Hello,

A little device history first. I had a Curve 8330 for a good 2.5+ years. Loved that thing (it truly was a work horse). I upgraded last April to the Storm 2 and really, really loved it. Slowly, I've been having some little issues with it lagging, randomly rebooting, etc. In my opinion, they are minor. Well I updated the OS a couple weeks ago and noticed that the phone started acting very strange (it would throw up these random errors constantly, even when I wasn't using the phone). On New Year's Eve, I was checking my voicemail, the phone got "stuck." The message I was listening to started to almost stutter, like a CD skipping (If the person said "Hey" in their message, it sounded like "Hey-he-he-he-he-he-he"). Then my BB restarted. After that, I could only sometimes make calls, get texts/emails, BBMs, etc. I got home and tried hooking it up to my Mac to reinstall the OS and the computer won't recognize the device. Luckily for me, a friend offered to give me her Tour a couple of months ago so I was able to activate that for the time being (I do freelance marketing work/consulting on the side, in addition to my 9-5 grind so it's very important that I have a working device).

I figured I could use this Tour for the time being and take advantage of Verizon's 1 year upgrade program in April (I've never done this before because my phone easily last the 2 years because I baby them so much). I just saw online this morning that there are rumors that Verizon is doing away with the 1 year upgrade.

My question is this:

1) Is there any truth to the rumors?

2) If it is true that the annual upgrade program is done: If I add another line onto my Family plan, can I get a new smartphone, deactivate it (and reactivate a dumb phone) and use the new smartphone? I don't see this BB lasting until December when my standard upgrade is due (it might though).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    01-08-11 09:44 AM
    Sorry for the double post. I just read that the annual upgrade will be "grandfathered" in if you are already eligible. As long as that's the case, I have nothing to worry about. I can upgrade in April and carry on.

Moderators, feel free to delete this post!

Thanks!
    01-08-11 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD