01-19-10 12:56 PM
71 123
tools
    So I've read through this thread and I'm still confused. When LTE is rolled out on VZW and I get a new LTE device - be it BB or other - will I be able to use data and voice at the same time?

It sounds y'all are saying that LTE will be for data and 1xRTT will be for voice. Does that mean that you can do this simultaneously?

What about later? Will LTE be used for voice and data and will that be simultaneous?
    Either way, there will be simultaneous operation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 12:10 AM
    It is my understanding that evdo precludes the use of 1xrtt so when you are using a 1xrtt connection you cannot use evdo and vice versa. With lte this won't be the case. Both will be available at the same time or if needed lte will handle both voice and data.

06-19-09 09:02 AM
    see, that's what i was told. LTE will eventually house both voice AND data, it'll just be a partition in the bandwidth. part for voice (using VoIP, basically) and then the rest for data.

but from what i've heard/seen lately, it seems like the 1X will be around for awhile, same with EVDO...so they'll slowly phase out EVDO, then 1X later on...

but your connections will be determined based on your hardware.
    06-19-09 01:48 PM
    see, that's what i was told. LTE will eventually house both voice AND data, it'll just be a partition in the bandwidth. part for voice (using VoIP, basically) and then the rest for data.

but from what i've heard/seen lately, it seems like the 1X will be around for awhile, same with EVDO...so they'll slowly phase out EVDO, then 1X later on...

but your connections will be determined based on your hardware.
    Maybe this will help.

LTE is fully replacing EVDO. But just like EVDO did not replace 1xRTT, neither will LTE replace it.

Think of 1xRTT as a backup, at the very least, and a main voice protocol, at most.

EVDO is scheduled to sunset, as soon as VZW has its network converted - some say 2013, others say 2014 or 2015. I see early 2014, as it will be expensive to maintain two high-speed data networks. There is no scheduled shutdown of 1xRTT, as it is reliable, costs virtually nothing to maintain/operation, plays well with other technologies and is already everywhere. I have heard VZW actually has tentative plans to see it in operation beyond 2025.

As of right now, Sprint is planning on maintaining their legacy network (through Ericsson), as will AT&T. It is there, it is paid for and it will further reduce load on the network & give some relief to backhaul.

Redundancy is a good thing. With 1xRTT still around, if the LTE network suffers a blow, you will still have voice and maybe limited data (programming/load dependent). If something happens to 1xRTT, the LTE side will be available to pick up the slack - seamlessly, even.

When you think about it, the only time you need to speed up voice is when you want to sound like Alvin & the rest of the Chipmunks.

06-19-09 06:34 PM
    How are they ( VZ) going to get the speeds out to rural sites especially thinking of MT and WY when they convert those to LTE. Right now EVDO is as fast as DSL connections are in my small rural town. So how how are they going to get the faster backhaul in my town and out to all the rural sites?
    06-19-09 07:30 PM
    How are they ( VZ) going to get the speeds out to rural sites especially thinking of MT and WY when they convert those to LTE. Right now EVDO is as fast as DSL connections are in my small rural town. So how how are they going to get the faster backhaul in my town and out to all the rural sites?
    well LTE will just enhance the speeds there. and it seems like DSL is pretty slow if it's as "fast" as Rev. A. it's fast for a phone, but for a tethering connection, idk...maybe i'm spoiled with lots of bandwidth...
    06-19-09 08:11 PM
    You need to remember that VZW picked up licenses that cover most of the US, with the idea of running it as LTE. So there are large portions of real estate that will be added. It will be more facilities - not simply upgrades to current infrastructure.

They will be able to make a good business case for rural areas, because it won't just be mobile phones. They will be looking to compete with DSL, CATV & fiber, which means more business, even in your area.

I foresee a tower in your living room. Move the television set, while you still can.

At least initially, they won't be able to top my fiber speeds, so I probably won't convert for awhile, if at all. There are some fiber enhancements coming that might keep it ahead in many areas.

06-19-09 09:05 PM
    From what I've seen, no - no SIM cards. They are a huge security risk and not needed for LTE.

How so? I've used simcard phones most of my life and not had security issues?

sim card phones allow the user to control..cdma allows the courier to control

but to be honest I don't care what network verizon use as long as they have better phone choice and possibly the iphone
    Last edited by just txt and calls mam; 06-19-09 at 10:38 PM.
    06-19-09 10:35 PM
    I thought it was reported that vzw had picked a supplier for sim cards as they were going to be needed. It was reported somewhere on here i thought.
    06-19-09 10:43 PM
    I thought it was reported that vzw had picked a supplier for sim cards as they were going to be needed. It was reported somewhere on here i thought.
    At the time of that quoted post, there were no SIMs. Since then, VZW did decide to go with SIMs.

GSM SIMs are easy to clone. LTE SIMs promise to be much more secure. Where the big issue is, is in device theft. Without SIMs, steal a phone, the ESN gets flagged & the device is worthless. With SIMs, steal a nice & shiny phone, pop in a new SIM card & off you go.

It is still unclear if any measures are taken to keep this from happening. As far as I know, only locking the phone to a SIM or carrier would or could accomplish this.

It should become clearer in the near future.

06-19-09 11:14 PM
    Thanks for the explanation twins

I couldn't help but notice that you are in fact on verizon a non sim company so could I ask where you got your info from?

In the U.K. sims are the only mode of phone being gsm and sim cloning is not easy nor is it widespread as claimed, infact since giving up my beeper to get a mobile I have yet to meet or have any other gsm user who has had a sim cloaned so you can understand my puzzlement

actually wether your phone is on contract or pay as you go if you notify your carrier that it's been locked/stolen then from the imei they can block the phone within minutes

in fact in 2002 the british goverment brought in an act for this exact purpose

Mobile Phone Barring Database Launched

So when they block it, it cannot be used anywhere in the U.K. what so ever
    06-20-09 09:02 AM
    I often wondered how that is going to work out for them.

I mean. Every call and data transmission, through the 700 spectrum.

With everyone add call or data, the line will get slower and slower.
    06-20-09 09:57 AM
    Might as well bump this too
    10-05-09 03:02 PM
    The bandwidth of LTE is large enough to handle all voice and data as it is today about two or three times over. I don't see this being a problem.

10-05-09 03:05 PM
    I didnt see this asked in the 5 pages I've read so far...What is this going to do for signal? Increase any??
    10-05-09 03:37 PM
    Its on a 700mHz frequency so that means a few things

Stronger signal.
    Better building penetration
    Better battery life (maybe)
    Less towers needed

10-05-09 03:42 PM
    I'm on vz. I've been reading how excited some seem to be about the demise of tmo sprint and the crushing defeat of att. I hope and I think all of us should hope that is nothing more than vz fanbois pounding their chests. Competition is the only thing that keeps innovation coming and prices in check. Even though unlikely imagine vz as the only choice for service.

10-05-09 04:16 PM
    Bump..............
    I keep this one handy a good read............
    10-27-09 11:33 PM
    Bump again...

Any new info?
    12-28-09 08:59 PM
    From what I've seen, no - no SIM cards. They are a huge security risk and not needed for LTE.

Huh?
    01-19-10 12:44 PM
    Huh?
    Yep this was brought to Twins attention in another thread long ago. He even commented on it. Old news.
    01-19-10 12:56 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD