01-19-10 01:56 PM
71 123
tools
    bump...............
    04-23-09 04:05 PM
    bump...............
    A bumping fool this afternoon, aren't we?

Allow me to further assist you with this post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 07:11 PM
    I thought that lte for verizon was already semi being tested in like Chicago or something?

I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere
    04-25-09 03:35 AM
    Yes there is a test area. There are no devices in that area avail to customers though
    04-25-09 08:33 AM
    dont forget about the 700mHz spectrum too!
    04-28-09 12:21 AM
    Same with this one.
    Since folks are coming and asking about LTE and all just thought I would bump.
    Its informative should be a sticky and closed
    05-01-09 12:52 AM
    Found this today on phonescoop. guess reality of LTE is coming.

Verizon: LTE in 20-30 Markets by 2010, Android On the Way
    Today, 12:57 PM by Eric M. Zeman

Speaking at an investor conference, Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam provided more details about its planned launch of Long Term Evolution. He said the company will have 20 to 30 markets running LTE at 8-12Mbps by 2010, and it should have the entire U.S. covered by the end of 2013. McAdam also said that Verizon has far more spectrum for its LTE network compared to competitor AT&T, which McAdam says will translate directly to a major speed advantage for Verizon. He commented, "We will have double the spectrum depth in most markets, and the physics is that the ceiling for their network will be the floor for our network when it comes to speeds ... when we get to 4G, there will be no question [who is the fastest.]" McAdam also also said that the company is planning to offer a device running Google's Android platform. He noted, "we've had some very good dialogs with Google, we like what we see and we will in fact be bringing Android devices to the marketplace in the near future."
    05-28-09 06:10 PM
    Found this today on phonescoop. guess reality of LTE is coming.

Verizon: LTE in 20-30 Markets by 2010, Android On the Way
    Today, 12:57 PM by Eric M. Zeman

Speaking at an investor conference, Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam provided more details about its planned launch of Long Term Evolution. He said the company will have 20 to 30 markets running LTE at 8-12Mbps by 2010, and it should have the entire U.S. covered by the end of 2013. McAdam also said that Verizon has far more spectrum for its LTE network compared to competitor AT&T, which McAdam says will translate directly to a major speed advantage for Verizon. He commented, "We will have double the spectrum depth in most markets, and the physics is that the ceiling for their network will be the floor for our network when it comes to speeds ... when we get to 4G, there will be no question [who is the fastest.]" McAdam also also said that the company is planning to offer a device running Google's Android platform. He noted, "we've had some very good dialogs with Google, we like what we see and we will in fact be bringing Android devices to the marketplace in the near future."
    nice this is a good find thanks!!
    05-28-09 06:14 PM
    And Lowell speaks truth on this.

VZW network speed & capacity will absolutely crush AT&T. It will humiliate Sprint's WiMAX & may leave T-Mobile for dead.

The speed he quotes is mobile speed at rollout - as the network is completed, we will see 2-4X that and even higher for stationary installs.

A little secret - those markets opening with LTE - the cell sites have already been mostly retrofitted.

This thing is going to rock.

The interesting thing is, LTE isn't intended primarily to be a cell system replacement. It is designed to be a mobile/office/home solution. Possibly one account that includes your broadband, local line, mobile lines and possibly even a CATV replacement (eventually).

And VZW's bandwidth allotment is roughly equal to double that of AT&T, the second largest holder of bandwidth.

05-28-09 07:20 PM
    And Lowell speaks truth on this.

VZW network speed & capacity will absolutely crush AT&T. It will humiliate Sprint's WiMAX & may leave T-Mobile for dead.

The speed he quotes is mobile speed at rollout - as the network is completed, we will see 2-4X that and even higher for stationary installs.

A little secret - those markets opening with LTE - the cell sites have already been mostly retrofitted.

This thing is going to rock.

The interesting thing is, LTE isn't intended primarily to be a cell system replacement. It is designed to be a mobile/office/home solution. Possibly one account that includes your broadband, local line, mobile lines and possibly even a CATV replacement (eventually).

And VZW's bandwidth allotment is roughly equal to double that of AT&T, the second largest holder of bandwidth.

That is really cool, I can't wait for it, and if they expand it into other areas it will be a huge benefit for people in rural areas such as myself that don't have alot of choice for home broadband and TV options.
    05-28-09 07:58 PM
    Will LTE and CDMA on VZW allow for simultaneos voice and data downloads? (similar to what one can do on ATT 3G with the Bold?
    05-28-09 08:09 PM
    From what I hear yes for LTE and no for CDMA as a stand alone technology. From what I have read, LTE will be used for data first not so much for voice.
    05-28-09 08:12 PM
    I was understanding that LTE will be for data and VZW will continue to use CDMA for voice on their new phones (once LTE is rolled out).
    So will I be able to receive emails and update my calendar (LTE) while speaking on the phone (cdma)?
    I realize that I'm asking for some speculation because there isn't a BB with LTE yet.
    05-28-09 08:25 PM
    Has there been any rumor or speculation as to what markets were going to get the initial rollout?
    05-28-09 08:30 PM
    Not that we are aware of. I am sure it roll out to medium-large or large city areas first.
    05-28-09 08:56 PM
    Last thanks for the update..............
    Twin thanks for expounding.
    05-29-09 01:26 AM
    I wonder where it is already retrofitted in which citys.
    05-29-09 03:27 AM
    From what I hear yes for LTE and no for CDMA as a stand alone technology. From what I have read, LTE will be used for data first not so much for voice.
    CDMA will be going away - probably within 3-5 years - except for Sprint.

Voice will continue to be carried primarily on 1xRTT.

As far as which markets are first, the info is not allowed yet for public release.

05-29-09 04:28 AM
    CDMA will be going away - probably within 3-5 years - except for Sprint.
    You really think that soon? Overall this would make sence, but I base it off how long the analog network stayed around after 1XRTT and EVDO was released.

Although the analog network shut down may have happened sooner, but from what I was told was dictated by the FCC to be active for as long as it was, not sure that CDMA falls under the same criteria.
    05-29-09 08:36 AM
    Its not what I think - it is based on what folks like Lowell McAdam have said. VZW has made it pretty clear they want to be all LTE as soon as it is feasible. The LTE rollout is much more aggressive than CDMA was - it took most carriers 7-10 years to go from AMPS to digital.

AMPS stayed around for so long because it was once the only game in town. On the AMPS changeover, they had to get all customers into digital - some rural customers were slow to change because AMPS was often the only service in their area. Now North America is digital, so switching over to LTE is easy, especially considering voice will be staying on the tried & true 1xRTT protocol. Dumbphone users will not need to switch phones to maintain their service - only those who use data might need to. Rural customers won't be left out in the cold, since their voice service will remain the same.

05-29-09 10:11 AM
    Its not what I think - it is based on what folks like Lowell McAdam have said. VZW has made it pretty clear they want to be all LTE as soon as it is feasible. The LTE rollout is much more aggressive than CDMA was - it took most carriers 7-10 years to go from AMPS to digital.

AMPS stayed around for so long because it was once the only game in town. On the AMPS changeover, they had to get all customers into digital - some rural customers were slow to change because AMPS was often the only service in their area. Now North America is digital, so switching over to LTE is easy, especially considering voice will be staying on the tried & true 1xRTT protocol. Dumbphone users will not need to switch phones to maintain their service - only those who use data might need to. Rural customers won't be left out in the cold, since their voice service will remain the same.

I think one thing from Mike also stated that they would leave the current system up for at least a decade and possible even offer 3g speeds at a lower cost.

Ill try and find the post on it so you can see it. Not sure if it was changed.
    05-29-09 06:45 PM

- I think the reason it took so long for customers to switch over was a lifestyle change. Nowadays where people are constantly craving new technology for work, personal use & because the cell phone has become somewhat of a status symbol, people don't think twice about buying the new technology. Quite the contrary, they are urgent to. Back under the switch from AMPS to digital, the general thought was - "This phone works fine. Why should I pay to buy a new one because you want to change your towers?"

- Stupid question - does the fact that so much data won't be on the 3G networks mean that those who aren't on smartphones get better reception and fewer dropped calls than at current?
    05-29-09 07:42 PM
    I think one thing from Mike also stated that they would leave the current system up for at least a decade and possible even offer 3g speeds at a lower cost.

Ill try and find the post on it so you can see it. Not sure if it was changed.
    Verizon Says Goodbye to EV-DO
    - I think the reason it took so long for customers to switch over was a lifestyle change. Nowadays where people are constantly craving new technology for work, personal use & because the cell phone has become somewhat of a status symbol, people don't think twice about buying the new technology. Quite the contrary, they are urgent to. Back under the switch from AMPS to digital, the general thought was - "This phone works fine. Why should I pay to buy a new one because you want to change your towers?"
    The reality was, many people weren't willing to give up the much larger footprint of AMPS. Dual-mode phones helped the transition, until the digital network was roughly equal to the AMPS network - then the process of decommissioning AMPS became a reality.
    Stupid question - does the fact that so much data won't be on the 3G networks mean that those who aren't on smartphones get better reception and fewer dropped calls than at current?
    No, because most of the voice traffic is still on the 1xRTT 2G network. And from the link above, it is clear that once the LTE footprint is roughly the size of the EVDO network, it too will be gone.

I've seen documents calling for the planned start of the demise of EVDO to be early 2013.

05-29-09 10:00 PM

No, because most of the voice traffic is still on the 1xRTT 2G network. And from the link above, it is clear that once the LTE footprint is roughly the size of the EVDO network, it too will be gone.

I've seen documents calling for the planned start of the demise of EVDO to be early 2013.

I thought 1xRTT was actually 2.5 (or 2.75) and more of a 3G technology at higher signals than a true 2G... But ran at the 2G bandwith to increase signal???

Did I get confused reading things?

Anyway... my question... Does VZW intend to build phones with both LTE and CDMA capabilities then? As LTE is actually totally different according (once again) to most things I've read.

---Not to sound like an idi0t I'm just fascinated by wireless technology for some bizzare reason!
    Last edited by angelalynn79; 05-29-09 at 11:21 PM. Reason: very weird that IDI0T is blocked but DAMMIT isnt!!!
    05-29-09 11:14 PM
    So I've read through this thread and I'm still confused. When LTE is rolled out on VZW and I get a new LTE device - be it BB or other - will I be able to use data and voice at the same time?

It sounds y'all are saying that LTE will be for data and 1xRTT will be for voice. Does that mean that you can do this simultaneously?

What about later? Will LTE be used for voice and data and will that be simultaneous?
    06-19-09 12:42 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD