So Verizon is rolling out "LTE" or 4g in 2010. Is this going to kill our CDMA headsets? Is LTE going to run on Verizon's CDMA network or a GSM network, or a hybrid type of a network.
    07-05-09 08:03 AM
    So Verizon is rolling out "LTE" or 4g in 2010. Is this going to kill our CDMA headsets? Is LTE going to run on Verizon's CDMA network or a GSM network, or a hybrid type of a network.
    Yes, LTE will kill our CDMA phones.

Eventually.

It's doubtful that VZW will turn off 1X/EvDO for at least another decade . . . just look at how long Analog service stayed around after digital service was introduced.

By the time LTE is the only option, your handheld device will be so technologically decrepit that you might as well be carrying a bag phone
    07-05-09 08:27 AM
    Verizon's plan is to keep 1x for voice and start using LTE just for data. Around 2010 I'd guess we will see hybrid phones. 1x and EVDO aren't going anywhere for a very long time though. They'll keep all of it on their network, since LTE will operate on a different band anyway.
    07-05-09 03:02 PM
    Analog? Bag phone? Geez. Such memories.
    07-05-09 03:24 PM
    GSM - one transmission technology (mid-20th Century technology)
    CDMA - another technology (mid-1990s technology)
    LTE - yet another technology (early 20th Century)

Does CDMA run on GSM? No, it doesn't. So why do people keep asking if (or claiming that) LTE runs on GSM or CDMA?

Depending on which roadmap you're looking at, VZW is currently looking at a complete shutdown of CDMA between 2013 and, at the latest, 2015. Sometime mid-2014 seems the most likely.

AT&T is pouring their money mostly into HSPA, with LTE secondary - without HSPA, they wlll not be able to compete with the sheer bandwidth advantage that VZW's LTE network will enjoy.

First LTE device is coming soon, but it won't be a BlackBerry. We may not see an LTE BlackBerry for awhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 03:34 PM
    GSM - one transmission technology (mid-20th Century technology)
    CDMA - another technology (mid-1990s technology)

Does CDMA run on GSM? No, it doesn't. So why do people keep asking if (or claiming that) LTE runs on GSM or CDMA?

Depending on which roadmap you're looking at, VZW is currently looking at a complete shutdown of CDMA between 2013 and, at the latest, 2015. Sometime mid-2014 seems the most likely.

AT&T is pouring their money mostly into HSPA, with LTE secondary - without HSPA, they wlll not be able to compete with the sheer bandwidth advantage that VZW's LTE network will enjoy.

First LTE device is coming soon, but it won't be a BlackBerry. We may not see an LTE BlackBerry for awhile.

Hmm interesting. You would think that a Blackberry or some sort of smartphone would be the first device on this new technology. Considering the global and data capabilities of it.
    07-05-09 03:43 PM
    Wow, I didn't know LTE had been around that long . . . almost 100 years now?

I'm so out of touch
    07-05-09 04:33 PM
    Wow, I didn't know LTE had been around that long . . . almost 100 years now?

I'm so out of touch
    Aw crud - see what I do when posting over lunch?

21st Century. Of course, you knew what I meant.

Hmm interesting. You would think that a Blackberry or some sort of smartphone would be the first device on this new technology. Considering the global and data capabilities of it.
    Smartphones will be among the first, but BlackBerry has always been more conservative in adopting new radio technologies or adding them to their devices.

We are now hearing LTE may not come to BlackBerry until late 2010/early 2011 - but again, that is only rumor, so don't quote me on it.

07-05-09 05:17 PM
    Hey TWIN.. can you PM me your PIN or something.. would like to speak w/ you. I cant PM you
    07-05-09 05:45 PM
    I thought we did this before - I don't give out my PIN - and I can't send PMs, either.

An extension of that is I personally warned Dogs about doing that - he shared his with a few here, and one turned out to be a real nutjob woman who he couldn't get rid of.

Posted from my QuietBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 12:13 AM
    One of our 'sources' here on crackberry said LTE bb's are already being tested. How long it takes for that to translate into a new device, who knows.

07-06-09 12:31 AM
    I thought we did this before - I don't give out my PIN - and I can't send PMs, either.

An extension of that is I personally warned Dogs about doing that - he shared his with a few here, and one turned out to be a real nutjob woman who he couldn't get rid of.

Posted from my QuietBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ]

Dogs gave me his pin ... I'm not a nutjob!
    07-06-09 12:46 AM
    He isn't talking about you. It is a female from here. If it helps any, I don't even have the pin on the phone he uses most.

07-06-09 03:57 AM

Hey Twins, a few questions.

One ... you've said many times that the CDMA voice network isn't going anywhere, but according to this post, you say all of CDMA is going away within potentially 5 years. Will VZW switch everything to LTE by that time, or will the old voice network still be in use?

Two ... what will VZW do with the spectrum that is currently being used by CDMA? Will LTE expand into other bands?

Three ... why is AT&T pouring money into a technology that seems to being made obsolete? Don't you think it'd be more in their interests to start rolling out LTE?

Thanks for all your insights.
    07-06-09 11:29 AM
    Hi Eric - good questions. I will try to answer them individually.

One ... you've said many times that the CDMA voice network isn't going anywhere, but according to this post, you say all of CDMA is going away within potentially 5 years. Will VZW switch everything to LTE by that time, or will the old voice network still be in use?
    CDMA won't be going anywhere, unlike what can be read into what I wrote above - I intended to say EVDO is going away. The 1xRTT network, which is CDMA, will be staying around indefinitely - at least there is no scheduled shutdown of it. Higher-ups at VZW have confirmed this.

The reality is that LTE has not yet been proven for voice reliability. I am sure that when it is, this will be revisited, but 1xRTT is a low-cost voice protocol that is already in and costs have been amortized.
    Two ... what will VZW do with the spectrum that is currently being used by CDMA? Will LTE expand into other bands?
    It can be expanded into the existing FDD bands as well. VZW hasn't really said anything concrete, at this time, but Vodafone partnerships in other regions has stated their intention to use existing bandwidth for LTE and HSPA. We can probably expect VZW to do something similar, especially since HSPA looks to factor into their plans.

Three ... why is AT&T pouring money into a technology that seems to being made obsolete? Don't you think it'd be more in their interests to start rolling out LTE?
    HSPA/HSDPA is not obsolete - I believe AT&T had it in their plans before LTE and as a backup in case they didn't win enough of the 700MHz spectrum. AT&T is upgrading to HSPA now, which is potentially a good thing, but it still puts them behind a bit with LTE.

The things we will be seeing from VZW & AT&T will mean one thing for all of us - better/faster service. In five years, we will be debating as to which carrier's mix of LTE & HSPA is better. Right now, I believe it will be VZW, with AT&T in good enough shape to maintain a huge network advantage over the smaller carriers, like Sprint & T-Mobile. While one could put up a reasonable argument for going with Sprint or T-Mobile now, in five years, I think those carriers will service primarily local, lower-end customers.

07-06-09 01:33 PM
    Hi Twin ,

Question for you. Since LTE will eventually handle all data, and voice will remain on CDMA...will this mean we can finally transmit data (email, bbm) simultaneously while on a voice call?

Currently this is a limitation of CDMA.
    07-06-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD