05-15-09 04:10 PM
34 12
tools
    Yeah, I should have clarified that I meant "long term" past the next decade, etc. I guess that means we're looking at tri-band, dual-or-tri-mode type devices of some type in the future. My curiosity is piqued simply because challenges that may or may not exist for having enough space for radios covering US and Global freqs, and standards (800/850/900/1800/1900/2100MHz, CDMA, GSM, UMTS...f**k-it...we'll just add LTE and 700MHz...it could be a real drunken-Irish party in there...)

If I understand the diatribe above yes LTE will on 700 MHZ only
    05-05-09 05:35 PM
    That's the one fact we can count on.

If Apple doesn't jump on the LTE wagon early on, it would be a monumental mistake. You know RIM will be all over it, and Google(Android), we certainly not seen the last of them. They are in a large part responsible for the Open Access format of LTE, so it would stand to reason that they have some big plans. Not to mention WinMo.
    I don't know if RIM will be upgrading to LTE any time soon.... look at how long it took them to release a 3G phone! right when everyones ready to move to 4G
    05-07-09 03:03 PM
    it'll be "tri-mode" like the old phones had with analog i suppose...it'll be 1X/EV/LTE capable....

i'm just excited to see how BIS and BES functions and policies change with LTE...no more truncation, more OTA sync capabilities....bandwidth = options
    better, faster browser....
    05-07-09 03:04 PM
    What it means is that CDMA and LTE will work together; then after they get enough consumers on LTE enabled devices ( ie upgrades new service and turn over ) then they will turn the CDMA off and force convert the laggers.
    Just like Analog and Digital...
    when AT&T went TDMA to GSM they gave everyone 2yrs I think?? (correct if Im wrong) they offered great deals to upgrade to digital and volunteer convert. When the time came they turned it off... the ones left were then forced to either NOT have cell service or to convert...

another example of this is the analog to digital conversion with tv.
    They are overlayed as of now.. but they turn it off and poof... people will lose tv if they didnt listen to the like 2yr warning of this happening.
    Yes, it does irk people off, but its not like there is no warning...

Most likely this whole LTE conversion wouldnt go full tilt for years.
    Will we have SIM cards? Having SIM cards means it's easier to switch phones, right???

P.S. I LOVE Serenity/Firefly!
    05-11-09 06:48 PM
    P.S. I LOVE Serenity/Firefly!
    Quick venture off-topic...Firefly was simply awesome!! Shame on Fox for ambushing it the way they did! Great stuff!

Back on topic...LTE, er yeah! LTE!
    05-11-09 07:14 PM
    Verizon Wireless Clarifies LTE Timeline
    Wednesday, 6:47 PM by Eric M. Zeman

During today's Long Term Evolution webcast for developers, Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam made clearer the schedule Verizon has envisioned for rolling out its LTE network. Lowell said the network will launch in 20 to 30 markets during the second half of 2010. It is still on track to launch two trial networks -- one east coast, one west coast -- by the end of 2009. It will reveal exactly which markets those are closer to launch. Verizon also revealed that devices that can access its LTE network will have swappable SIM cards, similar to those found in today's GSM-based phones. However, the cards will likely only be swappable with other Verizon LTE-certified hardware. Verizon said it believes its LTE network will be capable fo speeds ranging between 8Mbps and 12Mbps.
    05-15-09 08:42 AM
    I guess this is good hopefully companies will make phones that will work on Verizons LTE. I love to have a phone like the N97 on verizons network.
    05-15-09 10:17 AM
    Link to tech info on LTE?
    05-15-09 10:52 AM
    Link to tech info on LTE?
    googled the title and found this

Verizon Wireless Clarifies LTE Timeline (Phone Scoop)
    05-15-09 04:10 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD