05-15-09 05:10 PM
34 12
tools
    I read LTE is the new 4G Verizon wireless will be going to. What i don't understand is what that means for CDMA phones/CDMA carriers...???
    05-03-09 07:42 PM
    Means that CDMA in a distant future will be reitred like analog
    05-03-09 07:45 PM
    Perhaps not. I found this article researching LTE.

At the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona today, the next-generation 4G wireless service finally got some respect, with AT&T saying it will likely deploy the Long Term Evolution (LTE) standard in 2011 rather than in 2012 and Verizon choosing vendors for its upcoming LTE rollout.

Verizon has chosen Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent (s ALU) as the initial vendors for the LTE rollout and is reporting speeds of between 50 and 60 Mbps downlink in test markets. This leaves other vendors who participated in the trials Nortel, Motorola and Nokia-Siemens out in the cold so far. As far as speeds go, once the carrier puts its millions of subscribers on the network, those speeds will change, but its still going to be better than the current 3G when it comes to delivering data.

And datas what Verizons LTE network will be for, according to Verizon CTO **** Lynch. When I asked him about LTE handset deployments, he said there will be a few handsets and laptop cards with LTE about a year after the 2010 LTE network launch, but he stressed that voice is going to be carried over the 3G network well into the next decade LTE will be for devices. In the future, consumers will have 8-10 LTE-enabled devices that the consumer wont even know has broadband, he said.

Verizon Will Have LTE Smartphones in 2011
    05-03-09 08:59 PM
    Perhaps not. I found this article researching LTE.

At the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona today, the next-generation 4G wireless service finally got some respect, with AT&T saying it will likely deploy the Long Term Evolution (LTE) standard in 2011 rather than in 2012 and Verizon choosing vendors for its upcoming LTE rollout.

Verizon has chosen Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent (s ALU) as the initial vendors for the LTE rollout and is reporting speeds of between 50 and 60 Mbps downlink in test markets. This leaves other vendors who participated in the trials Nortel, Motorola and Nokia-Siemens out in the cold so far. As far as speeds go, once the carrier puts its millions of subscribers on the network, those speeds will change, but its still going to be better than the current 3G when it comes to delivering data.

And datas what Verizons LTE network will be for, according to Verizon CTO **** Lynch. When I asked him about LTE handset deployments, he said there will be a few handsets and laptop cards with LTE about a year after the 2010 LTE network launch, but he stressed that voice is going to be carried over the 3G network well into the next decade LTE will be for devices. In the future, consumers will have 8-10 LTE-enabled devices that the consumer wont even know has broadband, he said.

Verizon Will Have LTE Smartphones in 2011
    Like I said DISTANT future. Analog was just turned off last year. Now that was years after Digital much less 3G were released.
    05-03-09 09:05 PM
    I like that the word filter for CB though that the CTO of VZW's first name was too offensive. Perhaps because its synonymous with a part of the male reproductive system?

Seriously though, LTE is gonna kick the llama's a$$ as far as data speed goes. Can't wait!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 09:05 PM
    Your right Lastraid, you did say distant future. My bad.
    05-03-09 09:09 PM
    Not to mention till the market accepts and folks start buying LTE devices, I am sure the price of these devices might be on the pricy side. I hope not, but just a feeling like any new technology.

Example would be VCR's, when the first came out the were over $1000 now you just toss them and get a blueray player and even those are starting to come down.

Just a thought
    05-03-09 09:15 PM
    I'm sure you will be correct, but the thought of all those wonderful toys.
    05-03-09 10:00 PM
    Means that CDMA in a distant future will be reitred like analog
    If u can elaborate; will it be a very distant future.....?
    05-04-09 10:58 AM
    LTE will overlay CDMA for a while. You can look at how ATT handled putting its TDMA users on GSM. Over time they can turn the network down as more and more users move off to a newer network.
    05-04-09 11:00 AM
    LTE will overlay CDMA for a while. You can look at how ATT handled putting its TDMA users on GSM. Over time they can turn the network down as more and more users move off to a newer network.
    Cool; I am thinking that is why Appl is interested in coming to VZW because of it because the know VZW will be ahead of the curve; I am hoping that they will start releasing LTE phones by the end of the year early next year.
    Gotta have it......
    05-04-09 11:13 AM
    You never know! But from what I am know, you will NOT see a CDMA iPhone. Everything changes with LTE though.
    05-04-09 11:28 AM
    You never know! But from what I am know, you will NOT see a CDMA iPhone. Everything changes with LTE though.
    Thats a given....
    Bet a dime to a donut on that.
    05-04-09 11:31 AM
    Everything changes with LTE though.
    That's the one fact we can count on.

If Apple doesn't jump on the LTE wagon early on, it would be a monumental mistake. You know RIM will be all over it, and Google(Android), we certainly not seen the last of them. They are in a large part responsible for the Open Access format of LTE, so it would stand to reason that they have some big plans. Not to mention WinMo.
    05-04-09 11:43 AM
    Completely unrelated...Anyone notice that the CFO's first name was censored. Lol!
    05-04-09 11:50 AM
    Yeah... lol... I guess he should have typed Richard.
    05-04-09 11:53 AM
    That's the one fact we can count on.

If Apple doesn't jump on the LTE wagon early on, it would be a monumental mistake. You know RIM will be all over it, and Google(Android), we certainly not seen the last of them. They are in a large part responsible for the Open Access format of LTE, so it would stand to reason that they have some big plans. Not to mention WinMo.
    "APPL" U said it and that is why they wanna come to VZW......
    Cause VZW will be first in implimentation.
    Don't flame for spelling
    05-04-09 11:54 AM
    I didn't notice that at first. What happened with the name. I just Copied and pasted the article and the link. Why was it edited?
    05-04-09 12:01 PM
    I didn't notice that at first. What happened with the name. I just Copied and pasted the article and the link. Why was it edited?
    I guess the automated editing feature can't differentiate between a first name or the slang for male genitalia.
    05-04-09 12:13 PM
    Overlay?

There will be certain phones with CDMA and certain ones with LTE?

OR...will there be CDMA/LTE handsets on the market?? (One phone with both)
    05-04-09 02:57 PM
    Here's my question. The LTE is going to be rolled out on the C-Block that VZW bought at auction, 700MHz. What will VZW do with the CDMA overlay on 800 and 1900MHz? Will that be converted to LTE as well, or will the devices put out on the network use the incumbent freqs for voice, and keep LTE solely for data (thus allowing for simultaneous voice and data with virtually no congestion)?
    05-04-09 10:14 PM
    Go back and read post number 3. this is as close to answer that you are looking for at this time
    05-04-09 10:23 PM
    it'll be "tri-mode" like the old phones had with analog i suppose...it'll be 1X/EV/LTE capable....

i'm just excited to see how BIS and BES functions and policies change with LTE...no more truncation, more OTA sync capabilities....bandwidth = options
    05-04-09 10:50 PM
    Overlay?

There will be certain phones with CDMA and certain ones with LTE?

OR...will there be CDMA/LTE handsets on the market?? (One phone with both)
    What it means is that CDMA and LTE will work together; then after they get enough consumers on LTE enabled devices ( ie upgrades new service and turn over ) then they will turn the CDMA off and force convert the laggers.
    Just like Analog and Digital...
    when AT&T went TDMA to GSM they gave everyone 2yrs I think?? (correct if Im wrong) they offered great deals to upgrade to digital and volunteer convert. When the time came they turned it off... the ones left were then forced to either NOT have cell service or to convert...

another example of this is the analog to digital conversion with tv.
    They are overlayed as of now.. but they turn it off and poof... people will lose tv if they didnt listen to the like 2yr warning of this happening.
    Yes, it does irk people off, but its not like there is no warning...

Most likely this whole LTE conversion wouldnt go full tilt for years.
    05-04-09 11:26 PM
    Go back and read post number 3. this is as close to answer that you are looking for at this time
    Yeah, I should have clarified that I meant "long term" past the next decade, etc. I guess that means we're looking at tri-band, dual-or-tri-mode type devices of some type in the future. My curiosity is piqued simply because challenges that may or may not exist for having enough space for radios covering US and Global freqs, and standards (800/850/900/1800/1900/2100MHz, CDMA, GSM, UMTS...f**k-it...we'll just add LTE and 700MHz...it could be a real drunken-Irish party in there...)
    05-05-09 08:01 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD