09-02-09 12:09 PM
34 12
tools
    with the raging fires going on in Los Angeles, some say cell phone and radio service could be affected. Any word on if VZW towers are located here?

TV, cellphone signals from Mt. Wilson at risk -- latimes.com
    08-31-09 12:58 PM
    There are not only towers in the area, but a lot of infrastructure & backhaul in the area. A lot could be affected or damaged.

But the facilities can be rebuilt - it's the people in the affected areas & their families that I pray for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 01:36 PM
    Lets worry about the 10,000 plus homes that are in danger first.
    08-31-09 01:46 PM
    Verizon is working hard to keep service there. The network team has worked around the clock bringing in mobile cell towers and strengthening the towers that are already there. We've also given over 100 handsets and 30 broadband access cards to help the responders communicate to put this blaze out.

08-31-09 01:54 PM
    we lost 2 firefighters there yesterday......keep their families in your prayers.......as a federal firefighters were hoping for a quick safe extinguishment for our brothers........
    08-31-09 02:27 PM
    we lost 2 firefighters there yesterday......keep their families in your prayers.......as a federal firefighters were hoping for a quick safe extinguishment for our brothers........
    Amen to that.

08-31-09 03:57 PM
    Rip brothers

08-31-09 10:56 PM
    Amen to that.
    I echo your words - I have a few childhood friends who work for LA County FD and LA City. Need to reach out to them soon.
    09-01-09 08:46 AM
    of course i am concerend about people losing lives and homes. I have several friends who are firefighters and they are in the fight right now.

they and myself were wondering about cell service. it's a legit question and should be asked without the self righteous lecture. don't diminish the importance of it just because your narrow perspective perceived my question as having no sympathy for firefighters and lives.

Why can't discussion be kept on topic?

This wasn't a sympathy thread for the fires, this is a legit question and maybe some of us need to use a cell phone in times like this?

amazing the attitude of some people here.
    09-01-09 11:13 AM
    Verizon is working hard to keep service there. The network team has worked around the clock bringing in mobile cell towers and strengthening the towers that are already there. We've also given over 100 handsets and 30 broadband access cards to help the responders communicate to put this blaze out.

I'm glad to hear that. When I first heard about the extra effort being made to protect the towers at Mt. Wilson, I thought it was wrong to risk their lives just to keep some tv channels and some cell phone signals going. Then I read that those towers are also used by fire and police units for communication, so they are trying to keep their own lines of communication going too. LA has cooled down a bit today. Its still in the 90's where the fire is, but that's much better than the 112 degrees it was over the weekend. When this is over I hope the city gives these firefighters some kind of award. I can't imagine fighting a fire this big in triple digits heat.
    09-01-09 03:58 PM
    I'm glad to hear that. When I first heard about the extra effort being made to protect the towers at Mt. Wilson, I thought it was wrong to risk their lives just to keep some tv channels and some cell phone signals going. Then I read that those towers are also used by fire and police units for communication, so they are trying to keep their own lines of communication going too. LA has cooled down a bit today. Its still in the 90's where the fire is, but that's much better than the 112 degrees it was over the weekend. When this is over I hope the city gives these firefighters some kind of award. I can't imagine fighting a fire this big in triple digits heat.
    Verizon Wireless has always prided itself on providing assistance to emergency responders. Over the years Verizon has always been the company running to the crises, not away. We're there at every major wildfire, we were the only company during katrina that had service and we've provided thousands of devices and setup portable charging stations and provided stations with phones for people to make free calls to their loved ones during katrina, and the other hurrican later. (dont remember the name).
    09-01-09 04:06 PM
    it's a legit question and should be asked without the self righteous lecture. don't diminish the importance of it just because your narrow perspective perceived my question as having no sympathy for firefighters and lives.

Why can't discussion be kept on topic?

This wasn't a sympathy thread for the fires, this is a legit question and maybe some of us need to use a cell phone in times like this?

What I find amazing is I answered your question in the very first paragraph of the first reply - and received no acknowledgement that you read it or even cared.

Yes, there are towers there & more, with many communications lines in danger. They can all be affected.

After that, what more do you expect people to say? Should we argue that the facilities are fireproof? Maybe we can discuss the stupidity of people living in an area like that? How about anyone coming up with a solution to permanently protect those facilities?

After the question was answered, there was nothing more to be said that was "on topic" without being redundant.

Maybe you need a dose of reality & maybe some Vitamin E to increase skin thickness.

09-01-09 09:40 PM
    I took the op post as someone being concerned with staying in contact with a friend or family member. Not so much being more worried about their cell service service over homes and lives.

09-01-09 09:54 PM
    What I find amazing is I answered your question in the very first paragraph of the first reply - and received no acknowledgement that you read it or even cared.

Yes, there are towers there & more, with many communications lines in danger. They can all be affected.

After that, what more do you expect people to say? Should we argue that the facilities are fireproof? Maybe we can discuss the stupidity of people living in an area like that? How about anyone coming up with a solution to permanently protect those facilities?

After the question was answered, there was nothing more to be said that was "on topic" without being redundant.

Maybe you need a dose of reality & maybe some Vitamin E to increase skin thickness.

Clearly he was offended because someone else responded with a "how dare he think of the radio towers instead of the families/homes" attitude despite the fact he had a legitimate question. Cut the guy some slack.
    Last edited by lahnipm; 09-02-09 at 09:56 AM.
    09-02-09 09:54 AM
    Clearly he was offended because someone else responded with a "how dare he think of the radio towers instead of the families/homes" attitude despite the fact he had a legitimate question. Cut the guy some slack.
    If he is going to ask for it to stay on topic, then maybe he should notice the question was answered...

But to restate the answer, there is plenty that can be damaged, but as of right now there is nothing reported. But this is SoCal we are talking about, service is everywhere.
    09-02-09 10:20 AM
    If he is going to ask for it to stay on topic, then maybe he should notice the question was answered...

But to restate the answer, there is plenty that can be damaged, but as of right now there is nothing reported. But this is SoCal we are talking about, service is everywhere.
    Yea, you're right. That's perfect justification to attack the guy to keep a thread from being derailed and making it much more difficult to find any information from anyone contributing to potential updates about the network's integrity.
    09-02-09 10:23 AM
    Yea, you're right. That's perfect justification to attack the guy to keep a thread from being derailed and making it much more difficult to find any information from anyone contributing to potential updates about the network's integrity.
    Its called reading... not really hard. If I ask a question and it gets answered why the **** would I care if the thread gets jacked?
    09-02-09 10:30 AM
    Also, in all honesty, I felt Weekendbum's response was more appropriate and that was after the OP responded. And Twins, in all fairness, since you were quick to jump on his response, I don't felt you answered him fairly to warrant that type of response. Even I can come on here and tell him that fire burns and things could be effected. At least Weekendbum gave some insight as to what VZW is doing to help secure the network. Perhaps he's looking for more update-to-date information from someone that's fighting on the front lines that hasn't been reported yet in the news.
    09-02-09 10:30 AM
    when the statement of...

...was made after the answer was given, thats just showing ignorance. the question was answered and after that people started stating personal opinions about what was happening.
    09-02-09 10:32 AM
    thank you to the guys that did stay on topic and offered some useful info.

to the rest of you. i don't know what to say. seriously, i felt it was a legit question. why does every forum have these people who feel the need to lecture? givwe it a break, if you have something to say that is related to the topic please contribute. but if your just going to be a finger pointing grandma go watch some golden girls.
    09-02-09 10:35 AM
    I love my grandma.
    09-02-09 10:38 AM
    when the statement of...

...was made after the answer was given, thats just showing ignorance. the question was answered and after that people started stating personal opinions about what was happening.
    and what is it that your doing? how is your post contributing to the actual topic? your just like everyone else who instead of staying focused on the discussion has to attack other people.

fact, your not on topic.
    fact, your spending time typing about me, which again is off topic from the original discussion.

go find something useful to do. like actually contribute useful discussion instead of picking someone's post apart.
    09-02-09 10:38 AM
    and what is it that your doing? how is your post contributing to the actual topic? your just like everyone else who instead of staying focused on the discussion has to attack other people.

fact, your not on topic.
    fact, your spending time typing about me, which again is off topic from the original discussion.

go find something useful to do. like actually contribute useful discussion instead of picking someone's post apart.
    Hypocrytical? You spend time fighting just like everyone else... This post isn't about how the fires will affect VZW... so why are you posting?
    Last edited by blue_and_bold; 09-02-09 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Trying to not be rude but its so damn hard
    09-02-09 10:40 AM
    Look at it however you want. I was simply saying that attacking the OP is unwarranted for a legitimate question and was unfair to assume his priorities were misplaced. I felt he was justifiable with his response in reference to the person he was quoting that spiraled this thread into a ball of awesome.
    Last edited by lahnipm; 09-02-09 at 10:47 AM.
    09-02-09 10:42 AM
    fact, your not on topic.
    fact, you have been answered muliple times, including once by me.

cry less please.
    09-02-09 10:48 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD