okay so I'm sure this has been asked by plenty of people, but you all seem pretty nice so.... Just looking for some buyer's encouragement (or discouragement)

Here's the deal. I'm currently Blackberry-less, and am chomping at the bit to get one. I was all amped for the Storm when it came out, but after hearing about all the problems it seems like more potential headache than its worth.

So my only other option is the Curve 8300. I'm a little hesitant as although everyone seems to love it and I know it's a great phone, it's a couple years old and I know RIM has some new stuff on the way for Verizon soon...but the wait is killing me and God only knows how much the new phones will be and how difficult it will be to get.

So the question is, should I wait, or just dive in with the Curve 8330? I was thinking about heading to the vzw store tomorrow so any replies would be great. Thanks!!

Bill
    05-25-09 01:01 AM
    okay so I'm sure this has been asked by plenty of people, but you all seem pretty nice so.... Just looking for some buyer's encouragement (or discouragement)

Here's the deal. I'm currently Blackberry-less, and am chomping at the bit to get one. I was all amped for the Storm when it came out, but after hearing about all the problems it seems like more potential headache than its worth.

So my only other option is the Curve 8300. I'm a little hesitant as although everyone seems to love it and I know it's a great phone, it's a couple years old and I know RIM has some new stuff on the way for Verizon soon...but the wait is killing me and God only knows how much the new phones will be and how difficult it will be to get.

So the question is, should I wait, or just dive in with the Curve 8330? I was thinking about heading to the vzw store tomorrow so any replies would be great. Thanks!!

Bill
    I cant say the phone your thinking of is a bad choice but being that its getting closer and closer to retirement I would suggest that you probably just wait for the TOUR if you want a keyboard..

I mean realistically it wont be that hard to get. Also unless you were to buy your curve from craigs list your looking at 2 years until you can upgrade at a discount..

I would personally just hold off its not really that much longer.

The speculated date for the tour is July 13th. This is not set in stone but its looking good..

The tour has a ton more app memory available over the curve or the storm..

and it is going to have the same media capabilities and device insides as the storm...

just not as big of a screen as it but a bigger screen then the curve.

I would wait...
    05-25-09 01:05 AM
    If I were in your position, I would go on eBay or craigslist and buy a 8330 for a cheap price, just so you can finally have a BB. Then, once the Tour comes out, buy that from VZW. But before you do anything, definitely go by a VZW store and check out the Storm and Curve.
    Keep in mind though that a Storm in the store would most likely be on .75 which isn't very good. A lot of us upgrade to leaked OS' which make the phone much more stable, quicker, and trouble free.
    05-25-09 01:07 AM
    Craigs list or ebay. I have had the curve for 2 years and it's a superb phone. I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 01:08 AM
    I also would personally wait to get the Tour.
    I have the curve and it is a great phone, but this new one is going to be so nice.
    Having the guts of the storm in it will make it so much better for running apps on it.
    If you can wait, get a curve on ebay, make sure it's a Verizon phone and that the
    person has a good selling history. I got my last curve off of ebay.
    It's always good to have a back up phone and you'll have that once the Tour comes out.
    05-25-09 03:05 AM
    Wait a few more months. Thats what I'm doing. I'm in your same exact position. I can go get a Storm from a VZW store right now for only $100, but I'm not waisting my upgrade on that. Im waiting.
    05-25-09 03:17 AM
    ...but the wait is killing me
    Good things come to those who wait.
    05-25-09 08:31 AM

Bill
    Play with the Storm and see what you think. I've had my Storm since mid December and love mine. It has been glitchy from time to time, but I deal with phones every day, and I see just as many people having issues with other Blackberry's such as the Pearl and the Curve.

What I end up telling customers is this; I personally love my Storm, but a touch screen is much different to get used to, and it can be especially frustrating when it's your first Blackberry. To me the Curve is the "ole' standby", kind of the Blackberry for everyone.

And one thing I must say, this "Tour" or any other model that the others continue to refer to are nothing more than pure rumor or speculation at this point. So don't go by that.
    05-25-09 08:45 AM
    awesome, thanks a ton for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it! That's the other thing I forgot to mention, i'm not eligible for an upgrade until December, but I got a thing in the mail on Friday saying I could upgrade to a Storm for $199 right now...so even if I do wait for the Tour, chances are I'd have to pay full price..

decisions, decisions!
    05-25-09 10:14 AM
    awesome, thanks a ton for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it! That's the other thing I forgot to mention, i'm not eligible for an upgrade until December, but I got a thing in the mail on Friday saying I could upgrade to a Storm for $199 right now...so even if I do wait for the Tour, chances are I'd have to pay full price..

decisions, decisions!
    Might not be a bad idea to wait until December anyway... seems with every new blackberry that is released, regardless of carrier, there are always some bugs to be worked out in the first couple months.With the Tour being a more traditional style of blackberry this may not be the case, but it wouldnt surprise me at all.
    05-25-09 02:44 PM

decisions, decisions!

You probably got that thing in the mail because you have an annual upgrade available. They have had a big push recently informing people about annual ups.
    Normally you pay a bit more on an annual then you do on a two year upgrade (still not full retail) but they are offering the NE2 or 2yr up price on annuals.
    Your annual upgrade will be there until your NE2 is available. So even if you wait for the tour you shouldn't end up paying full price. Assuming it is for your annual that they sent you that.
    05-25-09 04:20 PM
    Well I just got my Storm on Friday and it has been a headache ever since... I blasted through the battery almost 3 times yesterday and I barely used it, but the Verizon store rep insists that I need to keep Bluetooth off at all times, clear my application log daily and keep my sensitivity turned down low... It is way too much hassle for me... I made some adjustments after talking to tech support... If the battery dies before I get home tomorrow night from work (I'm meeting some friends to watch the Penguins game) I am calling Verizon and sending it back...
    you just got a bunk phone, idk what to tell ya...

call C/S and have them ship out a battery, sounds like the store reps are morons. or you can deal with the store manager, generally they're a little more agressive with customer satisfaction, and they'll do what it takes to get you out the door ASAP with a smile on your face and a good phone in your hand.

if you need help on how to position the situation to the store reps, PM me. i used to work for VZW. i know what they want to hear

same for you, OP...if you wanna know what questions to ask to get the most out of your visit, feel free to message me or email me and we'll discuss it further.
    05-26-09 02:23 AM

And one thing I must say, this "Tour" or any other model that the others continue to refer to are nothing more than pure rumor or speculation at this point. So don't go by that.

It is rumors and speculation right now but theres enough information now that a lot of the rumors and speculation are pretty close to truth....

We new all this about the storm and I even believe we new a lot of it sooner then we new about the tour....

so rumors and speculation truth but its also extremely educated rumors and speculation ;D
    05-26-09 02:21 PM
    It is rumors and speculation right now but theres enough information now that a lot of the rumors and speculation are pretty close to truth....
    Have it your way. As I've stated before, we normally get training on a Blackberry device at least a month ahead of time, at least, and there simply isn't anything there. I have no doubt a few of these models will end up in the line up before the end of the year, but all of these "soon" predictions, I don't think so.
    05-26-09 03:17 PM
    Have it your way. As I've stated before, we normally get training on a Blackberry device at least a month ahead of time, at least, and there simply isn't anything there. I have no doubt a few of these models will end up in the line up before the end of the year, but all of these "soon" predictions, I don't think so.

yes but even by your statement if the july 13th date was correct then your training would start june 13th.. if it was at least a month in advance

now obviously your statement about it being speculation is true...

but its just that we did the same thing with the storm and well it took a while for this much information to be out on the device but by the time it was it was shortly after that it was released..

Obviously not all launches are the same but eh we will see
    05-26-09 03:29 PM
    yes but even by your statement if the july 13th date was correct then your training would start june 13th.. if it was at least a month in advance
    Whatever............

The point that I'm clearly making is, VZW's premiere product, along with the Netbooks and MiFi these days, is anything Blackberry. VZW wants every chance to ride the Blackberry wave in hopes of decimating ATT's market with the iPhone. So any release from Blackberry is going to be monumental, and they would ask for the extra effort to know the product well and promote it to death.

I've known about the Netbooks for almost 8 months before their release, we got the training on that about a month and a half ahead of time. The Pearl Flip was shown to us BRIEFLY at our sales kick off in January, and there has been little to no discussion about that. That is it.
    05-26-09 10:01 PM

Bill
    I'm in almost the exact same situation. Except I'm eligible for an upgrade now. But I don't want the 8330 because is probably nearing the end of its cycle, so I'd like something a little more current. I actually bought an 8900 from tmo last week, but there service doesn't work where I work, so I returned it. I'm really chomping at the bit after that! I've never had a dingleberry before, so it was really cool for me. I guess I'll just have to hang in there and hope that the July 13 rumors for the 9630 are true (if not sooner).
    05-26-09 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD