Situation: 700 min family share plan, 2 BB + 1 dumb phone

I am the primary account holder. 7 months left on my line. BB
    Wife is secondary, 19 months left on her line. BB
    Mother in law is an 9.99 add on, 14 months left on her line. Dumb phone

Wife and I are considering porting to a different provider. We added my mother in law by me doing an assumption of liability to absorb her account. She cannot leave Verzion, as it is the only provider that works at her house.

Can she assume the contract by me signing it over to her, and we pay the ETF on our 2 lines (approximately $391) and she changes it back over to a single account?

Not sure what our options here, but we are strongly considering porting out. Keeping our numbers is not that high of a priority.
    08-03-10 06:59 PM
    Have MIL AOL all 3 lines, & put dumb phones on yours & wife's two lines - and pay MIL for them; then go to other provider and get new service & new numbers if numbers don't matter. You'd pay MIL less than the ETF... ($260 vs $391)
    08-03-10 09:22 PM
    What is MIL AOL? I like how this sounds. Appreciate the heads up.
    08-03-10 10:02 PM
    Mother In Law = MIL
    Assumption Of Liability = AOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 11:05 PM
    Mother In Law = MIL
    Assumption Of Liability = AOL

Wow. I feel like an *****. LOL. I should have known that. I thought that it was something that I should know.
    08-04-10 01:13 AM
    OK, update. Brother in law is going to take over our contract next month when their contract is up. It's his Mom, so that is fine. She is going to stay on the account. They both use dumb phones, and are trying to cut back expenses, so this will save them money, as MIL pays more than the $9.99 add on that she is.

Here is my question. What is going to happen with our numbers? I am figuring that we will lose them. We will be going to a new provider before this all happens, and using new numbers with them, and possibly porting our VZ numbers in if possible. I am not counting on it though.
    08-07-10 06:22 PM
    The trick to porting is you have to leave the old carrier's account active until it's complete. With Alltel it took a week or so.
    08-08-10 01:59 AM
    I ported my number to AT&T because it would have been too much of a hassle to change it. But I sold my Incredible for just enough to cover the ETF and someone got a great phone and I broke even.
    08-08-10 09:09 AM
    The trick to porting is you have to leave the old carrier's account active until it's complete. With Alltel it took a week or so.

The trick? Its a simple process done hundreds of times a day. You go to whatever carrier you want and say "i want to keep my number" They put it in the computer, you provide the proper information(old acct. number, password on the old acct.) and viola, its done.

The port process expectation is set at 24 hours. If all information is provided, it usually takes 10-15 minutes for a port to go through successfully.

Anywho...why do you want to leave Verizon if you dont mind me asking? Didnt sound like there were any reasons especially since you just recently renewed your wifes line.
    08-08-10 11:45 AM
    Right, but I had some customers when I sold Alltel cancel their line of service with the old carrier before I could port the number into Alltel.
    08-08-10 12:12 PM
    If I port, we pay the ETF. Don't want to do that. I personally don't care about my number. Wife has a good one that she likes.
    08-08-10 07:43 PM
    Don't port so you won't have to pay the ETF.

08-08-10 07:54 PM
    That is the plan. Already ordered phones from AT&T. Got consecutive numbers that are actually easier to remember than our current ones. Not too bad.
    08-13-10 05:04 PM
    That is the plan. Already ordered phones from AT&T. Got consecutive numbers that are actually easier to remember than our current ones. Not too bad.
    If you don't like the new numbers, I thought you could port the numbers out, which would cancel your contracts. But then you call Verizon back and ask to have the contracts reactivated under new numbers. Then you keep you numbers with new service and keep old contract to avoid hefty ETF.

Maybe a rep can clarify if this is possible.
    08-13-10 05:31 PM
    Update: turns out my brother in law and sister in law who where going to take over our contract were not out of their current contract. They could assume our contract, but they would have to assume our numbers as well.

We paid $345 ETF that day. Good thing we had just sold our treadmill for $350 an hour before heading to the Verizon store.
    08-30-10 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD