Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and plan to pick up a BlackBerry if at all possible within the next week. I've been doing some reading, and I have some questions.

I'm currently on a family plan with my aunt (primary) and my grandmother is joining our shared plan soon. Our original plan, which we have been on for 4 years, was 700 shared minutes between my aunt and I. About 6-8 months ago, I got unlimited texting but VZW said that both phones had to have the unlimited texting (for I believe $25/month), even though I was the only one who wanted it.

Both of them only use their phones for calling, so they don't need or want internet or texting when we get our new phones this week. I currently have the Motorola K1M KRAZR and it's been the biggest POS ever over the 2 years I've had it, so I'm definitely interested in upgrading to the BB Curve 8330. Obviously I'm kind of winging it by looking through the VZW website for "new" users and getting pricing, but I see $29.99/mo for the data plan plus 10-20 for texting.

1. Does the BB 8330 count IMs on AIM as SMS messages or data?
    2. The $29.99/mo BB data plan is capped at 5 GB, correct?
    3. Will VZW try to apply internet and texting across the entire shared plan (me + two non-internet, non-texting users) at a higher price like they did for texting? Is there a way to ensure that only my phone is charged/enabled for those? My thought is that since BB Data is phone-specific, they won't but I can't find a definitive answer.
    4. Is the insurance worth it? I replaced my K1M three total times (only the first one was damage related, the other two had problems just after Asurion's return period) and Verizon is STILL charging $5 a month several months after Asurion cancelled my insurance coverage so I need to get that resolved; I just want to make sure that the insurance actually pays off in the case of the Curve.
    5. Are there any shared plan quirks that I need to know about when only one user is on a BlackBerry?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
    05-09-09 01:25 AM
    Hey Mafia,
    I am a tech support rep for big red and think I can shed some light on your questions...
    1. Depending on which program your using, depends on how the usage is rated. Personally, I would recommend the you download the A.I.M. off of mobile.blackberry.com when you get the handset and use the data connection rather than your sms

2. The $29.99 plans pertains to unlimited access from the berry itself, so there is no cap, this does not include tethering

3. Your email/data plan will pertain solely to your line. the only reason unlimited texting was applied to your entire plan, is because your on a family share and thats the way the plans are built

4. I personally pay for insurance on my lines. $5 a month to know that I wont have to pay $400+ for a new storm or curve(nothing but berries in my family share =)) out of pocket...$5 a month for piece of mind is worth it to me

5.No quirks that need mentioning that I am aware of, doesnt change anything else on the account, so you should be good to go. And welcome to the greatest addiction in the world!
    05-09-09 01:45 AM
    Hey Mafia,
    I am a tech support rep for big red and think I can shed some light on your questions...
    1. Depending on which program your using, depends on how the usage is rated. Personally, I would recommend the you download the A.I.M. off of mobile.blackberry.com when you get the handset and use the data connection rather than your sms

2. The $29.99 plans pertains to unlimited access from the berry itself, so there is no cap, this does not include tethering

3. Your email/data plan will pertain solely to your line. the only reason unlimited texting was applied to your entire plan, is because your on a family share and thats the way the plans are built

4. I personally pay for insurance on my lines. $5 a month to know that I wont have to pay $400+ for a new storm or curve(nothing but berries in my family share =)) out of pocket...$5 a month for piece of mind is worth it to me

5.No quirks that need mentioning that I am aware of, doesnt change anything else on the account, so you should be good to go. And welcome to the greatest addiction in the world!
    Thanks for your help.

I'm not 100% sure of the plan (I will try to get a copy of the bill tomorrow) but my assumption is that we're doing 1400 minutes Basic shared while adding the third line.

If AIM ends up tied to data, then I don't need a ton of texts, especially with unlimited mobile to mobile, so I'm thinking 1500 for $15 which then means we're only paying an additional 19.99 for me (data + texting), correct?

Currently:
    $25/month for unlimited texting

With BB:
    $29.99/mo for data plan
    $15.00/mo for 1500 texts

Or am I missing something major here?
    05-09-09 02:03 AM
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and plan to pick up a BlackBerry if at all possible within the next week. I've been doing some reading, and I have some questions.

I'm currently on a family plan with my aunt (primary) and my grandmother is joining our shared plan soon. Our original plan, which we have been on for 4 years, was 700 shared minutes between my aunt and I. About 6-8 months ago, I got unlimited texting but VZW said that both phones had to have the unlimited texting (for I believe $25/month), even though I was the only one who wanted it.

Both of them only use their phones for calling, so they don't need or want internet or texting when we get our new phones this week. I currently have the Motorola K1M KRAZR and it's been the biggest POS ever over the 2 years I've had it, so I'm definitely interested in upgrading to the BB Curve 8330. Obviously I'm kind of winging it by looking through the VZW website for "new" users and getting pricing, but I see $29.99/mo for the data plan plus 10-20 for texting.

3. Will VZW try to apply internet and texting across the entire shared plan (me + two non-internet, non-texting users) at a higher price like they did for texting? Is there a way to ensure that only my phone is charged/enabled for those? My thought is that since BB Data is phone-specific, they won't but I can't find a definitive answer.
    4. Is the insurance worth it? I replaced my K1M three total times (only the first one was damage related, the other two had problems just after Asurion's return period) and Verizon is STILL charging $5 a month several months after Asurion cancelled my insurance coverage so I need to get that resolved; I just want to make sure that the insurance actually pays off in the case of the Curve.
    5. Are there any shared plan quirks that I need to know about when only one user is on a BlackBerry?

ok so i want to shed light on a few questions

all the messenger apps on blackberrys use data not SMS this includes the aim,gtalk,msn,yahoo

there is also multi messengers such as beejive which also use data and allow you to be logged into all of your messenger services in one app.

In the right up about the cap they basically put 5gb as a get out clause in a sort 5gb is considered in there part to be excessive usage. Theres not really a cap for the berry itself but if your constantly using 5gb it can be considered excessive and they can terminate your account. However you can suck yourself to the thing for a entire month surfing the web getting email and barely even reach 1gb unless you start doing major streaming and such so I wouldn't worry about it.

the blackberry 29.99 bis plan only needs to be on the phone using it.

insurance is what you take of it. you are aloud to replace the device 2 times a year for 50 bucks (deductible) they cover anything even if it gets dropped in a lake. Now if you receive a replacement and something is wrong with it and you dont return it in the period of time then thats 1 of your 2 replacements per year.

if your willing to spend 500 bucks on a new phone if yours breaks then the insurance wont mean much but if you do have a accident it definetly pays off..

keep in mind the insurance is not meant to be abused but it definetly gives you a free mind.
    05-09-09 02:52 AM
    My question about insurance is more because I had really poor experiences with Asurion with my K1M.

I had insurance for a full 2 yrs on my first Verizon phone. Then I upgraded to the K1M with New Every 2.
    Phone 1: Initially purchased, lasted 6-8 months. I dropped it on the floor and while there was no functionality problem, I decided to send it in for replacement because the outer screen was cracked.
    Phone 2: Lasted about a week before I had major problems with it. VZW store suggested I contact Asurion. Called Asurion and got a new one.
    Phone 3: Lasted until just beyond the week or two that they give you to return it, and started getting problems similar to the last one. Phone would randomly restart, things weren't working, screen was experiencing problems. I called Asurion and they refused to take it back and told me that if I wanted a new phone, they'd void my insurance. After living with it for a few more weeks of frustration, I sent it back.
    Phone 4: There's a loose piece near the microphone that was like that when I received it. They wouldn't do anything about it.

Although they did tell me when I get a new phone, I could get insurance again, so considering the price of a BB Curve, I'm more than likely going to get it. The pain is that they're STILL charging us $5/month for insurance when I've had Phone #4 for at least 4 or 5 months.
    05-09-09 03:12 AM
    One more question.

Last time we got new phones (2 years ago), I wanted the K1M, which required an additional fee and my aunt just took an offered free phone. The CSR (it was at a Circuit City, so an authorized dealer, versus a store) offered to switch the ESNs to give the $50 credit to my new phone versus her free one, but she declined it.

Since I'll most likely have to pay some sort of charge for the BB Curve, if that is indeed offered again, what do I need to request them to do if they can?

Apply the $50 to the BlackBerry after making my phone the primary and then switch the ESNs over via phone later on? Will that at all get messy with the data plan for the Blackberry and no data plans for any other phones on the account? Is it frowned upon? We're both eligible for New Every 2 currently, but before, the primary had an additional $50 credit that I couldn't get as a secondary user.

And finally, if this actually worked, would it void any insurance on the BlackBerry?
    Last edited by themafiagod; 05-09-09 at 04:16 AM.
    05-09-09 04:09 AM
    The easiest way to use the NE2 to your benefit is to order the berry on your primary line and the lower end phone on your secondary line, then once you've activated the handsets on the lines they were ordered on and agreed to your contract then call in and have the equipment changed around...its a bit of a process, but if you have them change the account to reflect your number as the primary line, then you lose the NE2 benefit for 3 months, as your line has to be listed on the account for 90 days as the primary for the benefit to be used
    Last edited by vanilla_guerilla; 05-09-09 at 06:06 AM.
    05-09-09 06:04 AM
    If AIM ends up tied to data, then I don't need a ton of texts, especially with unlimited mobile to mobile, so I'm thinking 1500 for $15 which then means we're only paying an additional 19.99 for me (data + texting), correct?

Currently:
    $25/month for unlimited texting

With BB:
    $29.99/mo for data plan
    $15.00/mo for 1500 texts

Or am I missing something major here?
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

The easiest way to use the NE2 to your benefit is to order the berry on your primary line and the lower end phone on your secondary line, then once you've activated the handsets on the lines they were ordered on and agreed to your contract then call in and have the equipment changed around...its a bit of a process, but if you have them change the account to reflect your number as the primary line, then you lose the NE2 benefit for 3 months, as your line has to be listed on the account for 90 days as the primary for the benefit to be used
    Awesome, thank you.

So just to recap, use the NE2 credit to get the Curve and her new free phone and then once she agrees to the new contract, she needs to call 611 for customer service and get the primary and secondary handsets swapped? Is that just like an insurance activation where it takes roughly 10-30 minutes to complete except we'd go through a person to make sure it's done correctly versus the automated system?

I just want to be clear because my aunt isn't very tech-savvy so I'd like to explain it to her as simply as possible to make it the best chance of it actually going as planned.
    05-09-09 06:38 AM
    ok so i want to shed light on a few questions

all the messenger apps on blackberrys use data not SMS this includes the aim,gtalk,msn,yahoo
    Using the Mobile IM (yahoo.msn,aim) that comes installed on Verizon Blackberrys is not billed as data. its billed the as off network text message
    05-09-09 07:17 AM
    Hi guys,

1. SMS and PIX FLIX is counted as unlimited per your plan...
    AIM and BBM ect is considered data... I dont get chged sms for my IMs or BBMs Im well under my limit every month.
    2. The standard 29.99 BB plan is unlimited data/internet/email/dl ect...
    to add TETHERING as an option for $30 more the internet on your laptop is capped at 5G.
    3. If you have a premium/select or connect plan.. then everyone has unlimited data anyway. If you simply have a select plan; where the entire family group gets unlimited sms. then no... data is for u only.
    4. Insurance is ALWAYS worth it... no matter what phone you have...
    $5.99 gets you 2yr warrenty ( no chg for defect replacements ) and asurian for lost/stolen/water damage... ( been there done that... )
    5. No quarks... I have a BB curve, on a 3 person FT plan... everyone is happy.

GO FOR IT!
    Last edited by heather.law; 05-09-09 at 02:32 PM.
    05-09-09 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD