03-20-09 09:41 PM
31 12
tools
    I just went ahead and bought the LG Versa a couple of days ago, as I was able to convince the manager to allow me to buy it early. The attachable keyboard is nice, but some what awkward combined with how thin it is. I was trying to avoid paying for the data plan, but I am considering trading it back in and paying the restocking fee to grab a storm. Anyone else messed around with the Versa yet, and feel the same way? I was impressed with the LG OS though. The accelerometer and speed of the interface was something I didn't expect.
    Last edited by Pscholls; 03-01-09 at 03:52 PM.
    03-01-09 03:44 PM
    Not sure there are that many out there yet. the device was just released today.
    03-01-09 03:48 PM
    I just saw the thing...Im actually rethinking my storm purchase...I am starting to think I'll never get used to the damn touch/click texting...and for a textaholic...that's a terrible thing.

If i were someone in the professional world...maybe this phone would be great...but as a college student...Im gonna have to give it a thumbs down.

Stick with your versa, IMO.
    03-01-09 10:33 PM
    The versa is a cool phone especially with that attachable keyboard everything is fast too compared to the lg dare its faster plus the acceleramotor recognizes the keyboard on both sides when turned.plus if u ever download any games its going to have a different game pad keyboard to use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 02:43 AM
    The versa is cool phone i am not denying that. Something about the storm even with all of its troubles is appealing.
    03-02-09 04:26 AM
    To me, the LG phones are toys compared to Blackberrys. The icons are very juvenile looking and the phones feel cheaply made.
    03-02-09 10:02 AM
    i have owned several lg's over the years between some of my BB's and they have been amazing i have an orange env i took to ozzfest 2 years ago things got stepped on in a pit and still worked amazing ive always loved lg but they are a totally diff machine compared to BB
    03-02-09 12:16 PM
    It does look nice. I've only seen pictures so far, so I am curious to see how it looks and feels in person. I like the concept though. Lots of people wanted the dare, but were hesitant because of the touchscreen only. I think this phone will appeal to those who like touchscreens and those who aren't sure. If someone buys one and doesn't like the touchscreen, then they use the keyboard. IMO, a simple design to bridge the gap between touchscreens and QWERT keyboard users. Don't get me wrong though, I am still not going to get rid of my BB
    03-02-09 01:40 PM
    I find LG phones to be pretty reliable devices. If you don't fall on one or throw it against a wall.

I do think the Versa is a bit of overkill, as well as an unfortunate name. The name keeps reminding me of the little French-designed oddity made by Nissan. The overkill stems from that strange detachable keyboard. It adds complexity to a device that will probably see 99% of its users never removing the keyboard. The other 1% will be wishing they got a Dare since they keep misplacing the keyboard.

It is an answer to a question no one asked. A good slider/tilt/flip would be much better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 06:32 PM
    here is a good rule of thumb when it comes to Verizon Wireless phones...

if you are looking for a cell phone go with an LG

if you are looking for PDA capabilities go with a BB

i tell my customers this day in and day out...

as far as the Versa goes its what you would get if you threw together a Dare and an EnV2.
    Last edited by SuperDarius; 03-02-09 at 06:34 PM. Reason: mistake
    03-02-09 06:33 PM
    I like the versa, but I agree that the keyboard is a little thin...But the device itself is awesome...
    And i also agree tht the touch/click on the storm is a little hard to get used to
    03-03-09 09:20 AM
    ok well i got to check out a versa for myself yesterday and i hate it! the phonme has to be open to take phone calls so that means keyboard unfolded and sticking out n awkward and the screen is small. i would go with the voyager or dare over the versa but thats just my .02
    03-03-09 10:48 AM
    I just went ahead and bought the LG Versa a couple of days ago, as I was able to convince the manager to allow me to buy it early. The attachable keyboard is nice, but some what awkward combined with how thin it is. I was trying to avoid paying for the data plan, but I am considering trading it back in and paying the restocking fee to grab a storm. Anyone else messed around with the Versa yet, and feel the same way? I was impressed with the LG OS though. The accelerometer and speed of the interface was something I didn't expect.
    You do realize that you are now required to pay for $30 data plan right?
    03-03-09 02:27 PM
    ok well i got to check out a versa for myself yesterday and i hate it! the phonme has to be open to take phone calls so that means keyboard unfolded and sticking out n awkward and the screen is small. i would go with the voyager or dare over the versa but thats just my .02
    I thought the screen for the versa was the same size as the dare. I also thought you didn't need to open the phone to make calls, if that is the case that could be awkward and uncomfortable without bluetooth.
    03-03-09 05:22 PM
    I've had my Storm for a week now and I HATE the touchscreen! Especially the sure-type keyboard. I hate how slow the browser is.

So, I'm taking it back and getting an Omnia instead. Gotta love the 5mp camera!!
    03-04-09 05:24 AM
    if you dont have to open it thatd be a miracle since theres no speaker on the outside that i could see. and no the screen looks similr to the outside voyager screen but thinner. the dare is wider.
    03-04-09 07:51 AM
    You do realize that you are now required to pay for $30 data plan right?
    The unfortunate thing that not a whole lot of people realize yet is that all of Verizon's full html phones will soon REQUIRE a data plan. Its all about the arpu!!!!!
    03-04-09 08:15 AM
    I've had my Storm for a week now and I HATE the touchscreen! Especially the sure-type keyboard. I hate how slow the browser is.

So, I'm taking it back and getting an Omnia instead. Gotta love the 5mp camera!!
    Enjoy the slow Windows Mobile!
    03-04-09 08:36 AM
    I saw the Versa in Bestbuy and didnt know what it was. It is a nice idea with the keyboard but it seems like an extra step that you have to take off the battery cover. It should just attach directly to the phone. If I had it I know I would lose my battery cover somewhere.
    03-04-09 10:54 AM
    It's a girls phone and gimicky, I'm not sure what the **** the target audience is. LG should just have all the different phones i.e. env, voyager, dare. Not all 3 in one.
    03-04-09 08:35 PM

do not get the omnia, seriously. as a rep i see it get returned far too often.
    03-04-09 11:01 PM

All I can say is play around with the Omnia first. I can't say anything about it, but PLEASE make sure that is really what you want to do.

The Versa is a lovely device... it's just not a BlackBerry.
    03-04-09 11:08 PM
    All I can say is play around with the Omnia first. I can't say anything about it, but PLEASE make sure that is really what you want to do.

The Versa is a lovely device... it's just not a BlackBerry.

I've got a Bold, so I didn't totally defect.

I'm liking the Omnia so far. I just did not like the touch/push screen on the Storm, the fact that you can see the light and inside of the phone plus the possibility of dust getting under the screen. I also didn't like the keyboard on the Storm. I had a Pearl a few years ago and got rid of it due to the Sure Type keyboard. HATED IT!!!

For me, the Storm was WAY slow...no I didn't upgrade to a leaked OS but still, Verizon/RIM should've held on releasing the Storm until they had all the kinks worked out...too many for my liking as of right now. I think I'll be happy with the Omnia once I get to playing with it a little more!!
    03-05-09 02:46 AM
    I wound up with the Storm after spending one day with the LG Versa. The screen is tiny and the web browser is only slightly more visible than the one on the trusty Razr I just retired (which means worthless... I never had a data plan on the Moto).

The biggest drawback to the Versa was its incompatibility with Google Sync. I use Google Calendar to sync the Outlook calendars in my office (three) and on my laptops (two). If somebody enters a new appointment on any of them, it syncs with Google and appears on everything else in less than twenty minutes (usually much less, since everything is set to sync every ten minutes).

Another nice plus: the BB seems to allow almost unlimited dialing strings. I use a remote call forwarding service to send my office phone to my cell when there's nobody there; it requires me to dial a local access number, a PIN code, several commands with a # sign, and the number where I want the calls to go. The Storm has no problem with a string of 30 numbers, eight pauses and five # signs.
    03-06-09 12:46 AM
    Hello everyone. First post here..

I work in the IT Field for a large company where a good part of my day revolves around reading/replying to e-mail. Currently I have an 8703e Sprint which will soon be replaced with a Verizon Curve. I also just replaced my personal phone with the new LG Versa. I've been looking/comparing touch phones for some time now and was not too happy until I got to play with the Versa. So far I have to say that I love it. I don't find the attached keyboard to be too awkward while typing. I've also had the opportunity to play with the BB Storm and it wasn't bad, but for anyone who does a lot of e-mail or texting, I think the regular keys like on the Curve or 8703e are much better. One of our telecom guys actually got a Storm and wound up sending it back a few days later because he didn't like typing on it. The Versa is probably the best cell phone I've owned all around, but I would agree the BB is still a better solution for business use. It is nice to see RIM being more creative when it comes to phone design. I could see the Storm drawing a lot of people who normally wouldn't use a BB. I love Verizon's network, but I still say their plans and especially the data plan is overpriced.

Hope this helps anyone who might be considering getting a Versa or Storm...

03-09-09 02:59 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD