08-15-11 07:22 PM
26 12
tools
    I am leaving Verizon and switching to AT&T next month when my contract is up on September 6th. I intend on porting my current number over when I switch.

Can someone suggest what the best way to do this would be so I don't end up paying for the full month of September on Verizon and AT&T as well?

Is there a way to just pay the remaining six days on my VZW contract instead of the full month when my bill comes out in a couple weeks?

Thanks!
    08-06-11 06:49 AM
    Why are you leaving VZW? I find them to be more reliable call strength wise then with at&t. Just my .02

To answer your question, I would do this on the day AFTER your final day of your contract. Please don't confuse your upgrade date and contract expiration date as they are completely different.

So here is what you do. On the day AFTER your contract expiration date, go to your local AT&T store or online. You must have your VZW account number with you, and any billing passwords(Such has a code you use when you call VZW to verify your account other than your SSI #). Then you can go from there. Obviously you will need to give them your existing ### to. Don't forget to bring your driver's lic too as they will need to run a credit check.

(I know all this because I use to work for at&t awhile ago)
    08-06-11 11:45 AM
    Thanks for the reply ptb6744!

I'm mainly leaving due to phone selection. I just find AT&T's phones a lot more appealing. I'm not a fan of the Android OS at all and I dislike iOS's lack of customization.

I am planning on getting the new BlackBerry Torch 2 9810. I want my next phone to be a touchscreen phone but I also want a keyboard as I'm aware (from trying phones in the store) that I can barely type on a touchscreen keyboard. The Bold 9930 is appealing but I'm pretty sure I'd be happier with the larger screen on the Torch 2. I actually considered the HP Pre 3 as well but I just think I'd be happier staying with BlackBerry. I'll try all the phones out in person when they're actually released.

I'm really not happy with Verizon getting rid of a lot of the incentives to keep customers over the last couple years like the new every two discount, early upgrades, unlimited data, etc. I have an iPad 2 with AT&T 3G and I've only had one occassion I've had service with Verizon but not AT&T and that was in the mountains where I had no bars 2G on Verizon.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 08-06-11 at 12:10 PM.
    08-06-11 12:05 PM
    deuces.....
    08-06-11 01:17 PM
    deuces.....
    Eh? I'm not quite sure what you mean by this lol.
    08-06-11 01:19 PM
    If you throw up the deuces, it means "peace out". I actually find a good touchscreen keyboard to be pretty nice. I've heard nothing but bad about AT&T's CS and network. I'm not trying to convince you to stay with Verizon, but to me at least Verizon has decent CS and better network coverage, and the prices are the same. Plus if you kept a smartphone you can keep your unlimited data but if you leave you will never get it back.
    08-06-11 01:30 PM
    If you throw up the deuces, it means "peace out". I actually find a good touchscreen keyboard to be pretty nice. I've heard nothing but bad about AT&T's CS and network. I'm not trying to convince you to stay with Verizon, but to me at least Verizon has decent CS and better network coverage, and the prices are the same. Plus if you kept a smartphone you can keep your unlimited data but if you leave you will never get it back.
    Oh okay. The reference slipped my mind. I'm still going to at least try the new Bold, Torch and Pre 3 on VZW before deciding but I just am trying to figure out how I would go about switching.

My only question left is would there be any way for me to only pay the six days I have left on my contract before porting my number? Or will I get a refund after the number is ported for the remainder of the month?
    08-06-11 01:52 PM
    Isn't Bold 9930 coming to Verizon soon? Good luck with AT&T, you'll need it.
    08-06-11 02:55 PM
    In my area which has 4-5 bars of at&t 3G and the same VZW 3G signal strength.. I dropped 5 calls with the iPhone in a week while I was running for a public office which was completely unacceptable so I switched to VZW and have 1 or 2 in three months! I am just saying that at&t's network, at least with the iPhone needs some work. I know that a lot of people have at&t and have 0 issues with that. I have great success with their CS on the other couple of lines I still have with them.

The smartphone choices have drastically increased over the past 18 mths with Verizon, to the point where at&t can't claim to have the best selection of smartphones anymore. I do agree VZW did take a lot of cool incentives away recently but it's not like at&t is racing to fill that void anytime soon either.

To be honest, I have an iPhone 4 on VZW but the new Blackberry Torch looks really nice. I would like to try it out and hopefully it comes to verizon.

Good luck on your final decision.

Thanks for the reply ptb6744!

I'm mainly leaving due to phone selection. I just find AT&T's phones a lot more appealing. I'm not a fan of the Android OS at all and I dislike iOS's lack of customization.

I am planning on getting the new BlackBerry Torch 2 9810. I want my next phone to be a touchscreen phone but I also want a keyboard as I'm aware (from trying phones in the store) that I can barely type on a touchscreen keyboard. The Bold 9930 is appealing but I'm pretty sure I'd be happier with the larger screen on the Torch 2. I actually considered the HP Pre 3 as well but I just think I'd be happier staying with BlackBerry. I'll try all the phones out in person when they're actually released.

I'm really not happy with Verizon getting rid of a lot of the incentives to keep customers over the last couple years like the new every two discount, early upgrades, unlimited data, etc. I have an iPad 2 with AT&T 3G and I've only had one occassion I've had service with Verizon but not AT&T and that was in the mountains where I had no bars 2G on Verizon.
    08-06-11 11:02 PM
    Had to use att for work. Drops everyday at least once. I'd never leave verizon's rock solid stellar coverage for any phone. Go to t-mobile if you must or heaven forbid the god awful sprint, but att,? never!
    08-06-11 11:12 PM
    As far as BB phones go verizon will have every phone ATT has except for the torch slider. If you really want that phone then yes switch. But consider the difference in networks... As of now in most areas ATT is faster. In 2012 and 2013 Verizon's wide spread 4G will be much faster than ATT's 4G(er 3.5G really) I am sticking with Verizon for this fact alone. In the year to come they will have by FAR a much better network.
    08-07-11 05:53 PM
    He's leaving and I'm leavin sprint 4 VZW-plz don't go-we need u.(cryin) lol!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 09:09 PM
    Get a new number with ATT long enough to try out the service and phone. Do this with 2 weeks left of your Verizon month. If you decide ATT is as bad as everyone says, then return the phone, stay with Verizon, and minimal loss.
    If the service DOES work for you then cancel Verizon, and then port your number to replace the new one.

This is what I did last fall. Unfortunately ATT coverage was lousy everywhere I went so the Torch went back, even though I liked the phone a lot.
    Oh, and then it took 4 months and a dozen phone calls to get ATT to stop billing me. Sheesh what a hassle. Eventually paid them twenty bucks I didn't owe just to make a break. Never again.

08-08-11 12:52 AM
    ATT's large, alluring phone selection is a trap - don't fall for it! I fell for it last year and paid dearly for it. 30% rate of dropped calls and data outages - epic fail!

I did switch to Sprint's Virgin Mobile and I have been very happy with it. Just like when I was on Verizon, service is extremely reliable. However, unlike Verizon, I pay $55 a month for unlimited talk, text and data. If I was on Verizon, I would be paying at least $130 for the same amount of service features.
    08-08-11 02:58 AM
    Remember you are actually paying a month in advance. You can cancel whenever but the easiest would be to port the day your contact is done. You will receive a pro ration back for unused days of service.
    08-08-11 08:03 AM
    I'm not usually one to stray from the original topic, but it should always be signal quality over phone selection. You're pretty much going from best to worst here out of the big 4.
    08-08-11 10:34 AM
    I'm not usually one to stray from the original topic, but it should always be signal quality over phone selection. You're pretty much going from best to worst here out of the big 4.
    +1 I made that exact mistake, going to AT&T for a specific phone and I really regretted it.
    08-08-11 10:39 AM
    I would really think twice about going to AT&T. Their website and ads look really appealing, like they're going to beat the pants off Verizon when you switch but it really isn't true. It's just good marketing. AT&T is so desperate to buy T-Mobile because they know they don't have enough spectrum/coverage on their own to compete with Verizon in the long haul - they have flat out said this. If I were you I'd stick with Verizon.
    08-08-11 11:48 AM
    I agree. Never just go to a carrier for a phone and not signal. Having your favourite phone is useless if you can't use it properly.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    08-08-11 11:48 AM
    If your bent on att, then def take it for a test drive to check it out as was mentioned by a previous poster. Just don't leave verizon until your sure. Also, as mentioned, signal/reception over type of phone always comes first. imho.
    08-08-11 12:13 PM
    Anyone leaving verizon for AT&T is going to regret that move big time! I am honestly shocked that AT&T after all this time is still as bad as they are...it's a shame really...

08-08-11 09:49 PM
    I agree. Never just go to a carrier for a phone and not signal. Having your favourite phone is useless if you can't use it properly.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    Someone I knew went to T-Mobile just because of a phone... Now they can't even get good reception where they live. They're constantly dropping calls where they live & the worst part is that they have to stay with TMO for 2 years.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-09-11 12:15 AM
    Anyone leaving verizon for AT&T is going to regret that move big time! I am honestly shocked that AT&T after all this time is still as bad as they are...it's a shame really...

I live in the middle of nowhere. Litearally. Off a dirt road or two, down a ways, past a barn and a few cows and there's my house. I'm 20 minutes from the nearest town. I see more farm equipment passing by my house than I see cars.

Ex comes out from time to time to help me with the horses and he has AT&T. He has to use my phone just to be able to make calls when he's out at my house and so did my sister when she just had to have that iPhone through AT&T when it first came out.

Stick with what the rest of the posters have said: Try out the network before you jump ship for a new phone. It's not worth it to have a BlackBerry brand paperweight. I like the Torch and almost switched, but remembering what my sister and ex go through when they visit, I couldn't do it. Big Red won out.
    08-09-11 04:04 PM
    I'm thinking of ditching att for vzw. Never had prob till this past april. They took off my 20% discount then I started loosing connection left and right. My torch says, "there was a communications error" and then the web pages doesn't load. Then this past monday I was out of service for 2 hrs. Soooo pissed

08-12-11 03:07 AM
    I live in north Louisiana & suffered with ATT for 3 years. I had heard Verizon (AllTel pre-buyout) was better but stayed because ATT kept assuring me of system upgrades. Only when my dad had an emergency health issue & I found myself driving like a madman down a parish road, where I should have had a good signal yet dropped my calls every 30 seconds, did I ditch ATT. Believe it or not, ATT actually let me out of my contract!

The difference in signal was immediately apparent. No its not perfect but I compare it to now living in the United States versus some third world country....please no jokes about Louisiana, I love it here.

Yes, I really want the 9810 but it isn't happening. Last year I spent a 3 month hitch with an Incredible. Loved the screen, it was a great internet machine and the synthetic keyboard was actually ok. But the device was Incredible-y bad for trying to run a business. Reactivated the old Curve and gave the Incredible to someone needing a phone.

The only good that came from the experience is I know I can live without the physical keyboard. So I'll get the 9850 and run it for a couple of years until RIMM comes out with what will be an updated version of the 9810 that runs on Verizon.

Seriously consider leaving ATT. In metro areas maybe doesn't matter so much. But if you get off the interstates, most areas I've been in Verizon is superior.
    08-12-11 10:43 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD