Any reason I shouldnt go to verizon first off? tmo service is horrible at my house.

Droid? Or what? Im leaving a blackberry 8900, what is the best, latest, and greatest?
    05-19-10 12:57 PM
    Well if you don't want a BB, but still want a smartphone, the Incredible is pretty much the flag-ship. Also, I'm a fan of WebOS, but wish the Pixi had the performance of the Pre...
    05-19-10 01:35 PM
    still looking for a smartphone but no more bb's. whats all the craze about the droid? heard its pretty good for apps and such
    05-19-10 01:41 PM
    The Incredible seems to be pretty popular, it's backordered at the moment though.
    05-19-10 01:44 PM
    The Android OS is great for apps and a great web browsing experience. The BB is good for messaging but for apps and browsing, Android is the one to beat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 01:45 PM
    @mario: totally agree
    05-19-10 01:54 PM
    You can try a phone. If you are not happy with it return it less than thirty days
    05-19-10 03:24 PM
    I love that this is a Blackberry forum and not one of you mentioned getting a Blackberry on the Verizon network LOL.

Yes the Android based phones are great and they are the "new hotness", but Blackberry is still #1 IMO.

If I were you, I would stick it out with T-Mobile for a little bit longer, because the Bold will be coming out on Verizon (HOPEFULLY) within the next few weeks. And it would be best to wait until that phone releases, because that will be the best phone available.
    05-19-10 03:53 PM
    I love that this is a Blackberry forum and not one of you mentioned getting a Blackberry on the Verizon network LOL.

Yes the Android based phones are great and they are the "new hotness", but Blackberry is still #1 IMO.

If I were you, I would stick it out with T-Mobile for a little bit longer, because the Bold will be coming out on Verizon (HOPEFULLY) within the next few weeks. And it would be best to wait until that phone releases, because that will be the best phone available.
    I'm totally partial to BB, but the OP said he didn't want another BB. Otherwise I'd push the Storm2.
    05-19-10 03:56 PM

If I were you, I would stick it out with T-Mobile for a little bit longer, because the Bold will be coming out on Verizon (HOPEFULLY) within the next few weeks. And it would be best to wait until that phone releases, because that will be the best Blackberry available.
    I fixed your post.
    05-19-10 04:01 PM
    I'm totally partial to BB, but the OP said he didn't want another BB. Otherwise I'd push the Storm2.
    Actually he said he was "leaving" a Blackberry. Not he didnt "want" a Blackberry lol.
    05-19-10 04:08 PM
    I fixed your post.
    That didnt take long.

After I read it, I knew someone would correct me! LOL
    05-19-10 04:09 PM
    well, he did say hes not just leaving tmobile, but leaving bb too. i dunno about you but that kind of implies the op does not want another bb.
    05-19-10 05:57 PM
    well, he did say hes not just leaving tmobile, but leaving bb too. i dunno about you but that kind of implies the op does not want another bb.
    CORRECT!! lol You guys take this stuff serious. I have owned several bb's, I have never been impressed with apps or web browsing. I will miss the keyboard.

Anyways, so its between the droid and the incredible. Which one? Other questions. Is there a way around the $30 data package? Can you tether for free?
    05-19-10 08:11 PM
    CORRECT!! lol You guys take this stuff serious. I have owned several bb's, I have never been impressed with apps or web browsing. I will miss the keyboard.

Anyways, so its between the droid and the incredible. Which one? Other questions. Is there a way around the $30 data package? Can you tether for free?
    Which one is up to you. The incredible is obviously the latest and greatest, but the Droid is a very capable phone (even more so when rooted). No, there isn't a way around the data package and yes, you can tether for free.
    05-19-10 08:55 PM

If you're fixated on the Android OS, between the Droid and the Incredible, I'd go Incredible without a hesitation. BUT, if you don't want to wait for the Incredible (they're back ordered to sometime in June), then I'd look at the Eris (it's running OS 2.1 now I think) or Devour (don't know what version OS). I just can't stand that Droid's keyboard...enough that I wouldn't want it.

Other answers to questions: No, you can't avoid the data package. Tethering is not free, you have to pay (and it's another $30). There are unofficial workarounds, but if VZW catches you, they'll nail your bill, hard.

If tethering is that important, then consider the WebOS Palm Pre/Pixi, as VZW is offering free Mifi feature access with those devices. The OS is slick too. Now that Palm is being bought by HP, they aren't necessarily going to wither on the vine anymore either.
    Last edited by Gawain; 05-19-10 at 11:18 PM.
    05-19-10 11:16 PM
    You can select from the New LG Ally coming up soon, the Incredible (backordered) the Devour (Android 1.6 and MotoBlur...) The Droid or the Eris, if you are interested in an Android device.
    05-19-10 11:41 PM
    Im not fixated to anything, yet. The android os was suggested, was my reason.

My main concerns are, web browsing, email, and apps. I would be very partial to the phone that has wifi capability also! Tethering is not highly important, but would like it, for free of course!
    05-20-10 06:48 AM
    If I were you I would have a pretty good idea of what device you want before you take a smartphone out on a 30 day worry free because if you don't like it and return it you will have to pay a $35 restocking fee on VZW.

The "worry free" is no longer worry free on smartphones.

Welcome to Big Red.
    05-20-10 07:11 AM
    just make sure to keep in mind whether you need a world phone verses a CDMA only phone. I really like the incredible but I need a phone with world cabailities and that's one reason (among a few) that I choose blackberry
    05-20-10 08:02 AM
    Currently trying out a Droid, really impressed, super fast, free navigation, etc., etc.. It is an eye-opener! And the onscreen keyboard is good enough that I really don't use the physical keyboard. (I will keep my 9700 because I travel to the UK a lot.)
    05-20-10 08:27 AM
    Im not fixated to anything, yet. The android os was suggested, was my reason.

My main concerns are, web browsing, email, and apps. I would be very partial to the phone that has wifi capability also! Tethering is not highly important, but would like it, for free of course!
    Free tethering? Get the Palm then. The only Droid that has tethering right now is the Incredible and that is definitely not free. It's not free for any phone EXCEPT the Palm phones.
    05-20-10 11:19 AM
    As far as the latest and the greatest, so far here on the boards and from people that I know, is the Droid.
    05-23-10 10:26 PM
    Storm2 is a dead device. Droid has a successor in the works over the next few months. This fall we'll probably see both the Droid2 and Storm3. I'm interested to see how valuable BB 6.0 really is, but until at least September the Incredible is the best phone on VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD