12-27-14 10:28 PM
44 12
tools
    I might be interested in purchasing your Verizon branded z30 if it's in good shape & the price is right , I was going to upgrade when my contract expires but they don't carry it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    What are you doing now that they have z30s again?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 06:20 PM
    What are you doing now that they have z30s again?

Posted via CB10
    I bought one!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 02:05 PM
    You will be back !

Posted via the Crackberry 10 App
    11-02-14 02:09 PM
    I'm the opposite. I left Verizon for the Passport. Comparable service at a slightly cheaper price and I get the phone I want. Why the loyalty? If you're not on the board or have a grandfathered unlimited data plan I'm not sure why you are compromising for the sake of your carrier.

Also, I don't think Verizon would even let you activate a compatible phone on their network because the IMEI isn't in their system. If they did that'd be awesome.

Best of luck though! iPhone is a great device. I just prefer my Passport. :-)

Posted via my gorgeous Passport
    gokulesh and jupiter8 like this.
    11-02-14 06:08 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier. So would require a phone that is CDMA, not just any GSM phone (that would work on at&t or TMO) you would buy from Shop BBerry etc. But it's more complicated than that. Even if you could buy a technically compatible CDMA phone, Verizon will not allow it on their network unless it's branded. In other words it would have to be a CDMA phone, marketed and sold by Verizon.

So, blame BBerry if you want, but if Verizon (and Sprint) would allow any compatible CDMA phones on their network (just the way TMO and at&t do with GSM) they might build one.

In short, BBerry would not build a phone that no one would buy.
    Just so you know...Sprint and Verizon phones will NOT work on each others network. True they are both CDMA, but DIFFERENT frequencies...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    11-22-14 04:50 AM
    Just so you know...Sprint and Verizon phones will NOT work on each others network. True they are both CDMA, but DIFFERENT frequencies...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    I meant, of course... compatible with their own networks -- not each other's. The idea being if BBerry (for example) wanted to produce a phone that was compatible with Sprint or one that was compatible with Verizon, they would work. But since Sprint and Verizon refuse to allow anything but BRANDED phones, that is currently not possible.
    11-22-14 11:56 AM
    BlackBerry can't really make a device to sell to end users on verizon. They do not allow unlocked devices on their network even if the hardware would support it.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 05:10 AM
    I'm the opposite. I left Verizon for the Passport. Comparable service at a slightly cheaper price and I get the phone I want. Why the loyalty? If you're not on the board or have a grandfathered unlimited data plan I'm not sure why you are compromising for the sake of your carrier.

Also, I don't think Verizon would even let you activate a compatible phone on their network because the IMEI isn't in their system. If they did that'd be awesome.

Service. What god is a passport when it doesn't get service?

That's the point!
    12-02-14 05:34 AM
    I agree with the OP on this. I switched to BlackBerry after being an apple user. Love the Q10. Wanted the passport so bad. I am currently looking into returning to apple.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 08:46 PM
    Yes, many of you are missing the OP's point. If you live in the US, outside a major metropolitan area, AT&T and TMO simply do not have reliable coverage. I was a TMO loyalist for a decade (on a variety of Bb devices) but eventually ditched TMO for Verizon simply because I could not get service in many places I travel to for work. Now I have to choose between the service area I need and the device I want. Sadly, much as I want a Passport, I can't risk being stuck by the side of the road with no signal.
    12-09-14 05:24 PM
    So, maybe we Verizon customers will luck out after all. Classic coming in early 2015? May switch back to BlackBerry for good!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 07:12 PM
    Just returned from my Verizon store here in Cypress, California. No BlackBerry devices at all, manager says they must be ordered online.
    12-19-14 06:26 PM
    Not leaving verizon. The classic would have been a great phone in 2011, not in 2015. I think I'll be looking at non BlackBerry phone in 2015 unfortunately!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 07:36 PM
    BS, you may say that TMO coverage is not as good as Verizon outside the cities, but ATT rocks just about everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 11:30 PM
    It should not be a Verizon decision. I will have to look it up but I thought the Fed's implemented a law some time back that a carrier could not refuse to activate a compatible device. Furthermore, even if Verizon did not want to carry/market directly, BlackBerry should still figure out how to get it into the hands of the end users. As I said before, plenty of us would pay retail. The Q10, Z10, and Z30 all have both the 4Glte and CDMA radios. Could not have been that difficult to make a Verizon variant.

Posted via CB10
    You can read up on Verizon winning some 700 MHz spectrum. Which did require them to allow open access. They've managed to skirt it by not making their activation methodology capable of handling non Verizon devices. Foot dragging. As I read it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-25-14 11:46 PM
    Jupiter8, I hope you're right. I'll check the ATT coverage maps. Last time I checked it was still quite a bit behind VZW. But note that even months after being announced as the "exclusive" US carrier for the Passport, ATT does not officially sell or support the device. More evidence that Chen has basically given up on the US market.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 11:47 PM
    Jupiter8, I hope you're right. I'll check the ATT coverage maps. Last time I checked it was still quite a bit behind VZW. But note that even months after being announced as the "exclusive" US carrier for the Passport, ATT does not officially sell or support the device. More evidence that Chen has basically given up on the US market.

Posted via CB10
    I have to admit to being pretty disappointed with TMO. I am near Hampton Roads VA. No issues there. But once I head towards the Outer Banks of NC I drop to Edge and even lose voice coverage at some times. Meanwhile my Verizon line gets strong LTE everywhere. AT&T is sort of between from what I am looking at. Probably LTE most of the time. I might move the Passport to them. Looks like only about a $5/mo price difference vs. my TMO plan.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-26-14 12:38 AM

Service. What god is a passport when it doesn't get service?

That's the point!
    This. Not all carrier networks are equal. Over the years I've had devices on PacBell/AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, MetroPCS, TracFone, StraightTalk, and SureWest. The only networks I will consider anymore are AT&T and Verizon, or any prepaid carrier that uses those two network. I tried T-Mobile again last year just to see if they had improved. No, they're still terrible. Cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Carrier strength varies by region, so what works for some might not work for others... Verizon for me has been the best, but also the most expensive. AT&T has been nearly as good, with almost as much coverage, but noticeably weaker signal strength in some places, and no signal at all in others. But it is slightly cheaper. Between the adequate network, cheaper price, and wide selection of compatible devices, I usually stick with AT&T.

OP, I totally get where you're coming from in regard to sticking with what works (Verizon) rather than jump carriers chasing a phone. If you absolutely have to have a Passport, my advice would be to get a prepaid SIM that uses AT&T's network and give their network a test drive. See if it would work well enough for you.
    12-26-14 12:38 AM
    This. Not all carrier networks are equal. Over the years I've had devices on PacBell/AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, MetroPCS, TracFone, StraightTalk, and SureWest. The only networks I will consider anymore are AT&T and Verizon, or any prepaid carrier that uses those two network. I tried T-Mobile again last year just to see if they had improved. No, they're still terrible. Cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Carrier strength varies by region, so what works for some might not work for others... Verizon for me has been the best, but also the most expensive. AT&T has been nearly as good, with almost as much coverage, but noticeably weaker signal strength in some places, and no signal at all in others. But it is slightly cheaper. Between the adequate network, cheaper price, and wide selection of compatible devices, I usually stick with AT&T.

OP, I totally get where you're coming from in regard to sticking with what works (Verizon) rather than jump carriers chasing a phone. If you absolutely have to have a Passport, my advice would be to get a prepaid SIM that uses AT&T's network and give their network a test drive. See if it would work well enough for you.
    Thanks. I am hoping the Classic will at least come to Verizon as rumored. Would like a new BlackBerry. The iPhone 6 has been great, even the battery, but I sure would like a new BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 10:28 PM
44 12