12-27-14 11:28 PM
44 12
tools
    I have been a Blackberry users for as long as I can remember. I have used the Q10 as my daily driver and have the Z10 and Z30 in my desk drawer to switch over to from time to time. Each have their problems but the Q10 :as always been my favorite. I have always also carried an iPhone as my secondary device to do certain tasks requiring a bigger screen. The iPhone had its own issues that made the Blackberry the primary device of choice. Have always hated carrying two devices though. I was anxiously awaiting the Passport to solve the problem and make me more productive in my various businesses (architect, security consultant, forensic investigator, freelance photographer). Given the it will not be released on Verizon, I have opted for the iPhone 6 given that many things have been improved. I refuse to switch carriers. If you have no service then it doesn't matter what phone you have. People want to make this a Verizon issue. I disagree. Blackberry should just make a compatible device and sell it direct to end users. Many of us would pay full retail. The decision not to put this device in the hands of the end users shows no loyalty to those supporting Blackberry. I certainly will miss my keyboard and the Blackberry OS but, I will not miss carrying two devices. The iPhone 6 seems to handle it all fairly well. Best regards Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 11:10 PM
    Well that's to bad, but hey what ever floats your boat.

"Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew "
    10-09-14 11:12 PM
    You'll be back. I have returned. Twice.

Posted via CB10
    nico2004 and DiegoV_G like this.
    10-09-14 11:20 PM
    Only if my iPhone 6 breaks....or bends

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 11:32 PM
    Even if BlackBerry manufactured the passport with a CDMA chip it still wouldn't work on Verizon. At least not without going through crazy hoops. Can't really blame BlackBerry for not building the phone if Verizon won't support them.

But to each there own. I have an iPhone 5 and was extremely happy to get rid of it after only 8 months of using it.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:09 AM
    Yeah, it's tough. It's hard to blame you, but you can't blame BlackBerry either. They gave Verizon exclusivity on the Z30 and built them a special model. In the end, Verizon did nothing to endorse it.

It's just an unfortunate case of companies not being able to agree on anything, in this case radio bands.

Best of luck with the iPhone. Hopefully we'll see you back on Team BlackBerry in the future. Like, maybe, when you trade your iPhone for a Passport?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:17 AM
    Does Verizon require something special in the phone that's unique to them?

I thought an unlocked Passport from BlackBerry should work.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 09:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Verizon uses different radio bands than everyone else, and expects everyone to make special versions of their phones that incorporate their radios.

I think BlackBerry did the math on cost vs. sales and figured it wasn't worth it.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-12-14 09:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier. So would require a phone that is CDMA, not just any GSM phone (that would work on at&t or TMO) you would buy from Shop BBerry etc. But it's more complicated than that. Even if you could buy a technically compatible CDMA phone, Verizon will not allow it on their network unless it's branded. In other words it would have to be a CDMA phone, marketed and sold by Verizon.

So, blame BBerry if you want, but if Verizon (and Sprint) would allow any compatible CDMA phones on their network (just the way TMO and at&t do with GSM) they might build one.

In short, BBerry would not build a phone that no one would buy.
    10-12-14 11:44 AM
    Wrong. Verizon is the biggest carrier in the US and would certainly have more users, both corporate and consumer for the Passport, than any other here. Also, CDMA is used by over 40 carriers worldwide, ND in plenty of countries where BlackBerry already has a presence. BlackBerry and Verizon are missing out big time without the Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-13-14 11:23 AM
    Wrong. Verizon is the biggest carrier in the US and would certainly have more users, both corporate and consumer for the Passport, than any other here. Also, CDMA is used by over 40 carriers worldwide, ND in plenty of countries where BlackBerry already has a presence. BlackBerry and Verizon are missing out big time without the Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Wrong about what? Why would BBerry build a CDMA off-contract phone for Verizon (or Sprint) if these carriers will not allow their use? Having a CDMA phone means nothing if you cannot use it. Verizon has to make the first move and order a branded phone. Maybe, down the road, they will.

As far as those "40 world wide carriers"... even if some of them allowed an unbranded CDMA phone on their network, Verizon still won't. So? A few CDMA carriers (primarily in China) will allow other carrier's CDMA phones through the use of a RUIM card (much like a SIM). But the phone must be designed to use it and, of course, carriers allow it.
    10-13-14 12:02 PM
    For the same reasons I'm leaving BlackBerry for the Note 4

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:08 PM
    There is just one iPhone 6 that works on all carriers, right Right?
    10-13-14 12:41 PM
    There is just one iPhone 6 that works on all carriers, right Right?
    According to this article there are six versions.

iPhone 6 Models (A1549, A1586, A1589, A1522, A1524 and A1593) Differences

BTW, and this does not yet apply to BBerry phones, apparently when Verizon established its voLTE band it was required by the rules of acquisition, to allow off-contract phones to use that (GSM) band. So, this means if you have a voLTE capable phone (I presume using IMS) you could go over to Verizon and use that band.

My TMO Z10 uses IMS for wifi-calling and could use it for voLTE, but at this time TMO has not allowed it, apparently. Though maybe someone with a Verizon branded BBerry phone could check?
    10-13-14 01:23 PM
    It should not be a Verizon decision. I will have to look it up but I thought the Fed's implemented a law some time back that a carrier could not refuse to activate a compatible device. Furthermore, even if Verizon did not want to carry/market directly, BlackBerry should still figure out how to get it into the hands of the end users. As I said before, plenty of us would pay retail. The Q10, Z10, and Z30 all have both the 4Glte and CDMA radios. Could not have been that difficult to make a Verizon variant.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 09:35 PM
    It should not be a Verizon decision. I will have to look it up but I thought the Fed's implemented a law some time back that a carrier could not refuse to activate a compatible device. Furthermore, even if Verizon did not want to carry/market directly, BlackBerry should still figure out how to get it into the hands of the end users. As I said before, plenty of us would pay retail. The Q10, Z10, and Z30 all have both the 4Glte and CDMA radios. Could not have been that difficult to make a Verizon variant.

Posted via CB10
    Actually BlackBerry tested a cdma model for Verizon but Verizon didn't want it so they gave at&t exclusive. And the reason Verizon only allows phones that are in the system has something to do with the type of network because sprint also requires the phones to be in their system

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    10-14-14 10:17 PM
    Good luck. Me I am the other way. No way I would let carrier dictate what I can or cannot use.

When Rogers didn't carry z30 initially, I got a line with bell.

I love my freedom, it's too precious to be traded away.

Posted via CB10
    pomidor likes this.
    10-14-14 10:33 PM
    Good luck. Me I am the other way. No way I would let carrier dictate what I can or cannot use...
    I love my freedom, it's too precious to be traded away...
    ^This^

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1052
    10-14-14 11:11 PM
    I have 18 lines.

8 Smartphones
    8 Dumb phones
    2 Wifi devices.

I am at least moving my phone to AT&T to test their service in my travel areas.

I have touched the passport and used it for a couple of days...

EDIT: and need have it again. I guess I am in the minority of people in the US that actually uses their phone for WORK. US Carriers don't care about our demographic.

Sorry for the late edit. Got sidetracked last night.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 10-15-14 at 07:02 PM.
    10-15-14 12:08 AM
    Verizon will not activate a non Verizon device for you on their network. BlackBerry making a compatible Passport would not get passed that.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    10-15-14 12:11 AM
    Verizon will not activate a non Verizon device for you on their network. BlackBerry making a compatible Passport would not get passed that.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. This is the big issue. There are no "off-contract" CDMA phones because neither Sprint nor Verizon will allow them on their networks, even if compatible. And the "cell law" everyone keeps referring to simply allows a user to unlock his branded phone and go to another carrier -- it does NOT required another carrier to allow that phone. With GSM carriers this is not an issue, with CDMA is THE issue.
    southlander likes this.
    10-15-14 11:48 AM
    One of the reason Verizon may have passed on the Passport is because of the sales figures of the Z10, Q10, and Z30 (to a lesser degree). Verizon has made a business decision in only trying to carry Blackberry devices that they think their stores can sale and are not willing to take a risk on another new blackberry device. Verizon will more than likely carry the Classic because the Blackberry 9930 is going eol sometime this year (I have seen it on Verizon business document) and I believe that Blackberry is the only smartphone maker that will be offering a non-camera option on a smartphone.
    10-15-14 06:10 PM
    Non camera verizon passport plz

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 11:56 AM
    Are they going to carry the Classic??
    10-21-14 05:39 PM
    I have been a Blackberry users for as long as I can remember. I have used the Q10 as my daily driver and have the Z10 and Z30 in my desk drawer to switch over to from time to time. Each have their problems but the Q10 :as always been my favorite. I have always also carried an iPhone as my secondary device to do certain tasks requiring a bigger screen. The iPhone had its own issues that made the Blackberry the primary device of choice. Have always hated carrying two devices though. I was anxiously awaiting the Passport to solve the problem and make me more productive in my various businesses (architect, security consultant, forensic investigator, freelance photographer). Given the it will not be released on Verizon, I have opted for the iPhone 6 given that many things have been improved. I refuse to switch carriers. If you have no service then it doesn't matter what phone you have. People want to make this a Verizon issue. I disagree. Blackberry should just make a compatible device and sell it direct to end users. Many of us would pay full retail. The decision not to put this device in the hands of the end users shows no loyalty to those supporting Blackberry. I certainly will miss my keyboard and the Blackberry OS but, I will not miss carrying two devices. The iPhone 6 seems to handle it all fairly well. Best regards Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    I might be interested in purchasing your Verizon branded z30 if it's in good shape & the price is right , I was going to upgrade when my contract expires but they don't carry it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:50 PM
44 12