WOW! Lets where this one goes.

Law Suit
    02-26-10 01:39 PM
    Won't be hard to prove if someone actually got on the mobile web, browsed ringtones, etc. to give the charge some validity or lack their of.
    02-26-10 02:05 PM
    This was waiting to happen. Even though VZW reverses these charges, there is no easy way to block them, that in and of itself is a fail.
    02-26-10 02:22 PM
    This is dumb and Verizon makes it perfectly clear that the download of certain/ most iteams entail data, they even make sure you know that before you confirm the purchase. They let you know if your plan does not include data then you incur fees. People just want something for free. Besides Verizon is sooooooooo smart this is already waived in their contract/ customer agreement!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 02:23 PM
    I really think this might be answered in the terms and agreements aka the CONTRACT as mentioned by Shorty.

However, there is so many tracking tools VZW uses... it won't be hard to bring those up and provide insight to this.
    02-26-10 02:25 PM
    Even low level CSRs can see when the data was used.

This lawsuit is fail.
    02-26-10 03:36 PM
    Class action lawyers are the scum of the earth. Anyone who participates in this lawsuit will probably get back $0.25 for every $1.99 they were improperly charged. If there are 30 million customers who each got charged for 20 instances of being charged $1.99 then each would receive less than $5.00. The scumbags on the other hand would make over $1 billion.
    Now take a guess at how Verizon will come up with the money to pay for an adverse judgment.
    Anyhow, I don't believe it will fly.
    02-27-10 12:27 AM
    Verizon does not improperly charge anyway. They are the "tightest" as far as restrictions and monitoring so I doubt the suit will even get anywhere!

02-27-10 09:10 AM
    There were many phones that when you pushed a directional arrow it would bring up the web and it wouldn't bring up the free page or warn you about it. I believe it was the up arrow on my old chocolate two. Always got charged 1.99 for it

02-27-10 10:10 AM
    There were many phones that when you pushed a directional arrow it would bring up the web and it wouldn't bring up the free page or warn you about it. I believe it was the up arrow on my old chocolate two. Always got charged 1.99 for it

That's the issue.

On the other hand the judge could decide it's not a class action lawsuit, just a lawsuit.
    02-27-10 10:36 AM
    Their called big tort lawyers, they make bookoo bucks their only in it for themselves they don't help people just harm them and the economy, a lot of states have made it illegal because its basically a big scam that's legal because they know the law and find ways around it

Its sad what the world has come too

02-27-10 11:02 AM

You can go into the settings and change what each directional arrow goes to.
    02-27-10 07:43 PM
    You can go into the settings and change what each directional arrow goes to.
    Yes, but many do not know this.
    02-27-10 08:14 PM
    Thats why VZW would credit an accident or two. Also one should learn their device.
    02-27-10 08:53 PM
    Ignorance is not grounds for a class-action.
    02-27-10 09:25 PM
    Ignorance is not grounds for a class-action.
    True, it is not a good reason and it was refunded the first time I accessed it, I then reprogrammed the button and never had an issue with it again. The point I was trying to make is that you would think vzw would pre-program the button so that it would open something else instead of the web to avoid whole the mess. They wouldn't have to give as many credits then for such a long period of time.
    02-27-10 09:54 PM
    True, it is not a good reason and it was refunded the first time I accessed it, I then reprogrammed the button and never had an issue with it again. The point I was trying to make is that you would think vzw would pre-program the button so that it would open something else instead of the web to avoid whole the mess. They wouldn't have to give as many credits then for such a long period of time.
    Because believe it or not, people actually use that button on purpose. And I'm fairly certain that VZW phones are not the only phones to have some sort of web hotkey.

IMO, cell phones are like hotel rooms. Your room rate is to sleep in the room at night, take a bath, and watch the TV. Up until recently, the data features were like the little mini-fridge filled with candy and booze. The hotel may not put the price in an easy-to-find spot, but everybody knows you have to pay for them if you take them.

However, enough people's kids ate the candy that the "hotel" had two choices: Charge everybody and make it a required part of the package, or just remove it forever because it was too annoying to deal with. Currently, VZW appears to have gone with both solutions by requiring data plans on most "good" phones and removing EVDO from the simpler phones.

That said, I think a "warning" page like they had in the America's Choice days would have been nice...
    02-28-10 02:08 PM

You can press that hot key web arrow every day for a month and I bet you don't see a charge for it. Navigate away from the home page and boom get hit with charges. the home page programmed as default is a vzw page!
    03-01-10 03:22 PM
    It's sad that it has to come to this, as I think its unnecessary, but it is a bit of a scam, but a legal one at that. You access the internet, you use data, you pay for the data. You have the option of purchasing a data plan or paying as you go, its all laid out, its not really a surprise. The problem is some people accidentally hit the wrong button. Who's fault is that though? Besides, as far as I know, if you call VZW and explain it, they are usually more than willing to credit you the accidental data charges.

OTOH, It'd be nice to see Verizon puts in a safeguard, to turn off data from automatically being used for those who opt not to get a data-plan so as to not accidentally get billed when hitting the wrong button.
    03-01-10 11:01 PM
    The problem is some people accidentally hit the wrong button. Who's fault is that though?
    I blame the button pushing fairies. They do that crap all the time. I had 3.98 in data charges because they sit there and press my buttons all day.
    03-02-10 03:13 AM
    It's sad that it has to come to this, as I think its unnecessary, but it is a bit of a scam, but a legal one at that. You access the internet, you use data, you pay for the data. You have the option of purchasing a data plan or paying as you go, its all laid out, its not really a surprise. The problem is some people accidentally hit the wrong button. Who's fault is that though? Besides, as far as I know, if you call VZW and explain it, they are usually more than willing to credit you the accidental data charges.

OTOH, It'd be nice to see Verizon puts in a safeguard, to turn off data from automatically being used for those who opt not to get a data-plan so as to not accidentally get billed when hitting the wrong button.
    So it's a scam bc it is listed in your contract... there is a known usage fee of doing it and there are plenty of options as to how to not have this "accident" occur. There are plenty of safeguards... change your hot key, add a data plan to your account, block data on your phone, etc.

So accidentally hitting the wrong button no longer works for me as a reason to why you have data charges. One time I will say hmm ok. I go by this motto... fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me!
    03-02-10 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD