Looking at the current crop of BlackBerrys, you have four keyboard choices: Pearl, Curve, Storm & Tour/Bold. If you're new to this lineup, here are some things to consider.

Pearl
    In its original form, a good looking, nicely built little phone - a cross between a candy bar phone & a smartphone, doing neither very well. But oh my - that keyboard! An abomination of a T9 setup, with something known as SureType, it isn't intuitive, nor easy to learn. If you never got the hang of T9, you'll never be adept with this thing.

And, is it just me or is that new Pearl Flip one of the five ugliest phones of all time?

Curve
    Overall, a nice design, with some horrible errors that plague all BlackBerrys. The most obvious of these errors is a dedicated $ key, but two presses for a period. Which will you use more frequently? Yes, there is AutoText, but that doesn't work in all applications. Prolonged use of this phone, as a phone, will leave you with a waffle-cheek.

LEGGO MY EGGO!

Storm
    What can I say that hasn't been said before? This attempt at merging an iPhone with a BlackBerry mimic neither very well. The virtual keyboard technology, called SurePress is nowhere near as sure as regular keyboards or even the iPhone. Leaving one on the seat of a hot car before making a phone call will leave your cheek looking like you tried to use a hot iron when calling your main squeeze.

Tour/Bold
    Similar to the ubiquitous Curve series, this "improvement" to the keyboard isn't one at all. Giving up function for form, these phones push the keys together, in single waves for each row. The rows are separated by unmovable chrome bars. Yet this phone will leave an impression on your skin, much like the Curves - oddly, it is best suited for adolescents with braces on their teeth, as the impression resembles train tracks. Now you will have proof that your teen appears to have a big mouth.

Gives all-new meaning to the term Hey Brace-Face!

And that, my friends, is that. Make your decision knowing you'll have to stick with it for the next one to two years.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 09-13-09 at 08:02 PM.
    09-13-09 07:56 PM
    Twins... I have to admit that I enjoy reading most of your post... they almost always make me smile. ;-)
    09-13-09 08:43 PM
    Braceface. Hilarious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 12:06 AM
    Braceface? Now we know what twins was called as a child. Lol

09-16-09 12:53 AM
    Lol, great stuff. But I am forced to put my opinion in. Of all these keyboards, I have to say that the Bold/Tour is the best RIM has put on a BlackBerry.
    09-16-09 01:04 AM
    Personally, I can't stand it. Nothing but a stylized 8830 keyboard. New phone, old tech.

09-16-09 01:48 AM
    That new Bold-style keyboard is one of the things that has me thinking about holding on to my 8330 throughout my entire 2-year contract and not shifting to the Tour. I play with that Tour keyboard everytime I wander by one in Best Buy or at a kiosk at the mall, but for some reason, I just can't quite get it to work comfortably for me...
    09-16-09 01:18 PM
    as much as people either love or hate the bold/tour keyboard i am still in love with my 8330.
    they dont feel as well made but i can actually feel what keys i am hitting without looking down at the phone.
    09-16-09 02:15 PM
    Personally, I can't stand it. Nothing but a stylized 8830 keyboard. New phone, old tech.
    That new Bold-style keyboard is one of the things that has me thinking about holding on to my 8330 throughout my entire 2-year contract and not shifting to the Tour. I play with that Tour keyboard everytime I wander by one in Best Buy or at a kiosk at the mall, but for some reason, I just can't quite get it to work comfortably for me...
    as much as people either love or hate the bold/tour keyboard i am still in love with my 8330.
    they dont feel as well made but i can actually feel what keys i am hitting without looking down at the phone.
    I am with all three of you on the Tour/Bold keyboard. It feels chintzy & is difficult to use. Maybe if I had slender, feminine fingers, it wouldn't be so bad, but it still wouldn't have the quality feel of a Curve or an LG/Samsung multimedia phone.

I am not even thrilled with the way it looks. Definitely form over function.

After tonight, especially, I am downgrading my opinion of the Tour even further.

09-20-09 05:56 AM
    Here is what happened tonight...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/hot-tour-318913/

Now it is back to bed.

09-20-09 05:58 AM
    Anyone have a Tour get hot?

I know I haven't. Until tonight.

Sitting on my desk, with a dozen other phones, it laid there dormant, with power on.

Smelled the distinct odor of an electrical problem. Checked the phones that were on chargers - all okay. Checked the computer. No issues there. Laptops, check. Next to the last thing I picked up was the Tour. It was red-hot - the plastic on the back warped & partially stuck to the glass mat.

Don't know how far it would have gone, but had it been on a combustible surface, I might have had a serious problem.

A lesson - never leave a rechargeable device in a pocket or on a bed.

Sorry to hear that Twins, I'm glad it wasn't on any combustible surfaces too. G'night!

Thnx, Tripster

09-20-09 06:12 AM
    Nice post Twinz. Considering me being female... at least the last time my bf checked... LMAO... I like my curve keypad. I have small hands and it works well; as long as I dont cut my thumb nails.
    09-20-09 07:42 AM
    Twinz,

Pearl - Suretype is the fastest you'll ever type, error free on a phone. I'll race you on my old 8130. For the fat thumbed, it's actually one of the larger keyboards. If I could stomach Verizon, their inferior overpriced service, and abusive customer service, I would have gotten a Pearl Flip.

Curve - It's a business phone, a dedicated currency key is a good thing, need a period? Use a double space, the BB OS replaces the first space with a period for you, it's the same number of presses as period space. If your typing numbers, the alt is already held or numlocked and the period is available. Waffle cheek? Come on, if you hold the phone that hard to your face, your going to press the disconnect button long before waffle cheek sets in.

Sadly, I can't fault you on the Storm or the Tour.

Let's spread the love a bit.

How about them WinMob phones, things like worse voice recognition then a $25.00 LG prepaid phone, user hostile interface, that requires a third party wrapper to ALMOST function as a phone. An OS that reboots 4 and 5 times a day, making weekly battery pulls look quaint.

Maybe Android? Phone OS produced by the company that PERFECTED the perpetual Beta Test, yeah, they can't give Linux desktops away, lets try putting it in a phone.

Palm - The Pre makes a good cheese cutter, but they haven't run out of Centro keyboards because they're apparently recycling them in the Pre, has the Palm App store actually sold anything?

Motorola, phones only an engineer could love, with menus that require an engineering degree to decipher.

Apple and IPhone - Security, of course our products are secure, our 2% of the market has never had any security problems with their comic book collections, and to prove it, we'll release an update that exposes the true encryption ability of our products, so you can't get your Mail anymore.

Apple Products are designed for Elitist Dorks, by Dorks who spend more on Advertising then Engineering. Hey, wonder if the guys at Verizon Ever worked for Jobs?
    09-20-09 04:19 PM
    LMAO! Thats awsome...
    09-21-09 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD