So on New Year's Eve my phone took a tragic dive into a toilet. (It fell out of my back pocket.) Even though I got the battery out in seconds and had it in a box of rice within minutes, where it has been sitting for 2 and a half days, it did not survive. (It won't recognize the battery. Or it just sits with a red light and a black screen.)

My upgrade date is not until the very end of July 2010. As a long shot I called Verizon to see if there was ANYTHING at all that could be done. Now, I don't have an expensive plan. In fact, I have the least expensive plan I can get, with only 500 texts and the data plan. So, when she told me that after speaking with her supervisor, she was going to let me upgrade early, with a one year contract renewal, I was overjoyed.

She was wonderful. Very nice, and even chatted with me a bit. I am now being sent a new 8530 in purple for the one year price. It's also being billed to my account, so I don't have to worry that I don't have the 250 NOW! Not to mention the 100 dollar rebate I get.

I don't know if this is norm, as I have never dealt this closely with customer service. But it pretty much has made my day.

So that you all of those who work to help people like me. I really, really appreciate it. ^_^
    01-03-10 10:16 PM
    That's great! Good to hear a happy experience.
    01-03-10 10:34 PM
    Glad to hear you're getting a new phone. Verizon Reps have always treated me well when I needed help with a problem. (And get a hip holster......you may look like a dork, but your phone stays dry!)
    01-03-10 10:35 PM
    Very cool. Ive been an AT&T customer for 5 years, and asked for an early upgrade only about 40 days before my next upgrade was due and they absolutely would not let me do it without a $75 early UG fee. You lucked out.
    01-03-10 10:37 PM
    Good to hear!
    01-03-10 10:58 PM
    I think this is awesome for you. AND might I suggest you get insurance. I have never had ins on a device before but since I have a BB I decided to get the ins.
    I am glad to have it too cause if it were to get wet or stolen, I would be covered.
    Verizon does give yrly upgrades but the price isn't as good as new every two. So you are very lucky to still get 100 rebate as well. Now you know it will be on your next bill you will have time to get it together. If you have a prob call them and they will try and work with you.
    01-03-10 11:01 PM
    Its not the norm but often Verizon will do it for folks without insurance. What you actually get is the 1 year price but you sign a 2 year contract. Very reasonable because technically they can make you wait or charge you full retail. I had them give me this deal once too back in the day when I left a phone in a taxi cab.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-10 11:02 PM
    I think this is awesome for you. AND might I suggest you get insurance. I have never had ins on a device before but since I have a BB I decided to get the ins.
    I am glad to have it too cause if it were to get wet or stolen, I would be covered.
    Verizon does give yrly upgrades but the price isn't as good as new every two. So you are very lucky to still get 100 rebate as well. Now you know it will be on your next bill you will have time to get it together. If you have a prob call them and they will try and work with you.
    Oh I am definitely DEFINITELY getting insurance! haha. If I hadn't taken two months to realized I didn't like my LG Voyager when I first signed with Verizon then would have had a phone with insurance to begin with. (FAIL there. haha.)

I'm also excited to get a phone that is purple, since that is my favorite color!
    01-03-10 11:08 PM
    Its not the norm but often Verizon will do it for folks without insurance. What you actually get is the 1 year price but you sign a 2 year contract. Very reasonable because technically they can make you wait or charge you full retail. I had them give me this deal once too back in the day when I left a phone in a taxi cab.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Whatever they did, it works for me. I would have willingly upgraded on my actual upgrade date regardless. I like Verizon a lot. The reps at the store I go to are amazingly nice, and this first time experience with their customer service (plus the one on new years eve at 3am where they helped me activate my other phone!) will stick for a long time.

I was expecting them to tell me I would need to pay full retail price.
    01-03-10 11:12 PM
    So on New Year's Eve my phone took a tragic dive into a toilet. (It fell out of my back pocket.) Even though I got the battery out in seconds and had it in a box of rice within minutes, where it has been sitting for 2 and a half days, it did not survive. (It won't recognize the battery. Or it just sits with a red light and a black screen.)

My upgrade date is not until the very end of July 2010. As a long shot I called Verizon to see if there was ANYTHING at all that could be done. Now, I don't have an expensive plan. In fact, I have the least expensive plan I can get, with only 500 texts and the data plan. So, when she told me that after speaking with her supervisor, she was going to let me upgrade early, with a one year contract renewal, I was overjoyed.

She was wonderful. Very nice, and even chatted with me a bit. I am now being sent a new 8530 in purple for the one year price. It's also being billed to my account, so I don't have to worry that I don't have the 250 NOW! Not to mention the 100 dollar rebate I get.

I don't know if this is norm, as I have never dealt this closely with customer service. But it pretty much has made my day.

So that you all of those who work to help people like me. I really, really appreciate it. ^_^
    You were genuine, sincere and honest in your approach of the situation, and it got you results.
    01-04-10 02:57 AM
    This is indeed good to hear. I've had nothing but helpful, knowledgeable Verizon reps both on the phone and in-store. Being polite and reasonable always helps!
    01-06-10 11:24 PM
    I have always had good experiences with the Verizon reps. Glad they made your day.
    01-06-10 11:43 PM
    Glad to hear it. They have done the same for me as well. No the price wasn't as good as the NE2 but I got the rebate which helped and they billed it to my account as well. Never had a situation where there were not willing to work with me. Wish I could say the same for my local store!
    01-07-10 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD