09-04-09 03:08 PM
31 12
tools
    Verizon has a two for one deal going on for the Tour. I'm planning on upgrading and giving the spare phone to my 14 yr old daughter who needs a new phone as well. I want to keep her just on a phone and text plan though for cost reasons and she really doesn't need it. Will it work?
    09-04-09 09:30 AM
    They won't let you activate it that way I'm pretty sure. BIS is required at the very least at $30 a month.
    09-04-09 09:44 AM
    Short answer no, you have to have the BB data plan on any smart phone , using a BB for just phone and text isn't the best choice.

If you want just phone and text then you need to get a dumb phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 09:46 AM
    i think you need the data plan for text messaging on blackberrys
    09-04-09 10:14 AM
    i dont think so... since i have to pay for sms separately... just my thoughts, nothing to back up the statement
    09-04-09 10:28 AM
    Depends what network you're on. With AT&T you don't need a data plan, but with verizon you can't use a berry without a data plan.

So texting has nothing to do with the data plan.

09-04-09 10:29 AM
    All VZW BB's require a data plan. No way around that, and it does not cover text messages.

BTW....ATT is about to make data plans mandatory as well.
    09-04-09 10:37 AM
    I eventually see all carriers making data plans mandatory.
    09-04-09 10:56 AM
    Depends what network you're on. With AT&T you don't need a data plan, but with verizon you can't use a berry without a data plan.

So texting has nothing to do with the data plan.

Better check again about ATT, effective this month they are now requiring data plans as well.
    09-04-09 11:31 AM
    Bottom line being... Any Blackberry with a verizon stamp on it has to have a data plan no matter what. Its been discussed before.
    09-04-09 11:39 AM
    NO............

09-04-09 11:50 AM
    LOL I was waiting for someone....
    09-04-09 12:12 PM
    Maybe this will be one of the areas that the FCC will investigate. Frankly, the phone should be available for whatever use one wants it for. At one time the 8830 was one of the few reasonable phones with a full qwerty keyboard that could be used overseas - some folks might have wanted that without all of the other BB frills.

Now I can see where Verizon might not be willing to sell "two for one" pricing since there would be no data. But I believe that BB's should be available without data for those who want them.

Maybe I will drop a line to the FCC.
    09-04-09 01:21 PM
    I think any phone that is sold with a subsidy should be required to have a data plan for the duration of the contract. After the contract or if you provide your own equipment it seems like that should be an option to run it without a data plan. Just my .02

Personally I think its a little silly to have a smartphone without data when there's nice dumbphones like the Env3 available but whatever.

09-04-09 01:34 PM
    Maybe this will be one of the areas that the FCC will investigate. Frankly, the phone should be available for whatever use one wants it for. At one time the 8830 was one of the few reasonable phones with a full qwerty keyboard that could be used overseas - some folks might have wanted that without all of the other BB frills.

Now I can see where Verizon might not be willing to sell "two for one" pricing since there would be no data. But I believe that BB's should be available without data for those who want them.

Maybe I will drop a line to the FCC.

You do that, I'm sure they've never heard of this before.
    09-04-09 01:34 PM
    Really if you take the data away from a BB or any smart phone then what good is it? Most if not all of the non data functions on them can be had on a better "dumb" phone. The newer EnV series phones are nice and come either with qwerty keyboards or touch screens or both (env touch).

To the OP. Is it still a BOGO or is it the promotion where you can get something else that was listed on here before. Maybe a rep would know what the current promotion is. Getting the free berry would be nice but if you don't want the expense of an extra data plan you would need to get something else.
    09-04-09 01:42 PM

Personally I think its a little silly to have a smartphone without data when there's nice dumbphones like the Env3 available but whatever.

This is all that matters. Some say that a bb is a full qwerty and thats why they like it for txting and such when its really for email and business needs. No point in having a bb without a data plan. Period.
    09-04-09 01:43 PM
    09-04-09 01:48 PM
    Maybe this will be one of the areas that the FCC will investigate. Frankly, the phone should be available for whatever use one wants it for.
    Wow - what government entity should I complain to about the fact Lingenfelter refused to build my ZR-1 with offroad capabilities & a 4 cylinder engine?

Maybe while you're hitting up the FCC, find out why I have to buy blocks of calling minutes instead of minutes at a time. Then you can complain to the USDA - I really want to buy milk & cheese at Home Depot or Bank of America.

Less government, not more.

09-04-09 01:49 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/bla...a-plan-267986/
    Lets not beat this dead horse again.
    Thank you - by now that dead horse is on some dinner table in France.

09-04-09 02:09 PM
    Really if you take the data away from a BB or any smart phone then what good is it?
    So anyone can buy a phone and make themselves appear to be worth the data plan that they're too cheap to pay for.

It's all an "image" or fad for most. An Env Touch is just too childish in their eyes.
    09-04-09 02:19 PM
    You do that, I'm sure they've never heard of this before.
    They may have heard it before but they are now apparently looking at the industry again.

As another poster said, while subsidized, I can see requiring a Data plan - after that, it should be up to the user. For instance, in the current economy, folks may not have funds to purchase a new phone and would like to keep their current BB but also would like to save another $30/month by dropping data - that should be an option.

Obviously, there will be those who disagree.
    09-04-09 02:22 PM
    It should be... but its not nor will it be.
    09-04-09 02:23 PM
    Wow - what government entity should I complain to about the fact Lingenfelter refused to build my ZR-1 with offroad capabilities & a 4 cylinder engine?

Maybe while you're hitting up the FCC, find out why I have to buy blocks of calling minutes instead of minutes at a time. Then you can complain to the USDA - I really want to buy milk & cheese at Home Depot or Bank of America.

Less government, not more.

You are entitled to your opinions and you may freely express them. And maybe the FCC will check on "packages" of minutes. I'm sure you want drug companies to foist whatever they want on the public - god forbid someone like "govmint" check up on them.
    09-04-09 02:26 PM
    They may have heard it before but they are now apparently looking at the industry again.

As another poster said, while subsidized, I can see requiring a Data plan - after that, it should be up to the user. For instance, in the current economy, folks may not have funds to purchase a new phone and would like to keep their current BB but also would like to save another $30/month by dropping data - that should be an option.

Obviously, there will be those who disagree.
    Then it's time to buy a different phone that won't cost you as much monthly. If you're out of contract, then you can get a phone for free - they have them.

So, VZW provides plenty of options when it comes to devices. You don't HAVE to get a Blackberry nor do you have to keep one once your contract is up.

You signed a contract stating that you will keep data on the line for 2 years. After that VZW is not obligated to anything you want, because they provide other choices. Simple as that. No FCC required. You would be wasting your time.
    09-04-09 02:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD