10-15-09 12:52 AM
45 12
tools
    i think he realized he just told the entire internet how to do it and is kicking himself in the nards.
    10-13-09 10:53 PM
    i think he realized he just told the entire internet how to do it and is kicking himself in the nards.
    Kick a man/woman when they are down have u no shame.
    I bet he has VZW tattooed on his arse.....................
    10-14-09 12:19 AM
    Vzwstorm, where are you getting the 500 dollar netbook thing?
    Probably from some hyper-inflated retail sheet.

I didn't think anyone believed those.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 12:57 AM
    Many, many years ago there was a large company based in Texas called Tandy Corp. which manufactured and sold electronics through their own stores called Radio Shack. One day, someone got the bright idea of developing a mail-out catalog to sell the exact same items found in the RS stores, only at a cheaper price.
    The in-store sales employees, dependent upon their commission sales for their income, were incensed that their own company would undercut it's own merchandise and sales reps through these catalog sales. Tandy produced these catalogs themselves, inhouse, and mailed them out to just about everyone in the phonebook! I used to get them all the time, about every 3 mos. or so.
    Eventually, Radio Shack changed its inventory and went to nationally branded items...and I guess Tandy stopped making all that stuff. I don't really remember or know. I don't even think they own the Radio Shack stores anymore.

If Verizon is making its online products available at less than one can purchase in-store, it seems like the same thing that Tandy Corp. did years ago. Instead of a catalog (Tandy would have done the same thing using the internet if there had been an internet back then), Verizon actually saves tons of money by using its online store instead of having to print a catalog. But, its the same idea.

I'm all for saving money. However, I hate to see jobs lost due to more people preferring the online way of doing business...and I hate to see any company competing against its own employees this way.
    10-14-09 01:13 AM
    Tandy originally did leather goods & supplies & bought Radio Shack about 50 years ago. About 10 years ago, they dumped the Tandy name & became Radio Shack Corporation. Same company, different name.

Many companies do the same thing. Petsmart, BestBuy, Fry's Electronics, Sharper Image, cell carriers all offer lower prices and/or special deals for online purchases.

Trying to figure out how the story fits with this thread, though.

10-14-09 01:32 AM
    er, uh...after I wrote all that, I was trying to figure out the same thing! lolol It's late and I should go to bed

Oh, and thanks for the refresh on Tandy..I am from Ft. Worth, which was the home of Charles Tandy. I do now remember it started out in leather goods..geez, that was a long time ago.

Night all! (I'll try to be more relevant and make more sense tomorrow...and be on topic).
    10-14-09 01:42 AM
    For the customer thats fine but when your job is based not based but DEPENDANT on performance on data and accessory sales, it is aggrivating for a sales rep.
    sooooo.... this is not about the upgrade (that VZW will let you do); this post happens since it is the EOM and your performance is not meeting the goal? and you get no cash for taking on something extra... for doing what we are all doing and working for 'the man'. vzw expects their customers to support their network, they do. they also expect their employees to take on more and don't always pay extra for cleaning of the store or doing your job. you are there for new acquisitions AND customer support AND tech services.
    quit crying...

BTW... we ALL have performance metrix to meet... and it is aggrivating to all to hear that you are sooo far above us saying "it is aggrivating for a sales rep"...
    Last edited by modifyer; 10-14-09 at 01:49 AM. Reason: had to add
    10-14-09 01:47 AM
    Tandy originally did leather goods & supplies & bought Radio Shack about 50 years ago. About 10 years ago, they dumped the Tandy name & became Radio Shack Corporation. Same company, different name.

Many companies do the same thing. Petsmart, BestBuy, Fry's Electronics, Sharper Image, cell carriers all offer lower prices and/or special deals for online purchases.

Trying to figure out how the story fits with this thread, though.

The actual problem with Tandy was a thing called the TRS-80 computer and some kid named Bill that wanted to upgrade the way the system operated... what a pity that he was denied by Tandy... the rest is history.
    read about it in Tandy's book on one of the biggest flops he made...
    The Bill in the story is Bill Gates.
    10-14-09 02:05 AM
    The Trash-80? I lived through those dark ages.

Scary thing.

10-14-09 02:12 AM
    Including you. LOL. Great job.
    10-14-09 05:42 AM
    So... this guy did what a ton of people do... I agree with bluerskyes here in that reps(you know who you are) shouldn't be posting directly about a situation that happened today. What if your district manager saw that you were posting it and connected the dots?
    Anywho. People do this all the time I saw it with a BOGO on the Storms just recently. They're still paying for the line its not really cheating the system in terms of fru's or anything like that...
    10-14-09 08:18 AM
    The actual problem with Tandy was a thing called the TRS-80 computer and some kid named Bill that wanted to upgrade the way the system operated... what a pity that he was denied by Tandy... the rest is history.
    read about it in Tandy's book on one of the biggest flops he made...
    The Bill in the story is Bill Gates.
    I never owned one of those early machines, but my sister did..and I tried to learn to use it. It was a nightmare.

Charles Tandy was a giant in town. He was sort of the "wanna be Amon G. Carter or Perry Bass".

On, and I remember why I brought this story up...in this topic...because the OP apparently depends upon commissions, and this demonstrated how a company undermines those employees by having another source that is cheaper for their products. Someone suggested it was better to purchase online to avoid the pressure of in-store sales reps. I was just remembering it wasn't a new tactic.

Guess I'm old fashioned. I prefer talking to a real person when purchasing something like a cell phone or service from a carrier. Its a throwback to the days when I went shopping with my grandmother, and we would enter a department store downtown with her being greeted "Good Morning, Mrs. Smith...we have some new dresses in that you might want to see today". When you have a good relationship with a sales person, you really don't want to do anything to hurt their commissions (or at least I don't).

Actually, I'm surprised Radio Shacks are still in business.
    10-14-09 09:24 AM
    Netbooks aren't worth 500. Maybe 400 max, but since Verizon gets a discount it's even less...
    10-14-09 10:12 AM
    Netbooks aren't worth 500. Maybe 400 max, but since Verizon gets a discount it's even less...
    Verizon gets a discount if you sign for a 2 year agreement and pay for the data...
    10-14-09 10:23 AM
    no...they took the line that was eligible upgraded it to a netbook and then took the old phone and reactivated it IN PLACE of the netbook, sorry.

EX: NE2 100 line A
    Upgraded to netbook for 149.99 w 100MIR(line b)
    Took line A and activated it in place of line B.

SO they got a 500 dollar netbook for 50 dollars after rebate and not paying for the monthly service of 59.99.
    Lets see what else is 500 dollars(or very close to it)....

Tour
    Storm
    Omnia
    Rogue
    EnV touch and so on...

So if they upgraded to any of those phones and then activated thier old phone it would be the same exact thing but that wouldnt bother you? This isnt "screwing" Verizon.
    10-14-09 03:53 PM
    Well I think it should be against policy to change the cost and that's just coming from a tech. Anyone with basic understanding of economics can see how verizon would lose money by the customer reducing the cost of the line to 9.99

Sorry guys, but I'd rather my employer make money. And yes - that's all it comes down to. Short term incentive at the end of the year for those who don't make commission. If you don't care for your bonus, then fine let me have it.

10-14-09 04:48 PM
    Verizon gets a discount if you sign for a 2 year agreement and pay for the data...
    VZW doesn't get a discount - they give a discount.

Its only on BlackBerrys where VZW gets money off what they pay for a device with a longer term, because RIM is sucking up a substantial portion of the monthly data fees.

10-14-09 05:00 PM
    Hmm... the wifi on my laptop just died, a $50 netbook sounds nice to me
    10-14-09 05:07 PM
    Hmm... the wifi on my laptop just died, a $50 netbook sounds nice to me
    GO GO GADGET... oop, sorry. Go GO Gardobus!!!
    10-15-09 12:47 AM
    I never owned one of those early machines, but my sister did..and I tried to learn to use it. It was a nightmare.

Charles Tandy was a giant in town. He was sort of the "wanna be Amon G. Carter or Perry Bass".

On, and I remember why I brought this story up...in this topic...because the OP apparently depends upon commissions, and this demonstrated how a company undermines those employees by having another source that is cheaper for their products. Someone suggested it was better to purchase online to avoid the pressure of in-store sales reps. I was just remembering it wasn't a new tactic.

Guess I'm old fashioned. I prefer talking to a real person when purchasing something like a cell phone or service from a carrier. Its a throwback to the days when I went shopping with my grandmother, and we would enter a department store downtown with her being greeted "Good Morning, Mrs. Smith...we have some new dresses in that you might want to see today". When you have a good relationship with a sales person, you really don't want to do anything to hurt their commissions (or at least I don't).

Actually, I'm surprised Radio Shacks are still in business.
    the online service does not undermine the sales rep, really. what is does (upgrade wise) is actually take it off the reps hands to allow them to sell (being their primary purpose. i hear complaints from all the old school individuals about how crowded the stores are and this is what the self help options are about (sans major meltdowns when custs are trying to load bb v4.7.0.230 instead of staying w/ 4.7.0.148.
    10-15-09 12:52 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD