10-14-09 11:52 PM
45 12
tools
    Ok I am a RSR at VZW have been a Tech and CSR in the past and this just happened...

A customer came in and said that a customer care rep *611 rep told them HOW TO DO the following. Customer came in and wanted to upgrade a 9.99 share line to the netbook and then reactivate their old phone. 1 my rep just ATE 60 dollars in data adn thh company ate it too. really there is not anything we can do about that. On the customer's side it is unethical. It is ridiculous that the customer care rep told him HOW to do this and told him to come to the store to do so. This is the 2nd time this has happened in my store. It is going to my district manager and then it will escalate from there....this is ridiculous that a rep would do that. If i had a company and one of my employees was telling employees how to cheat the system they would be FIRED on the spot it is insane. I am sure some kind of measures will be put in place to prevent this. I had a customer try this on me yesterday and I told them I refused to do so, they can escalate all they want! Frustrates me! What are your thoughts ??
    10-13-09 04:01 PM
    Let me get this straight:

-A person has a phone
    -They are eligible for a New Every 2 upgrade
    -They use that upgrade to purchase the netbook at the 2year price with a 2year contract and additional $30 data plan
    -They then have their old phone reactivated on the share line for an additional 9.99/month

You have a problem with this why?
    10-13-09 04:17 PM
    Let me get this straight:

-A person has a phone
    -They are eligible for a New Every 2 upgrade
    -They use that upgrade to purchase the netbook at the 2year price with a 2year contract and additional $30 data plan
    -They then have their old phone reactivated on the share line for an additional 9.99/month

You have a problem with this why?
    Seconded, im reading this over and don't really see an issue
    10-13-09 05:08 PM
    The issue is because they give the discounted pricing on the computer hoping to make it up through the data plan of the internet, when the customer isnt paying that money, they arent making that money...

get it?
    10-13-09 05:13 PM
    This is not that uncommon. Think about doing a device upgrade and then changing back to your old phone and giving the upgrade to a friend or family member. There are no rules against it and the company even encourages the use of alt upgrades. Both sides are getting what they want. The customer is getting a device at a discounted rate, the company is getting a contract for a min
    imum of $240 plus the cost of the netbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 05:28 PM
    no...they took the line that was eligible upgraded it to a netbook and then took the old phone and reactivated it IN PLACE of the netbook, sorry.

EX: NE2 100 line A
    Upgraded to netbook for 149.99 w 100MIR(line b)
    Took line A and activated it in place of line B.

SO they got a 500 dollar netbook for 50 dollars after rebate and not paying for the monthly service of 59.99.
    10-13-09 05:33 PM
    I guess I still don't see the issue. They upgraded the line and they signed a new contract. IMO that's fine.
    10-13-09 05:45 PM
    VZW still makes a ton of cash anyway
    10-13-09 05:48 PM
    For the customer thats fine but when your job is based not based but DEPENDANT on performance on data and accessory sales, it is aggrivating for a sales rep.
    10-13-09 05:51 PM
    It upset you so much that you decided to post it on the internet so that everyone knows how to do it? That makes you a lot worse than the rep who advised it.

10-13-09 05:55 PM
    no...they took the line that was eligible upgraded it to a netbook and then took the old phone and reactivated it IN PLACE of the netbook, sorry.

EX: NE2 100 line A
    Upgraded to netbook for 149.99 w 100MIR(line b)
    Took line A and activated it in place of line B.

SO they got a 500 dollar netbook for 50 dollars after rebate and not paying for the monthly service of 59.99.

Wait....you can upgrade any eligible line to a netbook? I thought it had to be a new line and once you did this, you were locked into 2 years of the data service as well at $59.99/mo.??

So VZW allows you to switch a netbook line to a cell line??

Wow..looks like I'm going shopping soon....
    10-13-09 06:11 PM
    It upset you so much that you decided to post it on the internet so that everyone knows how to do it? That makes you a lot worse than the rep who advised it.

Haha, looks like VZWStorm just opened up a whole can of worms here......this sounds like workplace stuff, which should be kept at the workplace...to avoid these kind of instances.
    10-13-09 06:26 PM
    Too many Verizon employees here don't know how or when to keep their mouth shut.

10-13-09 06:30 PM
    bluerskyes was right. Now everyone who reads this thread knows they can do that. As proven by bubbarob. lol
    10-13-09 06:30 PM
    Naw...I'm not really going to do that...I was just making a point and agree that he should have kept it to himself.

I understand he was probably frustrated and have worked retail sales so I know it can be tough some days. I assume he wanted to vent. Not the best place for that though.
    10-13-09 06:38 PM
    For the customer thats fine but when your job is based not based but DEPENDANT on performance on data and accessory sales, it is aggrivating for a sales rep.
    Why get a bent out of shape, as long as it doesn't affect your paycheck don't worry about it. I am in sales so yeah I know. As much as the customers take it from these big companies the little guys deserve a win every now and then.
    10-13-09 06:58 PM
    These are the pitfalls of working in a commission dependant business. This is also why more and more people are going to the website instead of the store because people like this tend to make the sale very uncomfortable because they are pissy that they are not making money off them.
    10-13-09 07:01 PM
    These are the pitfalls of working in a commission dependant business. This is also why more and more people are going to the website instead of the store because people like this tend to make the sale very uncomfortable because they are pissy that they are not making money off them.
    agree going online is much easier, better deals, and no one is trying to make money off the sale!
    10-13-09 07:10 PM
    If i had a company and one of my employees was telling employees how to cheat the system they would be FIRED on the spot it is insane.
    You just told everyone here how to cheat the system and your post has the ability to reach more people than that one rep can in a year. Turn in your keys or your Big Red token or whatever, you need to fire yourself.
    10-13-09 07:13 PM
    Wait....you can upgrade any eligible line to a netbook? I thought it had to be a new line and once you did this, you were locked into 2 years of the data service as well at $59.99/mo.??

So VZW allows you to switch a netbook line to a cell line??

Wow..looks like I'm going shopping soon....
    Well, sometimes you end up with a phone line that you *need* to be the other thing for awhile. Sometimes your needs change. And sometimes, you want one or the other, rather than both. (Which would be done by tethering.)

As for the netbook, as much as it may seem a money loss for VZW up front, it's not like it's been unlocked or anything, and the cell version on-contract is the same price as they would have gotten at Best Buy for one without cell capability. (With the exception of lacking cell hardware, the ones you see at Best Buy are the same price and have all the same stuff inside.) There's no advantage to buying it on-contract with the hardware if you're not going to use it for the data service, so we must assume it is being used for a data plan somewhere out there. How do we know they didn't get it as a gift?

This isn't cheating the system. They were up for the upgrade, they bought the device, most likely to use on a data plan somewhere. It's per our own policy that they may do this.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 10-13-09 at 07:20 PM.
    10-13-09 07:18 PM
    Heh - while they got a $269 Netbook that VZW pays less than $150 for & VZW gets a new line of service. How is this any different than a free phone? Or how about the people who snag one of these BOGO CrapBerrys, only to sell the free one & put an old flipper on the line?

Here is the problem & it doesn't require a rep to tell someone how to do it - the info is all over the Internet - VZW only does contracts on the line - hooked by the phone number. They don't do contracts on data, text, VVM, VZNav, etc. The company has left themselves open to this - but remember that this person will not be getting a new discounted phone for a long time & probably won't even be using that line. VZW gets to add one more notch on their marketing belt in their quest for 88 million customers, which would bolster bragging rights & stock prices.

And right now, they are sweating quarterly results - the competition is lapping up some of VZW's goodies & gaining on them.

10-13-09 07:44 PM
    Here is the problem & it doesn't require a rep to tell someone how to do it - the info is all over the Internet - VZW only does contracts on the line - hooked by the phone number. They don't do contracts on data, text, VVM, VZNav, etc. The company has left themselves open to this - but remember that this person will not be getting a new discounted phone for a long time & probably won't even be using that line.
    Alltel did this. You couldn't buy a BlackBerry/Data Card only to throw a dumb phone on the account to remove the SmartPack. You were locked into that type of plan for the duration of the contract, which included the data costs. Funny that VZW doesn't do the same...
    10-13-09 08:17 PM
    Too many Verizon employees here don't know how or when to keep their mouth shut.

This loophole has been well known for a long time. And this forum is not the only place people are posting how to do this stuff.

Ironically, those same customers who are probably thanking the OP for this kind of info are probably the same ones posting on planetfeedback about their sensibilities being insulted. Oh well.
    10-13-09 08:59 PM
    This loophole has been well known for a long time. And this forum is not the only place people are posting how to do this stuff.

Ironically, those same customers who are probably thanking the OP for this kind of info are probably the same ones posting on planetfeedback about their sensibilities being insulted. Oh well.
    It doesn't matter what other forums its on. A lot of these VZW employees think that this is a place for them to vent about their job , and its not the place to vent privately. If the reps here had some sense of privacy, half the info that's out there wouldn't be. He just made the problem worse.

10-13-09 09:25 PM
    Vzwstorm, where are you getting the 500 dollar netbook thing?

10-13-09 09:43 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD