07-03-08 09:40 PM
30 12
tools
    Just got off the phone with VRZ and she said I could upgrade my phone today even though I'm not due for an upgrade until next month. Great I thought, I can get the Curve. So I told her what I wanted and she said they didn't have them. When I sayd they were on the web and in stores, she said that was correct but they didn't have them for phone upgrades over the phone yet. Now I know that I have read here numerous times that people on VRZ have upgraded over the phone and got Curves. What gives with this lady?! I thought I was gonna get my Curve early! My hopes have been dashed. Can I do anything or do I have to wait til net month??
    07-02-08 08:29 AM
    Call back and make sure you talk to someone else! Some csr don't know what they're talking about sometimes. I ordered my wifes curve over the phone and I didn't even pay for it that day. Had it added to the bill!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 08:36 AM
    Yeah, you got fed a line of BS. Call back and talk to a different rep!
    07-02-08 08:37 AM
    I just called Verizon and ordered a Curve. They had it in stock... should be coming tomorrow morning

07-02-08 09:00 AM
    Usual mobile phone customer service excellence. 3 different CR reps 3 different stories!!

Keep calling back till you get the desired response

Good luck

I would wait for the bold personally but hey
    07-02-08 09:03 AM
    I would wait for the bold personally but hey
    This is Verizon we're talking about, the wait might be really long and painful.
    07-02-08 09:05 AM
    LOL! come to the UK and you will know the true meaning of "wait"

Suely not as bad as over here
    07-02-08 09:11 AM
    Thanks all. I thought she was wrong! And I'm not waiting for the Bold because it may never get to VRZ or it could take years knowing them. I would rather have a berry to play with now.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
    07-02-08 09:13 AM
    I called them and got mine moved up a few months and they put it into the system, then I went to the store and picked up my phone.

You could just have them do that and go to the store and pick it up.
    07-02-08 09:29 AM
    I called them and got mine moved up a few months and they put it into the system, then I went to the store and picked up my phone.

You could just have them do that and go to the store and pick it up.
    That's what i did. Ne2 was 3 motnhs away. Went to the store first, they said they couldnt do it. So i talked to CS, lady said ofcourse and i told her to mark it on my account. Went back to the store and they did it right away. Got the Pearl for $49 and a 20% discount on my bills each month!!
    07-02-08 01:03 PM
    They should be able to put a early upgrade "note" on your account then go pick it up in the store I did that once without a problem.

07-02-08 01:17 PM
    Interesting, didn't know a CSR could put a note on it and then you get the upgrade in store. I called last week, my NE2 wasn't for another 20 months but they let me get the Curve. Of course I'm also giving them $30 more a month before discounts for the service so I take their kindness with a grain of salt.
    07-02-08 01:46 PM
    Pfft. Bull. Call back and speak with a different rep. Last I checked Verizon doesn't have just "certain" phones that are available for OTP upgrades. You probably just got a lazy rep. There is a ton of paperwork for OTP upgrades that the reps are responsible for (my mum works for VZW, so I know first-hand) and she just simply didn't want to go through all the hassle of the paperwork.
    07-02-08 02:25 PM
    Yeah!!! My Curve is now on it's way! Thanks for all the suggestions. I called back and got a different CS person who was happy to tell me that they were in stock and would ship it out immediately. I had to finagle with the price though because she wasn't going to give me my NE2 $50 credit. She had to "check with my supervisor" about allowing that along with the promotional price and $70 mail-in-rebate, but of course her "supervisor" said it was ok, so in the end I will have paid $107 for the curve.
    Thanks again everyone!
    07-02-08 08:40 PM
    The O.P. obviously spoke to someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I work in a VZW call center and depending on the situation I will do early upgrades for people at my discretion. Things I have to take into consideration are how long a VZW customer, payment history, how long since last upgrade, and the general attitude of the caller. We are empowered to make decisions, and if someone says they have to "check with their supervisor" is probably bunk. If I had to put a caller on hold and ask my sup if I can give someone a NE2 of $50 credit towards the purchase, I'd get a look from my supervisor like "WTH?" JohnnyBiz, you can upgrade your phone every 20 months anyway, so if you say "my NE2 wasn't for another 20 months but they let me get the Curve" causes me to laugh out loud because that means you just did an upgrade. Good try though. Several times I have told people I would honor an upgrade before they're eligible and if the store says they won't honor it to call back and I will process their order, since I don't get many that call back and have the rep email me, I get the impression the sales person at their local store realizes they will miss out on a sale if they don't honor it.
    07-02-08 10:19 PM
    The O.P. obviously spoke to someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I work in a VZW call center and depending on the situation I will do early upgrades for people at my discretion. Things I have to take into consideration are how long a VZW customer, payment history, how long since last upgrade, and the general attitude of the caller. We are empowered to make decisions, and if someone says they have to "check with their supervisor" is probably bunk. If I had to put a caller on hold and ask my sup if I can give someone a NE2 of $50 credit towards the purchase, I'd get a look from my supervisor like "WTH?" JohnnyBiz, you can upgrade your phone every 20 months anyway, so if you say "my NE2 wasn't for another 20 months but they let me get the Curve" causes me to laugh out loud because that means you just did an upgrade. Good try though. Several times I have told people I would honor an upgrade before they're eligible and if the store says they won't honor it to call back and I will process their order, since I don't get many that call back and have the rep email me, I get the impression the sales person at their local store realizes they will miss out on a sale if they don't honor it.
    Yeah my rep told me that she would mark my account, but couldn't guarantee that the store will listen to her note. So she told me to try and go to the store and upgrade, and if they don't let me, to call back and shell happily process the order.

Quick question, how are vzw phone reps paid? I've always been curious.
    07-02-08 11:34 PM
    Glad you're getting your Curve! I love mine :-)

07-03-08 12:49 AM
    Yeah my rep told me that she would mark my account, but couldn't guarantee that the store will listen to her note. So she told me to try and go to the store and upgrade, and if they don't let me, to call back and shell happily process the order.

Quick question, how are vzw phone reps paid? I've always been curious.
    We do not get commission when we order you a phone since we're not in sales. Its part of the glory and excitement of being a VZW rep.
    07-03-08 06:27 AM
    I thought it was as easy as resetting the NE2 timer (vs. inserting a "note" in the customer record)? A couple of months ago, I happened to be talking to a VZW CS rep about an unrelated subject. At the end of the discussion, she asked if there was anything else she could do for me.

I had an 8703e at the time, and mentioned that I was really lusting after the Curve. I half-jokingly said that if there was a way she could bump up my NE2 date (not eligible until August), it would make my day.

She took a quick look at my history (been with VZW 10 years, currently send them just shy of $300/mo for my BB and 2 other family phones, and always pay on time) and said "No problem, Mr. D. Enjoy your new Curve!"

I then checked my account on-line, and found that I was indeed eligible for the NE2 upgrade. I placed my order, switched to the "unlimited everything" plan that knocked $20 off my bill, and took advantage of the ADC. What with the rebate form that arrived along with the Curve, it cost me $54.95 all-in for my new BB.
    07-03-08 06:51 AM
    Wow, good deal. I'm a VZW employee, and I just paid $175 for the Curve a week ago (posting from it now). You're lucky you got to use the advanced device credit as it's already been retired. The new smartphone pricing scheme is the same price anyway, though. Quick note about the store btw, from what I've experienced, store employees are much more slaves to policy than CS. When store reps honor a request from CS that is in the notes, it's possible for them to justify the transaction. I have been told by several store reps when calling to make sure they would honor my notes that as long as CS writes notes, the transaction is "coded" differently and it doesn't go against the store's numbers. Also, in the VZW heiarchy, for some reason care reps, while at the same payband as store reps, are considered a level higher in the chain of command. Don't ask me why.

07-03-08 07:29 AM
    Btw - as far as being empowered to apply equipment discounts and change upgrade dates, this really does depend on supervisor discretion. I have advanced in the company so I now have access to change those settings, but normal care reps do not even have access to change the upgrade dates themselves in the billing system - only supervisors. And any significant equipment discounting goes automatically for supervisor approval before the order will even ship. My old sup for example, would approve any early upgrade w/in 30 days of the upgrade date, so essentially 19 months. This does vary, and some sup's are more/less strict. I have had to many times, so don't assume your rep is "lazy" or a liar because they place you on hold to confer with their sup.

07-03-08 07:35 AM
    VulcanRider-

Dude... get a grip before you "laugh out loud" at me. So maybe it was 18 months.. whatever. My point was I had gotten a brand new LG VX7800 two months ago, and reupped my contract for two years. Now, two months later, I called and got a curve instead at the 2 year price, sold the LG on ebay, and they didn't extend my contract. So I got two new phones at the 2 year price within two months.

Comprende ahole?
    07-03-08 08:31 AM
    VulcanRider-

Dude... get a grip before you "laugh out loud" at me. So maybe it was 18 months.. whatever. My point was I had gotten a brand new LG VX7800 two months ago, and reupped my contract for two years. Now, two months later, I called and got a curve instead at the 2 year price, sold the LG on ebay, and they didn't extend my contract. So I got two new phones at the 2 year price within two months.

Comprende ahole?
    Sincere apologies.
    07-03-08 07:47 PM
    Btw - as far as being empowered to apply equipment discounts and change upgrade dates, this really does depend on supervisor discretion. I have advanced in the company so I now have access to change those settings, but normal care reps do not even have access to change the upgrade dates themselves in the billing system - only supervisors. And any significant equipment discounting goes automatically for supervisor approval before the order will even ship. My old sup for example, would approve any early upgrade w/in 30 days of the upgrade date, so essentially 19 months. This does vary, and some sup's are more/less strict. I have had to many times, so don't assume your rep is "lazy" or a liar because they place you on hold to confer with their sup.

You're correct, we cannot change the actual dates. What I usually do is if someone wants the phone, I will order it using the Managers Exception and it goes into the queue for approval. Since we are empowered to make the decision, it is approved. If its an unreasonable exception that was made, the rep would be coached on it, but it still would be approved.
    07-03-08 07:50 PM
    I thought it was as easy as resetting the NE2 timer (vs. inserting a "note" in the customer record)? A couple of months ago, I happened to be talking to a VZW CS rep about an unrelated subject. At the end of the discussion, she asked if there was anything else she could do for me.

I had an 8703e at the time, and mentioned that I was really lusting after the Curve. I half-jokingly said that if there was a way she could bump up my NE2 date (not eligible until August), it would make my day.

She took a quick look at my history (been with VZW 10 years, currently send them just shy of $300/mo for my BB and 2 other family phones, and always pay on time) and said "No problem, Mr. D. Enjoy your new Curve!"

I then checked my account on-line, and found that I was indeed eligible for the NE2 upgrade. I placed my order, switched to the "unlimited everything" plan that knocked $20 off my bill, and took advantage of the ADC. What with the rebate form that arrived along with the Curve, it cost me $54.95 all-in for my new BB.
    Based on everything you said, I would not have hesitated to ugrade you to the Curve immediately also.
    07-03-08 07:51 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD