04-05-14 02:12 PM
30 12
tools
    Fellow BB fans,

It think it's time we all started betting on the right race horse. Verizon brought out the Z30, but now is delaying the release of the newest months-old update. Why are you still there? If BlackBerry fans stick together and work our numbers, we may be able to have the carriers take us seriously.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since 2005. I have been with them when they were cool, stayed with them when they crashed and burned through the failed AT&T acquisition effort and am here with them today. Through T-Mobile, I bought my first BB, an 8900 that still works.

With T-Mobile, I have had the benefit of services that were significantly lower than the big 3. Blackberry Q/Z10s also get the Wi-Fi Calling app that allows for free calls and SMS out of the US on wi-fi. Free int'l 2G data and now SMS. Add in the fastest 4G LTE in most markets and there is little reason to choose anyone else.

Okay...coverage. T-Mobile's Achilles heel (for now). By now you've heard that T-Mobile is converting all of its 2G network to 4G through 2015, right? Further, they have publicly acknowledged the coverage issue and have begun executing on a plan to change that. With that in mind, how many are still affected by spotting coverage?

Support is another area people complain about (or at least use as an excuse to avoid T-Mobile). Since 2005, I cannot remember a time when I was unhappy with their support. I do remember once...back in the time pre-John Legere during the acquisition phase when they were just horrible all-around. Not anymore. I contacted them after my Q10 started experiencing the touch-and-reboot issue and I'm a fan.

Anyway, so the bottom-line is with all the benefits of T-Mobile, what is preventing the rest of you from jumping aboard? Keep in mind that T-Mobile was the first with the Q10 (if my memory is correct) and is now the first with the update. Can we use our numbers and teach the carrier industry a lesson?

Disclaimer: I am simply a TMo customer...not being paid in any way, nor am I a shareholder. Hoping that my actions will make T-Mobile the de-facto Blackberry carrier with full support.

Thanks for listening.

Posted via CB10 | Q10 on T-Mobile (USA)
    03-15-14 11:59 AM
    T-Mobile?... You're kidding right?

Let me go buy a T-Mobile Z30.... oh wait.

Posted via CB10
    eninrebmun and serbanescu like this.
    03-15-14 12:04 PM
    devices over software sorry, Verizon is best bet in US

Posted via CB10
    southlander and eninrebmun like this.
    03-15-14 12:06 PM
    Get your Z30 elsewhere and bring it to T-Mobile. Problem solved.

03-15-14 12:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Devices are nothing without proper software.

I think the whole situation is stupid. Carriers have to get used to being dumb pipes.

Buy phones full price/unlock them, and take them to the carrier you prefer/can compete.

While these are expensive devices, and I understand the need for the contract model to discount them at time of purchase, that has developed a culture with North American carriers that they control your mobile fate.

I say "F" that. I'll pick the device I want, The carrier that can compete (for me usually on value, cheapest dollar per more quantity) and I'll do the updates myself.

I've never owned a device that didn't have some sort of way to update independently from the carriers. They would like to make you think it's not possible, or way too hard. It's really not.

Via Z30 BBOS9.83.4453
    03-15-14 12:13 PM
    By the way, if anyone wants to nominate another carrier that would fit the bill, then I'm all ears.

03-15-14 12:14 PM
    The reason the T-Mobile update took so long is they needed to get the wi-fi calling app supported on the new update. Look through the forums and you will see many T-Mobile users who used the leak say that wi-fi calling was broken.

If it wasn't for wi-fi calling, I would have installed a leak long ago.

03-15-14 12:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    And I guess you'd agree the next step in this line is: network over both devices and software. Yes, Verizon really is the best for me.

To OP: Even though I have always ran off carrier OSes on my BBs, I still gripe at them to get updates out, because I know most people don't even know it's an option to load your own software, and they shouldn't *have* to.

Stick with whoever gives you the best service and complain at them a lot. I hate to see the words "game over" for any carrier when it comes to BlackBerry....
    Last edited by eninrebmun; 03-15-14 at 12:26 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    03-15-14 12:23 PM
    The reason the T-Mobile update took so long is they needed to get the wi-fi calling app supported on the new update. Look through the forums and you will see many T-Mobile users who used the leak say that wi-fi calling was broken.

If it wasn't for wi-fi calling, I would have installed a leak long ago.

Did you miss the past few weeks of T-Mobile systematically coercing legacy BlackBerry users to migrate to other platforms, then proudly announcing the high migration rate?

I wouldn't count on T-Mobile pushing out timely OS upgrades for too much longer. But sure... if you want to save money at the expense of spotty coverage and gimmicky workarounds like wifi-calling then that's up to you.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/05/verizon-vs-att-coverage-map/

"What becomes really clear when looking at RootMetrics? study, though, is that there?s an enormous gap in network quality between the twin titans of Verizon and AT&T and the smaller players such as Sprint and T-Mobile. According to RootMetrics, John Legere?s scrappy ?Uncarrier? has the worst reliability, the worst data performance, the worst call performance and the worst text performance. In fact, the only area where T-Mobile didn?t finish in last place was in wireless data speeds, where it handily beat Sprint?s infamously slow 4G network."

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 12:25 PM
    Well I'm already looking to switch back to t-mobile or sprint. It's sad because I just got my z30 but I'm sick of Verizon .

Posted from my Z30
    TZRick likes this.
    03-15-14 12:37 PM
    Lol I don't choose my carrier based on which devices they have. They have the most areas of coverage in the rural areas that I travel to on a somewhat regular basis. If I were to switch to T-Mobile I'd be without service for several weeks out of the year.

No thank you.
    03-15-14 12:54 PM
    Fellow BB fans,

It think it's time we all started betting on the right race horse. Verizon brought out the Z30, but now is delaying the release of the newest months-old update. Why are you still there? If BlackBerry fans stick together and work our numbers, we may be able to have the carriers take us seriously.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since 2005. I have been with them when they were cool, stayed with them when they crashed and burned through the failed AT&T acquisition effort and am here with them today. Through T-Mobile, I bought my first BB, an 8900 that still works.

With T-Mobile, I have had the benefit of services that were significantly lower than the big 3. Blackberry Q/Z10s also get the Wi-Fi Calling app that allows for free calls and SMS out of the US on wi-fi. Free int'l 2G data and now SMS. Add in the fastest 4G LTE in most markets and there is little reason to choose anyone else.

Okay...coverage. T-Mobile's Achilles heel (for now). By now you've heard that T-Mobile is converting all of its 2G network to 4G through 2015, right? Further, they have publicly acknowledged the coverage issue and have begun executing on a plan to change that. With that in mind, how many are still affected by spotting coverage?

Support is another area people complain about (or at least use as an excuse to avoid T-Mobile). Since 2005, I cannot remember a time when I was unhappy with their support. I do remember once...back in the time pre-John Legere during the acquisition phase when they were just horrible all-around. Not anymore. I contacted them after my Q10 started experiencing the touch-and-reboot issue and I'm a fan.

Anyway, so the bottom-line is with all the benefits of T-Mobile, what is preventing the rest of you from jumping aboard? Keep in mind that T-Mobile was the first with the Q10 (if my memory is correct) and is now the first with the update. Can we use our numbers and teach the carrier industry a lesson?

Disclaimer: I am simply a TMo customer...not being paid in any way, nor am I a shareholder. Hoping that my actions will make T-Mobile the de-facto Blackberry carrier with full support.

Thanks for listening.

Coverage for t mobile where I am is non existent. It's either vzw or us cellular for me. No BlackBerry at us cell and I'm under contract anyway.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 01:24 PM
    Perhaps you should present your argument AFTER the coverage issue has been addressed. Until then, it's more like an Achilles torso. Without reliable continuous coverage during travel, my device is worthless. Btw, Verizon was the first to release 10.2.1 for the Z10. There seems to be some confusion over that.
    03-15-14 01:33 PM
    Point taken. I did not know that. Still, at least T-Mobile had a reason for the delay...ensuring the wi-fi calling app worked with the release.

FYI...Only Blackberry and Android phones can use T-Mobile's wi-fi calling. iPhones cannot. Blackberry has some form of status at TMo.

03-15-14 02:50 PM
    Point taken. I did not know that. Still, at least T-Mobile had a reason for the delay...ensuring the wi-fi calling app worked with the release.

FYI...Only Blackberry and Android phones can use T-Mobile's wi-fi calling. iPhones cannot. Blackberry has some form of status at TMo.

I think the reason iPhone doesn't have wifi calling is because Apple doesn't like anyone to mess with their software. Also, wifi calling isn't enough to keep me with t-mobile as I'm not always able to connect to wifi while I'm outside so it really doesn't help me. And I agree that t-mobile coverage has gotten better but that's only hspa+ not LTE. I'm always loosing LTE signal to the point it's not worth having it on

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 03:42 PM
    If Verizon updates continue o lag T-Mobile and Sprint I am done at the end of my contract.
    TZRick likes this.
    03-15-14 07:43 PM
    I have a Q10 on Verizon but was able to update to 10.2.1 using Sachesi. It's super simple to do and let's you enjoy the benefits of having the latest update without waiting for your carrier. It's seriously worth doing for anyone who's frustrated with their carrier over this like I was. I wish I would have done it sooner.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...e/td-p/2785507

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    03-16-14 06:45 PM
    I switched from TMO to VZW last March. I started with Voicestream back in Jul 2000. I simply got tired of being on 2G when everyone around me was surfing on 4G and having limited signals indoors.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 07:09 PM
    Sorry, but your idea is not likely to get much traction. Verizon has best service around here. I really don't care when my carrier releases the software, as long as I can load it myself. I have been on the 10.2.1.XXXX versions since the first day they showed up in these forums. And there is one more HUGE reason why I will not be leaving Verizon - My company is paying my phone bill, and my company chooses Verizon. So that ends that. :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 07:21 PM
    Also, please keep in mind that for a lot of people who use Microsoft Exchange, none of the 10.2.1.xxxx versions work reliably for mail delivery. I'm using it because I value the other new features over instant email, but for many people hour+ long mail delivery delays are unacceptable. VZ (and AT&T) have a lot more corporate users than T-MOBILE, and the impact on their support teams would be larger when fielding email related calls.

It would not surprise me at all if they were waiting for the Exchange fix to come from BlackBerry.

I can see, however, if you're not affected by the Exchange delay bug, the lack of release by both VZ and AT&T would be extremely annoying.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 07:46 PM
    My Exchange email, calendar and contacts are set up on my device and usually receive e-mail within a very short interval (or before?) of Outlook. Are you talking about BES-specific features?

03-18-14 01:38 PM
    With BYOD, companies paying for Corp phones is on the decline especially with small businesses...thus a large part of the problem for Blackberry...

03-18-14 01:40 PM
    True...that is how things were. T-Mobile is getting strong in 4G now. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw anything but 4G on my Q10.

03-18-14 01:43 PM
    Also, please keep in mind that for a lot of people who use Microsoft Exchange, none of the 10.2.1.xxxx versions work reliably for mail delivery. I'm using it because I value the other new features over instant email, but for many people hour+ long mail delivery delays are unacceptable. VZ (and AT&T) have a lot more corporate users than T-MOBILE, and the impact on their support teams would be larger when fielding email related calls.

It would not surprise me at all if they were waiting for the Exchange fix to come from BlackBerry.

I can see, however, if you're not affected by the Exchange delay bug, the lack of release by both VZ and AT&T would be extremely annoying.

Posted via CB10
    My work Exchange account works fine using EAS.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 10:36 AM
    59072. When Tmobile can give me great 4G coverage where I spend most of my vacations, then I will consider switching. Right now I don't even think they can offer me ****ty coverage.
    03-23-14 12:23 PM
30 12