Former Alltel customer here. Using a Pantech USB modem, on an Alltel contract. About a month ago, started having connectivity issues in the late afternoon/early evenings and not being able to use the internet until later at night. Opened a ticket with CS...they agreed that looking at my usage that I was having a problem, and they sent me a different PRL to try. It didn't solve the issue.

Basically, CS does not know why I am having this problem. When network "overload" was mentioned by me, they agreed that it could be the source, given the time of day I start to have the issue.

I have read on the Verizon forums of others having similar issues, even when using Verizon modems and on a Verizon contract. So, going out and purchasing a new modem and starting up a new contract does not seem to be a "issue solver".

Am I right in assuming that Verizon does not wish to correct this problem on their current towers, since they want to put money into the LTE network???
    I feel that in this area, more ppl have started using the towers around me, having signed on with new Verizon broadband contracts, thus overloading the network when they get home from work and connect. With this scenario, I see little hope in getting better service, until they upgrade their hardware/towers here in Western Kansas.

Anyone care to comment???
    04-07-10 12:44 PM
    Hmm I'm not getting outages in Hutch on my Tour so IDK.
    04-07-10 12:56 PM
    I've noticed this problem when I am traveling in both western Kansas and northern Oklahoma. It happens both on my Pantech USB and my BlackBerry as well. For instance, 2 nights ago I pulled into Enid, OK, and had 1x (no data) all night. In the morning, it switched to 1X and had data all day.

I've had my devices in 48 states plus Canada, and the only times I have ever encountered this problem have been in western KS, northern and western OK, huge chunks of west Texas and northeastern NM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 01:02 PM
    This is weird.. I want to see why this is happening keep posted. I really think its a PRL issue but I might be wrong.
    04-07-10 01:06 PM
    I had a customer call in for the status of such a ticket last week, and it turned out they were doing maintenance during the times that the service was down.

If it's happening like clockwork, it's probably maintenance, and I suspect there's quite a bit of maintenance going on in general with LTE on the horizon. That said, if enough people file tickets, they may choose a different time of day to do their tinkering. (That's just my personal speculation, but still...)
    04-07-10 02:16 PM
    I've noticed this problem when I am traveling in both western Kansas and northern Oklahoma. It happens both on my Pantech USB and my BlackBerry as well. For instance, 2 nights ago I pulled into Enid, OK, and had 1x (no data) all night. In the morning, it switched to 1X and had data all day.

I've had my devices in 48 states plus Canada, and the only times I have ever encountered this problem have been in western KS, northern and western OK, huge chunks of west Texas and northeastern NM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've had no problems with my cell phone connections. That seems just fine. When I can't get on the internet with my laptop, I have to switch to using the Eris to look up things I need to during the evening hours.

There have always been spotty areas in Western KS and western OK that have issues...I travel through there quite a bit, and usually know the "dead" spots. Enid, OK hasn't been one of them, however. There are a few places around Woodward, OK that are dead.
    04-07-10 02:55 PM
    I had a customer call in for the status of such a ticket last week, and it turned out they were doing maintenance during the times that the service was down.

If it's happening like clockwork, it's probably maintenance, and I suspect there's quite a bit of maintenance going on in general with LTE on the horizon. That said, if enough people file tickets, they may choose a different time of day to do their tinkering. (That's just my personal speculation, but still...)
    It does go down around 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. each evening...I'm posting this at 2:56 p.m. Central time, so I figure I only have about 2 more hours of internet service. If they are tinkering with the systems, then they should let CS know, so they can pass this along to us that are having problems.
    04-07-10 02:57 PM
    This is weird.. I want to see why this is happening keep posted. I really think its a PRL issue but I might be wrong.
    CS did send me a different PRL to try. It didn't work any better than the other I was using.
    04-07-10 02:58 PM
    It does go down around 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. each evening...I'm posting this at 2:56 p.m. Central time, so I figure I only have about 2 more hours of internet service. If they are tinkering with the systems, then they should let CS know, so they can pass this along to us that are having problems.
    I definitely suggest submitting a ticket then, and asking your neighbors if they're having issues as well. In most big city areas, taking down a tower or two temporarily won't hurt much, but if you're in the very spot that'll lose service due to it, or you're in one of those 1-tower towns, it can be a much bigger problem. I can tell you this: if enough people are confirmed as having trouble, they will let CS know. Hopefully, they'll also reschedule. We're kinda used to them doing this kind of stuff after midnight, but during the day (and from multiple customers) sounds a bit odd to me, and seems to be a recent development rather than a common thing.
    04-07-10 03:30 PM
    I definitely suggest submitting a ticket then, and asking your neighbors if they're having issues as well. In most big city areas, taking down a tower or two temporarily won't hurt much, but if you're in the very spot that'll lose service due to it, or you're in one of those 1-tower towns, it can be a much bigger problem. I can tell you this: if enough people are confirmed as having trouble, they will let CS know. Hopefully, they'll also reschedule. We're kinda used to them doing this kind of stuff after midnight, but during the day (and from multiple customers) sounds a bit odd to me, and seems to be a recent development rather than a common thing.
    I DID submit a ticket. About a week ago. I have emailed the tech that helped me twice, letting him know the issue is not resolved, but haven't heard back from him.

This very well could be a be a 1-tower town. Pop. is around 25,000. I don't know how many towers there are, to be honest. My neighbors speak Spanish, and I don't...might be hard for me to ask them about their service.
    All good suggestions...and at least it is another idea to ponder, the maintenance thing.
    04-07-10 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD