Hey guys,

I just found out that vzw's "corporate discounts" dept is running sweeps of customer accounts that have secondary lines with data. The problem that has come up is that secondary lines with data plans are NOT supposed to receive the 20% data discount, only the PRIMARY line receives it (where the discount is through). We have had the data discount for years on the 2nd line...now all of a sudden its gone! It was not explained anywhere at the time of applying these data plan discounts that ONLY the primary is eligible. Yeah its only $6 a month but hey, that's $72 a year...

Please tell me there is something that can be done? Is it just that easy that "the glitch is fixed" and customers just need to deal with it?
    11-22-09 12:02 PM
    Yep, I got wind of that on a recent bill. Nothing that can be done, it seems. Even worse, if the secondary line holder is eligible for their own corporate discount, they can't apply it to their account because they're not the primary. Kind of sucks, but I'm locked down for another year or so to my contract. If I find better options elsewhere next year, I'll consider moving, but for now I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 12:17 PM
    Well there's nothing you can do. You were receiving a discount in error for who knows how long. Should verizon charge you back?

11-22-09 12:47 PM
    Well there's nothing you can do. You were receiving a discount in error for who knows how long. Should verizon charge you back?
    Yeah, that's what I was asking for...really...

I wasn't doing anything against the contract policy. The "system" apparently added the data discount incorrectly is the only thing that I can see. Don't you think it would be a good customer courtesy to send a letter, email, text explaining what would be changing in your account???

I wonder if this is true for ALL corporate discounts...?
    11-22-09 01:16 PM

I wasn't doing anything against the contract policy. The "system" apparently added the data discount incorrectly is the only thing that I can see. Don't you think it would be a good customer courtesy to send a letter, email, text explaining what would be changing in your account???

No, but you were asking for something to be done about the "72 dollars a year" when you shouldnt have been saving that 72 bucks a year to begin with. You slipped through the cracks and got a discount you should not have....Verizon caught it and corrected the error.... You should be happy that you saved that 6 bucks a month for as long as you did and not expect anything else.
    11-22-09 01:50 PM

You probably will get a letter or a statement on your bill.

11-22-09 02:02 PM
    Its not even VZW's fault it was removed. Your employer does not have an agreement to provide a discount to your secondary lines. And a notice was sent. I'm sure it was reviewed.....

11-22-09 02:29 PM
    Actually, if you were billed like that from day one and they changed it without notice you have the legal right to early termination without the fees most likely. Anything that alters the original contracted payment is grounds for getting out of the contract without fees. Wouldnt do it for 6 bucks a month personally, especially since, as weekend and itsthemusic have pointed out, you shouldn't have recieved that discount to begin with.
    11-22-09 08:24 PM
    No, but you were asking for something to be done about the "72 dollars a year" when you shouldnt have been saving that 72 bucks a year to begin with.
    I meant can something be done as in notifying the customer of the contract/agreement/rate change, something in writing versus just a surprising bill change. I was merely stating a dollar value that I was saving.

Given the warm responses to this inquiry it seems that not many people were affected by this. Maybe it was certain discounts that were applied incorrectly, maybe it was just a "system error." Maybe it had something to do with the store rep that activated our two blackberries at the time and possibly mistakenly put the data discount on the second line as well...who really knows or cares at this point.

What's done is done
    11-22-09 09:18 PM
    Actually, if you were billed like that from day one and they changed it without notice you have the legal right to early termination without the fees most likely. Anything that alters the original contracted payment is grounds for getting out of the contract without fees. Wouldnt do it for 6 bucks a month personally, especially since, as weekend and itsthemusic have pointed out, you shouldn't have recieved that discount to begin with.
    Umm no, because a discount through your employer is not part of the contract it is a benefit offered. Since any person the wrongly received the discount on the secondary line it is an extra benefit.
    11-22-09 10:14 PM
    Ahh gotcha Super. Makes sense, and as I said before, he shouldn't have got it to begin with so why complain.
    11-24-09 07:34 PM
    Get out without an etf for a billing system error in your favor that has now been corrected?

Come on. Stop with the $2 I got my legal education from wikipedia advice please.

11-24-09 07:48 PM
    Alright i'm fairly new here, been lurking alot however when i saw this I gotta ask a question. I picked up my BB in July. I am on a family plan with my corporate discount through my employer. We had asked the Verizon rep about my wifes phone and upgrading at a later date. The REP. suggested moving my phone to the secondary account and hers to the primary in order for her to be able to upgrade hers with annual upgrade instead of waiting full two years (she has different contract end then mine). I had specifically asked about the discount being applied to secondary line and was assured it was not a problem. Where does this leave me? Will i be able to move mine back to primary without breaking contract? Does that mean my wife will not be able to upgrade her phone for another year without paying full retail? Is it possible to upgrade her phone then move mine back to primary to get my discount back?
    11-24-09 08:40 PM
    I agree that a notification was warranted.

11-24-09 10:28 PM
    Get out without an etf for a billing system error in your favor that has now been corrected?
    Come to think of it, a rep promised me a credit of $8. When I got the bill, I was given two $8 credits AND THEY WOULDN'T TAKE THE CREDIT BACK!

I want out of my contract.

Oh wait - I don't do contracts. Rats - smelled a legal battle brewing where I could spend thousands on an attorney in an attempt to get out of $175.
    11-25-09 01:17 AM
    Alright i'm fairly new here, been lurking alot however when i saw this I gotta ask a question. I picked up my BB in July. I am on a family plan with my corporate discount through my employer. We had asked the Verizon rep about my wifes phone and upgrading at a later date. The REP. suggested moving my phone to the secondary account and hers to the primary in order for her to be able to upgrade hers with annual upgrade instead of waiting full two years (she has different contract end then mine). I had specifically asked about the discount being applied to secondary line and was assured it was not a problem. Where does this leave me? Will i be able to move mine back to primary without breaking contract? Does that mean my wife will not be able to upgrade her phone for another year without paying full retail? Is it possible to upgrade her phone then move mine back to primary to get my discount back?
    yes you can change your plan at any time with our contract extension or penalty your upgrade date is only based on when you buy phones not when you change your plan
    11-25-09 06:00 PM
    Actually you cannot get out of the ETF for a VZW error. We gave those discounts agains the Contracts from your employers. Everyone was notified either via your My Verizon messge center or a bill insert... which you customers never read anyways. Legally we do have the right to charge you back but that would be bad business. As for getting an ETF waived good luck on that one.
    11-25-09 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD