I purchased my BB on Saturday after my other phone broke- I am traveling a lot and will need to use my phone to access work email. However, I opted for the lower priced internet/email package plan while at verizon this weekend and now I'm curious if I will be able to sync up my work email (novell groupwise) even if I didn't purchase their higher priced "work" package. At $20 more a month that sounded kind of high.... Does anyone know?
    I know AT&T only has the one package at $29.99 a month and you can access any email account- work or personal. How do they know?
    Thanks
    02-17-09 01:41 PM
    Do you know if your business is already on a BES (Blackberry Exchange Server)?
    02-17-09 01:42 PM
    I would imaging- my boss and a few other co-workers have BB that they use to receive work emails....
    02-17-09 01:52 PM
    Goodness- I should proof read before I post- I would imagine (not imaging)
    02-17-09 01:54 PM
    If your work is on a BES, then you pretty much need to be also. Maybe they will pay the extra??? However BIS might just work it's worth a shot. Often (most times) RIM's BIS can set it all up with just your username and password. Worstcase you will need your office geek (my day job) to provide you with certain settings. Unfortunately THIS is my weakest BB subject. Probably your server addresses, your incoming and outgoing server addresses. Example smtp.mywork.com
    Last edited by pkcable; 02-17-09 at 04:49 PM.
    02-17-09 02:41 PM
    Just spoke with our IT guy- we don't have a BES, apparently it costs $3000 for 10 people- wow!
    02-17-09 02:47 PM
    In that case, the BIS is going to be your solution. Ask your IT guy if you can add your work email address (possible firewall issues) and that's that.
    02-17-09 02:59 PM
    is the BIS the higher priced package? Sorry- this isn't my world haha
    02-17-09 03:03 PM
    No - it's the Blackberry Internet Service for the non-work BB's and it's much less. I'm not sure about your carrier but T-Mobile is $19.95 a month.
    02-17-09 03:18 PM
    ok thanks- our IT guy didn't seem to think I could get my work email on mine... which sounds odd to me. I will keep searching, this is all too confusing to me! I have the lower priced BIS package right now but can't get into my work email, not sure why. Thanks for your help BlackBerryBob
    02-17-09 03:22 PM
    So you don't need BES (which AT&T also charges more for). Stick with BIS & setup your sork address similarly to the way you would any other email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 03:37 PM
    Most likely you need your server addresses incoming and outgoing. And it MAY be the same. Your IT guy can give them to you. Example mail.bigbank.com

However as Bob pointed out there MAY be firewall issues. These can be solved if your IT guy is willing to write rules letting the RIM servers access your company server, WHICH they may not be willing to do. Another possible solution is for them to set up a mail foward to a gmail, yahoo, or other web client email that your BB can pick up. Even if you already have one you can setup another gmail (for example) for your work mail janeoffice@gmail.com (for example). BIS on a BB can handle up to 10 separate email addresses.
    02-17-09 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD