i called verizon last week to enable unlimited data for international roaming on my bold 9650. so i travel to the following cities: beijing, shanghai, ** chi minh city, phuket, and seoul.

here is my result: i was able to get data in certain part of beijing (near forbidden city, tiennemen sq...but not near airport). i was able to get data in shanghai.

for ** chi minh and phuket, as soon as my plane landed i got a txt msg saying to switch to gsm in order to get data...so i went mobile connection setting and change the "network technology" from global to gsm/umts. but still nothing.

in seoul, i was able to get data just find.

so does any know why i couldn't get data in ** chi minh city and phuket? someone i met was using an iphone from at&t and he was able to get data in phuket. but i wasn't able to get any data on my bb.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 12-22-10 at 08:32 PM.
    12-22-10 10:11 AM
    It can be many reasons. Did you call the global support number for help? If not I doubt anyone here will know the reason

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 05:36 PM
    i didn't call global support cuz the cost would be expensive. calling from abroad back to the states would cost $2/min!
    12-22-10 08:32 PM
    i didn't call global support cuz the cost would be expensive. calling from abroad back to the states would cost $2/min!
    The call to customer support is free when you are out of the country. I have done it many times before and can confirm that I have never been charged. Just call the global support number. They will give it to you when you sign up for the global data plan. To answer your original question, have you tried to manually change the gsm network that u connect to. I can't explain why, but I have been abroad with a strong signal but unable to receive data but when I manually changed the gsm network to another my messages started flooding in. Just an idea. Good luck.

12-22-10 09:53 PM
    The call to customer support is free when you are out of the country. I have done it many times before and can confirm that I have never been charged. Just call the global support number. They will give it to you when you sign up for the global data plan. To answer your original question, have you tried to manually change the gsm network that u connect to. I can't explain why, but I have been abroad with a strong signal but unable to receive data but when I manually changed the gsm network to another my messages started flooding in. Just an idea. Good luck.

yeah i tried to manually changed to another gsm carrier and still no luck. anyway i'm back in the states...so i can't test it until i'm out of the country again.
    12-23-10 09:10 AM
    Call Customer Support and verify that your SIM card is activated. I too was recently in Asia and experienced a signal lock issue. Called Global Customer support via Skype on my PC in Asia. It turned out my SIM card was NOT activated. Good luck on your next trip over seas.
    12-23-10 03:53 PM
    Global support is completely free, and from my experience, they are also extremely helpful.

As why you had poor reception...before you left did you update your roaming capabilities (*228, 2)? If not, that is most likely why. But if you did, I'm not sure what else could have been the problem other than just a poor coverage area.
    12-23-10 06:03 PM
    Its. Been a while since I was in Phuket but I was able to use Data on my old Tour there & Hong Kong also Manila & various other places in Philippinines. Have Sprint service but that shouldn't make a difference

12-23-10 06:09 PM
    First off, the 908 provided to you is toll free from the phone. If the phone is not working or is working, then call and provide a call back number and the rep will call you right back.
    12-23-10 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD