Reps, i will be getting the storm of thursday. I will be traveling to Italy for 3 weeks during the month of May. I figure I will just add the GlobalEmail option to the phone for $64.99. But how does the GlobalPhone work? How much does it cost? And what is the deal with text messages, How much do they cost?
    04-27-09 09:31 AM
    Not a rep, but im somewhat well versed in international options, mostly from just reading VZWs website though.

In Italy, Your cost per minute is $1.29/min or $0.99/min (with $4.99 value plan) Basically if you'll use more than 15-20 minutes during your time over there, get the value plan. At some point though it might even be more worthwhile to get a prepaid sim for voice, probably if you think you'll be talking for 60-80 mins or more. google 'prepaid sim italy' for options. Just remember if you opt for a pre-paid SIM card, to get your phone unlocked (if its a world phone like the 8830 or Storm.

Texting will be expensive though and I don't think there are any plans available. I'd recommend using the globalemail option and just using BBM, Google Chat or some other messaging client that runs off your data.

Hope that helps.
    04-27-09 11:25 AM
    I am an international flight attendant so I am frequently in Europe. Which carrier has the best plan for international use and also has the best service in France, UK and Amsterdam?
    I currently have a Curve 8320 with TMobile. I pay about $100/mo for 600 min, myFaves, unlimited domestic and international emails. I would like to access websites, but that is extra and from Europe you get charged per megabyte for whatever you download.
    A friend has a Verizon world phone and is constantly on the internet and pays the same as I do.
    There doesn't seem to be a perfect phone or plan out there. I thought Verizon's CDMA was not as good as GSM.
    Any recommendations?
    Please answer in English as I don't understand a lot of the tech talk yet. Thanks
    04-29-09 05:47 PM
    Love it, domestic and international email. email is email. I know with VZW and a global device like the 8830 or Storm and soon to be Tour (Niagara) there is the 64.99 data plan that is a feature that can added and removed from your account as needed, but from the sounds of it, you are over there a lot. when these devices are overseas, the use GSM not CDMA.

It is a hard call you would need to talk with both carriers and see which one will give you what you are looking for the best price.

Now for the non english. take the tinga ma giggy and hook to thinga ma bob and plug it in

As for CDMA vs GSM, I will open that can of worms again
    04-29-09 05:59 PM
    lastrid, how does the globalphone plan work? do i pay the $65/month for the plan and get charged per minute as well? How much will it cost to get the global email and phone together?
    04-29-09 07:08 PM
    There is no Global plan for the voice aspect. however, dependng on the location the is a international value plan that is 3.99 per month and can be added and removed as needed. This will reduce the per minute charge you are charged for calls.

You can the how the plan works by looking up the country where you will be and this site will also give rates per minute, with and without the plan

VZW International
    04-29-09 07:51 PM
    Thanks lastrid. Ill look into setting that up for my trip to Italy.
    04-29-09 10:39 PM
    When you get your Storm, be sure they activate your SIM card. You will need it when you go overseas. Also, have them add I-Dial (Internat'l Dialing). This is free, but needed, too.

If you have a discount on your acct thru your employer, the $4.99 value plan is free. As snork mentioned, it will lower your price per minute of calls.

Text messaging is available. It shows the prices on the web site lastraid posted. You will pay per text even if you have a texting plan. It's generally 50 cents or so a message.

VZW has a Global Support Dept that handles all this 24/7. You can call *611 or 1-800-922-0204 and ask for Global Support. They are highly trained and can answer any questions.

One more thing, be sure to put insurance on your phone.
    04-29-09 11:03 PM
    thanks alot brezzygirl
    04-30-09 07:14 AM
    You also may want to see if they will unlock your phone for you so you can use another carriers SIM card. I have the 8830 and with a call to global services they unlocked my phone.

The other thing I would suggest is if you get the global plan added onto your account, make sure you cancel it at least a day after you land back in the states. I canceled it the day I landed and got hit with $55 in Data roaming charges for that morning. I got VZW to remove it but it was a fight.
    04-30-09 01:52 PM
    I am an international flight attendant so I am frequently in Europe. Which carrier has the best plan for international use and also has the best service in France, UK and Amsterdam?
    I currently have a Curve 8320 with TMobile. I pay about $100/mo for 600 min, myFaves, unlimited domestic and international emails. I would like to access websites, but that is extra and from Europe you get charged per megabyte for whatever you download.
    A friend has a Verizon world phone and is constantly on the internet and pays the same as I do.
    There doesn't seem to be a perfect phone or plan out there. I thought Verizon's CDMA was not as good as GSM.
    Any recommendations?
    Please answer in English as I don't understand a lot of the tech talk yet. Thanks
    For now Verizon has the best internation data plan. You will be on Vodafone in Europe. What airline are you with?
    05-15-09 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD