Hey quick question.......If i dont have an international plan on my Tour, will browsing the web and emailing from another country get me charged an international fee, or does that fee only apply when you make calls??? I have unlimited data on my plan, just not international.
    01-17-10 11:03 PM
    From my understanding you need to add Unlimited Int'l Data to your plan before you leave. Otherwise you will get charged out the wazoo for data. Depending on where you go, it could be $5+ per megabyte.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 11:10 PM
    call them and get it added. you will be shocked at your bill if you don't get the plan
    01-17-10 11:35 PM
    If you have your SIM card active with no plan, it's 0.02 a KB, if you don't have the SIM card active it won't work. Depending on where your going it's 64.99 or 69.99. Call Global services for more details.
    01-17-10 11:41 PM
    So as long as I dont access any emails i receive or browse the web while in South AMerica, Im good as far as fees go then right?
    01-18-10 01:39 PM
    So as long as I dont access any emails i receive or browse the web while in South AMerica, Im good as far as fees go then right?
    How long will you be in South America? You can switch to the global roaming plan. Verizon will prorate it for the amount of days you specify. It is $35 more than the basic $30 plan but you will have unlimited BBM, email and internet. For phone calls you pay the roaming rate/minute of the countries you are in.
    01-18-10 04:23 PM
    Be careful. Lots of things use data including many applications.

If you don't want to get charged and don't want to use data, the best thing to do is to turn the data off completely on the device.

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services > OFF
    01-18-10 04:38 PM
    I just took a 10 day cruise and I can verify that if you don't add international roaming you'll get charged a TON of money. ATT rep said over a thousand dollars was reasonable. the trouble is, since it's a smart phone, it keeps looking for signal and pushing email. some of the charges you'll see are from the ship, if you take a cruise, but the only way to stop it is:

1. leave the phone at home
    2. take the battery out while not in use
    3. purchase int'l roaming and switch back when you get home.

have a great trip!
    01-18-10 05:12 PM
    I was in Mexico for 8 days, called Verizon CS and spoke to the International department before I left, the added charge was only $20.00 USD, not bad at all. The package I'm speaking of has unlimited roaming, which is very important...
    01-18-10 05:15 PM
    Remember, chances are they will prorate the amount of time you're gone - so if you're gone for a week you'll only get billed for that week's worth of international data. Remember to turn it on at least a day before you leave, and turn it off the day after you get back. I've heard that if you turn it off too early you can get hit with heavier roaming charges because it takes longer to report from other countries than it does from here. Of course, South America isn't across the Int'l Date Line so you may be ok to turn it off the day you get home (I would still wait until the next day just to be safe)
    01-18-10 05:24 PM
    Remember, chances are they will prorate the amount of time you're gone - so if you're gone for a week you'll only get billed for that week's worth of international data. Remember to turn it on at least a day before you leave, and turn it off the day after you get back. I've heard that if you turn it off too early you can get hit with heavier roaming charges because it takes longer to report from other countries than it does from here. Of course, South America isn't across the Int'l Date Line so you may be ok to turn it off the day you get home (I would still wait until the next day just to be safe)

Correct, they prorated my plan for what I used, I belive for the Internation plan, It's $69.99 USD a month. All you have to do is tell them when you're leaving and when you're coming back. Mine started at 12:01 a.m. on the day I left and ended at 12:01 a.m on the day I returned...
    01-18-10 05:29 PM
    You won't get billed for any data but you would be correct in saying that you will only be billed for the amount of time you have the global roaming plan.
    01-18-10 07:40 PM
    sounds like good advice to me. thanks for the tips!
    01-19-10 12:49 AM
    I use the global email service, I turn it on and off every month, sometimes twice per month. The global service folks are very nice and when you call you get straight through after one prompt, no hassle. Make sure the first time you call they activate your SIM card, they will verify the card number with you and walk you through a series of steps to make it active. The first time I called before I left the representative I spoke with didn't do that and I arrived overseas to no service. I made a toll free call with a number provided in the global handout that came with the phone, and another representative patiently went through the whole process with me, I've never had a problem since. Great service, and it works everywhere.
    01-19-10 01:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD