I'm going to Costa Rica for two weeks and bringing along my Storm so I can send an occasional text/email update. The only "plan" Verizon offers for Costa Rica is $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive texts and $0.02/kb. I'm mostly worried about incurring data charges having my phone constantly turned on...

I'm setting up a new email account that only a few people will have and deleting my main one so I won't be getting a lot of emails, and I've removed all apps except BBM and Browser. Will my BB be incurring a lot of data usage even if Browser isn't open and I'm not receiving email? Also do you think it's cheaper to use BBM or text? Thanks!
    02-08-11 11:58 PM
    You would be better off getting your device unlocked and using a prepaid plan from a local carrier in Costa Rica. VZW should provide an unlocking code free of charge if you have been a customer for at least 3 months and your account is in good standing. Otherwise, try the Unlocking Forum. There are several reputable companies who can provide an unlocking code for a small fee.
    02-09-11 12:14 AM
    I went to Costa Rica with my storm and it didnt work. I had added on their international plan, it used to be unlimited but now they have a cap on it. (changed this month, bummed by this!!)
    I travel international rather frequently and have never had my phone not work. When I came back, I called to remove the international plan, and they said they cant guarantee the phone will work "everywhere".

One side note, I cant remember the exact date that I had my phone replaced, so I may have been traveling with an unactivated sim card. I thought I had activated it prior to leaving, but I could be wrong. So that COULD have been what it was too.

Oh and I just called TODAY and Verizon unlocked my phone for free. I first called the normal 611 and they knew nothing about it. I called back and spoke to the global desk and it took all of 5 minutes. My account is in good standing and I've been with them for more than 6 months. (i hear thats the criteria) They said they can unlock 1 phone for you, every 10 months.
    02-09-11 04:50 AM
    Well I definitely don't want to get down there and have my phone not work... The only problem I was worried about with the prepaid SIM card was that I checked ICE's website (the only Costa Rican cell phone carrier with the prepaid SIMs) and they list the phones their prepaid cards work with. Storm 9500 is listed, but not the 9530, so not sure if my phone would even be compatible with their prepaid SIMs. I guess I could take the chance, if Verizon service is bad down there... May I ask where you visited in CR? I'll be mostly in Manuel Antonio/Quepos, the outskirts of San Jose, and Tortuguero.

So as of now, not sure what I should do, but if I do decide to go with Verizon service, will the browser be using data/email even when closed?
    02-09-11 11:01 AM
    Well I definitely don't want to get down there and have my phone not work... The only problem I was worried about with the prepaid SIM card was that I checked ICE's website (the only Costa Rican cell phone carrier with the prepaid SIMs) and they list the phones their prepaid cards work with. Storm 9500 is listed, but not the 9530, so not sure if my phone would even be compatible with their prepaid SIMs. I guess I could take the chance, if Verizon service is bad down there... May I ask where you visited in CR? I'll be mostly in Manuel Antonio/Quepos, the outskirts of San Jose, and Tortuguero.

So as of now, not sure what I should do, but if I do decide to go with Verizon service, will the browser be using data/email even when closed?
    If youre not using the browser, as in, its completely closed because if your setting permit and you open a page, it may refresh it. I dont think it pulls data.
    I was told by a verizon rep if I deleted my email off my phone I would not incur data charges.

I would assume since Verizon has rates available for costa rica, it should probably work.
    I've had two storm handsets. On the first one, I called activated the sim, and traveled with it. Worked perfect. I took a trip to Europe, then the Costa rica trip, then another trip to Europe. I know I got a new handset before the 2end trip to Europe, I just cant remember if it was before Costa Rica or not. If it was before then my service not working may just have been that it wasnt activated.
    Assuming the SIM wasnt activated, when I called to add on the data package they didnt mention it. However, looking at the website the data package they put on my phone line isnt even applicable to Costa Rica... sooooo obviously the rep didnt know what they were talking about. LOL. Which Ive run into a few times when talking to the regular (very nice) reps compared to the global desk reps.

I was near Liberia. The service provider there was ICE too though. The entire country isnt very big. If youre only going to be using it for occasional email/data then I would say you wouldnt even need it. Everywhere I went there were internet cafe's.

Sorry wish I could be more help. Costa Rica was amazing. The food was great, the people were nice. Have fun!
    02-10-11 04:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD