Hey guys, I am going to China in a few months and just had some questions about international calling. I currently have a razor and a plan on Verizon. I was looking on their website and saw that they offer various world phones. I know that I need either a GSM phone or CDMA/GSM phone. I saw that the tour was a world phone but wouldn't it be a waste to get that because while I am in China I would be paying $30 data fee + minutes fees in the U.S. that I would not be using. Now do I need to get a sim card for when I am in China? Is their a cheaper way of going about making calls abroad? Thanks sorry for the noob questions!
    03-28-10 02:23 PM
    Are you asking if you need to get a local SIM in China for use with a Tour or with some other device?
    03-28-10 02:32 PM
    Just call up Verizons global support and have them switch whatever BB you get to global or unlock the phone. I'm pretty sure all of Verizons new BBs support global roaming. I know my Storm has it. Are you buying a BB just so you can use it in China. You're better off getting a prepaid phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 02:40 PM
    You don't need a Globlal phone for China but you would for Hong Kong. So if you want a Global phone and no data plan get the Escapade.
    03-28-10 02:47 PM
    Well I am going to be traveling to China this year and England next year so I figured buying a global phone might be a good option over renting but what are the prepaid phones like in terms of expense? I am not due for an upgrade but my mom was and she was interested in getting a blackberry so I thought I could just switch it over for the month or so I was going to be there to save some money. I basically just want the cheapest phone options.
    03-28-10 03:22 PM
    local calling card=easiest and cheapest

i've been to South Korea multiple times and Germany, i use my tour for Data only and use a local calling card for voice calls. or skype on my laptop.
    03-28-10 03:57 PM
    Well I am going to be traveling to China this year and England next year so I figured buying a global phone might be a good option over renting but what are the prepaid phones like in terms of expense? I am not due for an upgrade but my mom was and she was interested in getting a blackberry so I thought I could just switch it over for the month or so I was going to be there to save some money. I basically just want the cheapest phone options.
    If you're going to travel a lot you can get the phone unlocked and you can use local SIM cards in the phone. So get an Escapade and unlock it...
    03-28-10 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD